FR Hudson ballast wagon

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Post Reply
METHSSNIFFER

FR Hudson ballast wagon

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:38 pm

A latest scratchbuild from Mr Meths one of four so far.

Image

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:44 pm

Very nice, what materials did you use on this one? I would guess plasticard, with a wood frame. Should probably try playing with plasticard one day, but I like working in wood.

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:56 pm

There is a 3D printed version of this - http://www.mdlr.co.uk/hwag.html

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:03 pm

MDLR:103271 wrote:There is a 3D printed version of this - http://www.mdlr.co.uk/hwag.html
There are, but I know Methsniffer likes to scratchbuild his own wagons and coaches ;)

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:38 pm

I know of the 3d version. I'm building them with removable sides and ends as the prototype and a lot cheaper too. The wagons run on slaters Hudson wheels with replicated Hudson axleboxes. I will endeavour to post a clearer pic. The handwheel I owe thanks to the genius of Mr Colin Binnie.

Image

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:34 am

laalratty:103265 wrote:Very nice, what materials did you use on this one? I would guess plasticard, with a wood frame. Should probably try playing with plasticard one day, but I like working in wood.
I too like working in wood but I am afraid to replicate metalwork other than using metal, plasticard works better. I could make this wagon from brass sheet and solder etc but the cost and labour far outweighs the ease of using plasticard. The wagon itself is strong, robust and runs really well and no added weight needed.

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:42 pm

Modelling metal stuff is one reason why I should try to learn how to work with plasticard, as you say it is much better for representing metal then wood.
I'm guessing you are going to do more then one of these, given that the FfR can put together a long train made up of them, together with the bogie versions.

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:11 pm

You guessed right I have four done so far and probably make another two. This is all in aid of my deviation project. Much work to do.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests