laalrattys scratchbuild plan 2011

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
laalratty

laalrattys scratchbuild plan 2011

Post by laalratty » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:57 pm

Well I've had a few months since completing my last scratchbuild, and I was thinking it was about time I did something else. However, events rather overtook the planned overhaul of my interpretation (not really a model as I'd made a few changes!) of Ffestiniog van 4. Firstly it was to be a bit of a cosmetic tidy up, and lowering on its bogies to make it look better with Taliesin. Then I thought that I would make it more like the original, and all first class. I was then browising over the dimensions of the original, and realised that the drawing I had used was undersized, meaning I had built the carriage too short. So now, I'm going for an "Accountants rebuild" and pretty much starting again from scratch with a new drawing!!

Image
The new hand drawn plan I will use, with the 6.735mm/foot one purchased for doing this carriage below.

Image
A bit closer up of the drawing, I do one of these for all of my carriages.
The new build will leave me with a lot of spare bits to make another carriage. Of what form, I'm not sure yet, might even go freelance! :shock:

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:48 pm

Your original maybe correct as this coach was extended by six feet to accomadate a further compartment before conversion to an observation coach.

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:53 pm

number 12 was, but number 11 wasn't. Anyway, it was too short by 1.6 cm, about 3/4 of an inch (ish) which certainly aint 6 feet! Will be to correct length now though, and I'll get the width a bit closer this time too, although a scale width would not match Taliesin well (the width is the only thing far out on the Roundhouse Taliesin, because of the need to make some to 45mm...)

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Your drawing suggests 197mm so at your scale whats that 29ft!

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:07 pm

Prototype length is 24 ft, 6 inches, so the model @ 16mm scale is 39.2 cm. Not sure where you got 197mm from. The note at the bottom of the purchased drawing is to remind me that the drawing is to 6.743mm/foot, not 7mm/foot

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:10 pm

Was checkin your grid squares ! I measured this coach last year from end to end window to window in great detail and came to this conclusion. Never trust a drawing! The inside measurement of the widest window is 32".

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:53 pm

Well the lounge has looked more like Boston Lodge carriage works recently...!
My "rebuild newbuild" of Ffestiniog Van 4 (formerly 11) now looks a bit like a carriage, with a floor, ends and one side. I've started on the interior, although this will be a long job with my desire to put as much in as possible that is like the real carriage (as of its most recent overhaul). This in itself is quite tricky, I've only one pic of the interior to work from!
Meanwhile, the directors carriage still needs a bit of finishing, I've built up the £10 IP "zoo car" bug box from IP and that mystery carriage that I was going to build from the bits of the first Van 4? Well I've started on that too, and it is indeed going to be freelance. A 5 compartment all third freelance carriage in fact. Following a quick drawing session on Saturday, this now also two ends, a floor and one side.
Pics are threatened...
Last edited by laalratty on Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:08 pm

would love to see pics. :D

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Well pics may well have been threatened, but it took a re-boot of the technology before I could finally show them!!!
Image
This is the model of Ffestiniog van 4, along with a photo of the prototype, and my model of Van 5 which it matches quite nicely. These two carriages usually run together at vintage weekends on the Ffestiniog.
Image
Observation end
Image
Guard's van end. Today I completed the addition of all of the beading, next up I will paint the body, including the side that is not fitted. Then I'll start on the interior, for which I have something special planned (hopefully!)
Image
This is the drawing of the other carriage I'm building, a freelance 5 compartment all third
Image
And this is progress so far, a basic shell. Addition of beading is to come, followed by the interior which will be much more basic

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:42 pm

Liking the look of van 4. I'm still trying to find a piece of ffestinog rolling stock for next years MOTY. This has given me some inspiration to perhaps go for something newer.

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:57 pm

Well I've been getting on with this pair of coaches, despite many calls on my time such as weekly volunteering visits to Ravenglass, and also starting on my uncles railway. However, the complexity and the fact I'm trying to make it as well detailed as possible means that van 4 has fallen behind somewhat compared to the 5 compartment all third saloon.
Image
The observation saloon is pretty advanced, however I'm completely lacking in photos of the other compartment and the guards compartment too.
Image
For the first time, I have sandwiched the glazing between an inner and outer layer of wood, having seen how much better the interiors of Lewis' carriages look compaired to mine. I will later add strips of wood round to represent the droplights. I might also remember to include some straps this time as well
Image
The third class saloon meanwhile is pretty much complete inside and ready for painting
Image
I've kept with my usual method of a single skin of plywood for this carriage, hence the relative speed with which this is coming together. For the first time with a third class carriage on the ANLR, I have made the seat base upholstered, making this the third class carriage to travel in!

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:58 pm

Very nice, in particular van 4. I think it will look great when finished with the high amount of detail. :D

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:40 pm

I have inspired you!!

LMS-Jools

Post by LMS-Jools » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:14 am

Looking forward to seeing them in the flesh. :D

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:51 pm

METHSSNIFFER:55986 wrote:I have inspired you!!
Well your carriage was one of a number of things that made me rip my old model apart and rebuild it. If mine looks anything likes yours when its done then I'll be happy

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Its comin on great keep it up! Im modelling an Alan Pegler figure at the mo as I know he loves travelling in this coach

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:49 pm

Number 11/van 4 has taken a back seat at the moment, because the all third 5 compartment saloon is very close to completion, needing just final completion of the paintwork, roof and transfers. It will take the number 9, which was the number of my old model of number 11/van 4 and donated its floor to the new build. "New" 11 will become ANLR number 11, thanks to another withdrawal making the number free.

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:58 pm

It's nearly ready...
Image
Actually managed to sort out some figures for this carriage, and for van 4/11 as well. These are modeltown figures, some purchased at Stoneleigh and others from my previous model of 11. The roof section is undergoing torture at the moment ready for fitting tommorow, along with the bogies. If this all goes to plan, some running trials are pencelled in for tommorow afternoon, followed by entry into service on Saturday. Then I'll restart on van 4.

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:02 pm

As photos on other topics have shown, number 9 is now in traffic and ratching up visits to NWAG lines. Since I've completed Hedgehog I've been working on the model of Van 4/11. Today it took a huge leap forward with the addition of the second side.
Image
This in turn meant I could put on the glazing on that side, and the inner side panels as well
Image
Image
Which then in turn meant I could add the rest of the seating in the first class compartment. Overall the carriage has moved on quite a lot as a result, hopefully I'll complete all the first class interior beading tommorow

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Its nearly there!!
Image
First class interior is done, apart from droplight straps and posters. As you can see, I've put figures in this one
Image
Here is John Cleese talking to Lord Faa Faas cousen...
Image
The guards compartment is nearly done, I need to work out how to model a vacuum setter though. The two colour paint job I've somehow managed to not muck up, more luck then judgement I'd say.
Carriage should hopefully become the latest of mine to be unveiled at the PTLR, where a King will be crowned...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests