Another Carriage Scratchbuild for laalratty

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:58 pm

You will find when you put your seating in and tables that this will add to the strengtht and if you put cross braces on your roof this will add further strenght to it. If you wanted to go that extra mile you could use a second layer of ply with internal detail scored upon it and glue to the inside.
Are you goin to use the brandbright method of forming the ducks

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:10 pm

The duckets will be the one thing my dad will make, he carves them from a single piece of balsa wood. I might put roof cross braces in as well but I think a top rail was good in this particular case because of the large windows. Normally with my coaches the tables/seats/partitions are enough to keep the sides rigid

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:16 pm

I agree thats where you need the strenght above the large windows Its coming together really well You are progressing better than me at the moment Im glued up with silicone rubber attempting moldmaking. Have you made coaches before!

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Post by mhlr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 am

METHSSNIFFER wrote:Have you made coaches before!
He blimin' well has, I'd give him a medal! I mean just take a look at these:

Image
Image

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:35 pm

I've slowly carried on with attaching the beading, and I've just about done the first side and have started on the other side. Certainly it is really starting to look like Ffestiniog van 5

Image
My dad has also manufactured a pair of guards duckets, although these will be fitted later. They will also have some beading to be attached to them, and there will be some on the ends to. Then there is also the interior to design and build. So although it is coming on quite well this carriage isn't going to be finished for a while!

SLRmidge

Post by SLRmidge » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:30 pm

I look forward to seeing the finished product :D

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:26 pm

After a week of chaos here that wasn't conductive to carriage building, this weekend has seen quite a jump with the Van 5

Image
Seats in on one side...

Image
The seat assemblies for the other side

Image
Then all the seats were glued in, and the second side attached

Image
It is now begining to look quite complete, indeed there are just the tables to fit to just about complete the interior, and the guards duckets for the exterior before the long process of painting can begin

MoelygestLR

Post by MoelygestLR » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:08 pm

in all seriousness have you ever considered taking on commisions, i wish i could build something like that, and I possibly (massive possibility) could if i had the time but I dont.

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:15 pm

MoelygestLR wrote:in all seriousness have you ever considered taking on commisions, i wish i could build something like that, and I possibly (massive possibility) could if i had the time but I dont.
I did during my gap year, indeed I almost built a rake of coaches for PTLR cecil but for one reason or another it didn't happen and I havn't got time to do commsions now, although if somebody wants me to build something I will consider it (especially if its something I've already built)

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:03 am

Sorry havent responded been busy as you know. Your coach is coming on great. Can I book a table for two please! Are you having a loo in the coach .. these can be fun to make and can add some humour too. Do not flush whilst in the station!! What they got away with years ago..hey.

LMS-Jools

Post by LMS-Jools » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:43 am

saw the coach in the flesh last night and very nice it is looking too.  8)
Last edited by LMS-Jools on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TonyW
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Post by TonyW » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:24 am

MoelygestLR wrote:... i wish i could build something like that ...
Me too! The problem I have with wood is that you can't solder it...
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:25 am

TonyW wrote:
MoelygestLR wrote:... i wish i could build something like that ...
Me too! The problem I have with wood is that you can't solder it...
Well you see my problem with metal is that you generally can't glue it... :lol:

MoelygestLR

Post by MoelygestLR » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:27 pm

And i just TRY to glue both! haha :lol:

I do prefer wood though, much easier to work, providing you have the right tools, I wish i had that belt sander of yours Tony, I could get some good results with that!

Hancockshire

Post by Hancockshire » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:53 pm

How much would it cost for me to buy one off you Christopher?

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:38 pm

Hancockshire wrote:How much would it cost for me to buy one off you Christopher?
I dunno, but would probably be somewhere around £80 (not including bogies)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:49 pm

You really should enter it in to MOTY, your our only hope of beating the chiarman's son this year if you are under 18!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

MoelygestLR

Post by MoelygestLR » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:52 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR wrote: if you are under 18!
He's not!

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:55 pm

Drat!
Well he should still enter it
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

MTA

Post by MTA » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:18 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR wrote:You really should enter it in to MOTY, your our only hope of beating the chiarman's son this year if you are under 18!
Obviously I'm not the only one who has noticed that, then :lol:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests