A Christmas Loco
-
bazzer42
That has turned into a real silk purse. How do you create that rusting/grime? It is really effective.
When I read the private sales I was disappointed I missed the opportunity but have to say it wouldn't have ended up so nicely finished....I
my locos always end up squeaky clean (and glue somewhere on the glazing).
When I read the private sales I was disappointed I missed the opportunity but have to say it wouldn't have ended up so nicely finished....I
my locos always end up squeaky clean (and glue somewhere on the glazing).
-
DVT Dweller
On British locos the A or No1 end is the cooler group end. This isn't the case on the cheap foreign crap we've been importing as the basic American design for the likes of the 66's is only a single cab and that cab would be at the opposite end to the cooler group, the second cab for the British/European build just being an addition to the basic design at the cooler group end therefore becomes the no2 end.
I think that makes it clear as mud.
I think that makes it clear as mud.
- tom_tom_go
- Driver

- Posts: 4824
- Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
- Location: Kent, UK
- Contact:
- Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Today I put the loco in a working environment and I think it fits in quite nicely!




I also found a photograph of a similar locomotive which I saw at some point in preservation. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I saw it as it must have been 20 years ago, but even at the time I was clearly impressed with the type. I'm sorry if the image is not perfect as this is a photo of a 35mm photograph.

I also found a photograph of a similar locomotive which I saw at some point in preservation. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I saw it as it must have been 20 years ago, but even at the time I was clearly impressed with the type. I'm sorry if the image is not perfect as this is a photo of a 35mm photograph.
-
MDLR
That was one of the Fowlers at Butterley - they were stored near the fence beyond where the garden railway now is. That picyure, however, was taken at Armley Mills in Leeds - look at the background!Peter Butler:94895 wrote: I also found a photograph of a similar locomotive which I saw at some point in preservation. Unfortunately, I can't remember where I saw it as it must have been 20 years ago, but even at the time I was clearly impressed with the type. I'm sorry if the image is not perfect as this is a photo of a 35mm photograph.
- Soar Valley Light
- Driver

- Posts: 1490
- Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm
- Location: North West Leicestershire
MDLR:94916 wrote:I'd completely forgotten that Brian. Weren't there two of them? Any idea what's happened to them now?Peter Butler:94895 wrote: IThat was one of the Fowlers at Butterley - they were stored near the fence beyond where the garden railway now is. That picyure, however, was taken at Armley Mills in Leeds - look at the background!
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"
- Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Thanks for the comments about the weathering Jim, and for the benefit of Bazzer 42 it was done after applying a thin spray coat of Windsor and Newton clear matt varnish, then a rust colour of acrylic paint applied by a fine brush with the right hand (as I am right handed) and immediately softened with a larger brush held in the left hand so that it is not allowed to dry before being worked.
Finally another finish coat of the same varnish and job done!
The varnish is made for the fine art market but is suitable for this purpose as it can be removed with white spirit and has no adverse effect on acrylic rattle can paint.
Finally another finish coat of the same varnish and job done!
The varnish is made for the fine art market but is suitable for this purpose as it can be removed with white spirit and has no adverse effect on acrylic rattle can paint.
-
MDLR
There were two at Butterley at one time - one had been stripped for spares so was scarpped - the other one is the one you photographed!Soar Valley Light:94933 wrote:I'd completely forgotten that Brian. Weren't there two of them? Any idea what's happened to them now?Peter Butler:94895 wrote: IThat was one of the Fowlers at Butterley - they were stored near the fence beyond where the garden railway now is. That picyure, however, was taken at Armley Mills in Leeds - look at the background!
- tom_tom_go
- Driver

- Posts: 4824
- Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
- Location: Kent, UK
- Contact:
- Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
I will post a short video of the loco running soon. At the moment the weather and a few other committments conspire against me.tom_tom_go:95206 wrote:Any chance of a video of her running Peter?
My power pack (smaller than the original) is probably not up to the task for hauling much in the way of long trains and I am currently in the process of buying a new pack and charger.
Watch this space......
-
gringodon
- Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
You have categorised me correctly... I love making models, ones which will work on demand! The thing I don't do is work them (i.e. play trains!) very often, even though I went to a lot of trouble to create a railway for that purpose.gringodon:95259 wrote:Very nice job on the rebuild and weathering! Would love to see it working, or would that be playing?
In our small local Model Club we are getting a few like-minded members who also have garden railways and share an interest in them. We have already had one open day at my railway (see another thread) and hopefully more will happen this year.
Centre buffers ordered today! New battery pack for better performance is in the pipeline. Still no brass rod for handrails to complete the job, but nearly there!
- Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
- Andrew
- Moderator

- Posts: 3422
- Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm
- Location: Bristol, UK
- Contact:
- Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
I don't know about the weather where you are, but today was a 'T' shirt day here in West Wales, so time to Spring clean the railway!
Whilst clearing up the track removing all of the twigs and leaves I decided to give my Christmas Loco a test run.
Am I impressed? ........ You bet I am!
The loco is fitted with a speed controller which allows me to switch off the transmitter and let it go. It just went around with a small train for at least two hours without showing any signs of tiring. In fact I got bored first and switched it off but I have got the bug now and want to use my railway more frequently, which I have not done in the past.
If I can work out how to post video I will try to put some pictures on the forum.
Whilst clearing up the track removing all of the twigs and leaves I decided to give my Christmas Loco a test run.
Am I impressed? ........ You bet I am!
The loco is fitted with a speed controller which allows me to switch off the transmitter and let it go. It just went around with a small train for at least two hours without showing any signs of tiring. In fact I got bored first and switched it off but I have got the bug now and want to use my railway more frequently, which I have not done in the past.
If I can work out how to post video I will try to put some pictures on the forum.
-
DickH
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests
