A Christmas Loco

A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
MDLR

Post by MDLR » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:51 pm

"A" end is where the front of the engine would be...........................

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:55 am

That has turned into a real silk purse. How do you create that rusting/grime? It is really effective.
When I read the private sales I was disappointed I missed the opportunity but have to say it wouldn't have ended up so nicely finished....I
my locos always end up squeaky clean (and glue somewhere on the glazing).

DVT Dweller

Post by DVT Dweller » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:54 am

On British locos the A or No1 end is the cooler group end. This isn't the case on the cheap foreign crap we've been importing as the basic American design for the likes of the 66's is only a single cab and that cab would be at the opposite end to the cooler group, the second cab for the British/European build just being an addition to the basic design at the cooler group end therefore becomes the no2 end.

I think that makes it clear as mud.

User avatar
williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:20 pm
Location: York

Post by williamfj » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:34 am

That's a cracking little loco and the weathering is spot on in my opinion. :thumbright:

User avatar
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Post by tom_tom_go » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:01 pm

Brilliant Peter, glad you are happy with the running of it.

I found the worm drive on the chassis ran much smoother and better at slower speeds than a bevel gear version.

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5717
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:38 pm

Today I put the loco in a working environment and I think it fits in quite nicely!

Image
Image
Image
Image
I also found a photograph of a similar locomotive which I saw at some point in preservation. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I saw it as it must have been 20 years ago, but even at the time I was clearly impressed with the type. I'm sorry if the image is not perfect as this is a photo of a 35mm photograph.

Image

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:48 pm

Peter Butler:94895 wrote: I also found a photograph of a similar locomotive which I saw at some point in preservation.   Unfortunately, I can't remember where I saw it as it must have been 20 years ago, but even at the time I was clearly impressed with the type.    I'm sorry if the image is not perfect as this is a photo of a 35mm photograph.

Image
That was one of the Fowlers at Butterley - they were stored near the fence beyond where the garden railway now is. That picyure, however, was taken at Armley Mills in Leeds - look at the background!

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:54 pm

Another splendid job Peter. I do like the wethering, nothing like a bit of grime.

User avatar
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm
Location: North West Leicestershire

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:06 pm

MDLR:94916 wrote:
Peter Butler:94895 wrote: IThat was one of the Fowlers at Butterley - they were stored near the fence beyond where the garden railway now is. That picyure, however, was taken at Armley Mills in Leeds - look at the background!
I'd completely forgotten that Brian. Weren't there two of them? Any idea what's happened to them now?
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5717
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:07 pm

Thanks for the comments about the weathering Jim, and for the benefit of Bazzer 42 it was done after applying a thin spray coat of Windsor and Newton clear matt varnish, then a rust colour of acrylic paint applied by a fine brush with the right hand (as I am right handed) and immediately softened with a larger brush held in the left hand so that it is not allowed to dry before being worked.
Finally another finish coat of the same varnish and job done!
The varnish is made for the fine art market but is suitable for this purpose as it can be removed with white spirit and has no adverse effect on acrylic rattle can paint.

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:23 pm

Soar Valley Light:94933 wrote:
Peter Butler:94895 wrote: IThat was one of the Fowlers at Butterley - they were stored near the fence beyond where the garden railway now is. That picyure, however, was taken at Armley Mills in Leeds - look at the background!
I'd completely forgotten that Brian. Weren't there two of them? Any idea what's happened to them now?
There were two at Butterley at one time - one had been stripped for spares so was scarpped - the other one is the one you photographed!

User avatar
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Post by tom_tom_go » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:46 pm

Any chance of a video of her running Peter?

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5717
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:33 pm

tom_tom_go:95206 wrote:Any chance of a video of her running Peter?
I will post a short video of the loco running soon. At the moment the weather and a few other committments conspire against me.
My power pack (smaller than the original) is probably not up to the task for hauling much in the way of long trains and I am currently in the process of buying a new pack and charger.
Watch this space......

gringodon

Post by gringodon » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:00 pm

Very nice job on the rebuild and weathering! Would love to see it working, or would that be playing?

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5717
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:22 pm

gringodon:95259 wrote:Very nice job on the rebuild and weathering! Would love to see it working, or would that be playing?
You have categorised me correctly... I love making models, ones which will work on demand! The thing I don't do is work them (i.e. play trains!) very often, even though I went to a lot of trouble to create a railway for that purpose.
In our small local Model Club we are getting a few like-minded members who also have garden railways and share an interest in them. We have already had one open day at my railway (see another thread) and hopefully more will happen this year.
Centre buffers ordered today! New battery pack for better performance is in the pipeline. Still no brass rod for handrails to complete the job, but nearly there!

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:01 am
Location: haverhill suffok

Post by jim@NAL » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:12 pm

very nice train there peter your models always look fantastic

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5717
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:55 pm

Thanks for your comments and encouragement.
I'm already working on one or two new projects so I'll keep posting.

User avatar
Andrew
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3422
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Post by Andrew » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:14 am

Peter Butler:95283 wrote:Thanks for your comments and encouragement.  
I'm already working on one or two new projects so I'll keep posting.
Looking forward to them already... This loco's looking great, a real "workhorse", congratulations!

Andrew.

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5717
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:11 pm

I don't know about the weather where you are, but today was a 'T' shirt day here in West Wales, so time to Spring clean the railway!
Whilst clearing up the track removing all of the twigs and leaves I decided to give my Christmas Loco a test run.
Am I impressed? ........ You bet I am!
The loco is fitted with a speed controller which allows me to switch off the transmitter and let it go. It just went around with a small train for at least two hours without showing any signs of tiring. In fact I got bored first and switched it off but I have got the bug now and want to use my railway more frequently, which I have not done in the past.
If I can work out how to post video I will try to put some pictures on the forum.

DickH

Post by DickH » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:08 pm

Hi Peter, looking really good and glad to hear you want to "play" railways - my two steamers are off to Lightlines on Tuesday for painting - been a long wait - will post before and after pictures when they return and hopefully we can get a run on your line soon

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests