Cheapycheap bogie coaches from STO

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Post Reply
TommyDodd

Cheapycheap bogie coaches from STO

Post by TommyDodd » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:57 am

Trawling some old emails I found an interesting link . Since it's described as G scale I'm assuming 45mm, and at first glance it looks like a passable stab at a rebuilt & modernised* coach from the 750mm Sachsiche Schmalspurbahnen.

Question 1: Has anyone tried these, and are they any use?

Question 2: Has anyone had a stab at regauging to 32mm?

*seriously, modernised. These coaches date from the 20s but some were rebuilt in the late 80s in the last days of communist East Germany, at which point six of the Saxon lines were still open as regular railways for year-round passenger & goods, and 100% steam.

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:17 pm

Oooh shiny, where can these be bought from for £50 +~ ??

MikeD

Post by MikeD » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:19 pm

I assume as the post said 'Hammonds' he means here:

http://www.hammondtoy.com/shop/agora.cg ... %20FACTORY

which a quick check with google turned up.

Of course, the link to STO in the first post:

http://www.storacingproducts.com/passen ... scale.html

has the plain coaches at £31.20 each....

Mike D

TommyDodd

Post by TommyDodd » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:14 pm

Keith&Joanna:59242 wrote:  They would be rather large on 32mm though!  
A lot of use-on-either-gauge stuff is, but doesn't look too bad on it. I've just held up a ruler to Charles Pooter and she's 11cm broad, a 16mm scale 6'10", so I'd class the 11cm width given in the website blurb as "porky but passable" (a bit like me). 17cm (10'7" ish) is quite tall, though. Have to give this some thought. I don't suppose anyone has a pic of one coupled to a Lady Anne, to see what the combination looks like?

Pendo Pilot

Post by Pendo Pilot » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:27 pm

Narrow Minded may have, he had some cheapy cheap coaches that may have been the same as those (& he does have a Lady Anne!).

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:40 pm

I wonder how they'd look behind a Janet?

Also, how the hell would one regauge one of these...and lift the body for repainting :S

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:13 pm

Pendo Pilot:59266 wrote:Narrow Minded may have, he had some cheapy cheap coaches that may have been the same as those (& he does have a Lady Anne!).
Part chopped 'em for the "W&L-esque" coaches before they'd turned a wheel I'm afraid (they're a tad long for my line) :roll:

I'd certainly say that they're excellent especially at the price, with bags of potential for "bashing". - There's a Youtube vid of someones modded rake as I recall.

User avatar
dougrail
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: Salopia; on the edge of Arcadia

Post by dougrail » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:08 pm

They doo look good with that Jack..!

Now, if only I could regauge 'em and redo the coupling...

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:27 pm

After looking at these more closely I quite like the idea of them. I think it would be quite easy to make them look a bit more british. by creating an overlay to represent the panelling they could look along the lines of the W&L carriages. I don't think it would be a long job to regauge or change the couplings too.

KVSRmanager

Post by KVSRmanager » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:54 pm

I spoke to the guy that runs the local model shop recently, He said (with regards to the LGB stuff) that they make a direct swap with Accucraft wheel sets but somebody that he sold one two just cut the plastic sleveing between the wheels on the axle and added on the outside to stop the wheels from a wanderin'

IrishPeter

Post by IrishPeter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:58 am

Actually if they are 750mm in the original, and the G sclae here is 1:22.4 not "Gummi" then rebuilding them to 32mm gauge is not that far off. DDR 75cm gauge stock tended to be BIG!!! 32 time 22.4 equals 717mm. If course, if they were half-inch scale it would be perfect, but foreigners have never learned to use proper Imperial Units! ;)

Peter

TommyDodd

Post by TommyDodd » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Went back for another look and my original link appears to be kaput, but the company's pages are still live- just no mention of G scale goodies. From this I assume they don't sell them anymore. So, are they available elsewhere at a similar price?

User avatar
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver
Posts: 2372
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:25 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Post by Chris Cairns » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:34 pm

A similar style of DB coach has previously been available on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-G-SCALE-4 ... 3da&_uhb=1

Chris Cairns.

Annie

Post by Annie » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:42 pm

These coaches are so highly convertible to a type that ran on NZ railways which means that I'm going to look into buying at least two of them.

Image

TommyDodd

Post by TommyDodd » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks for that. Unfortunately by the time I got home they'd all gone and the item was delisted- no longer available. Peachbottom is seriously unimpressed as they were going to be her Zillertalbahn train. Better keep an eye out in case more show up, then.

Annie

Post by Annie » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:12 am

I see the same ebay seller has bogie frames, wheels, coach bodies and roofs available as spare parts.

SpudUk
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 329
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 pm
Location: Bridgend

Post by SpudUk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:47 pm

If you're interested I've just noticed they're available through here:

http://www.gscaleonline.co.uk/epages/es ... LING_STOCK
Chris Auckland

DVT Dweller

Post by DVT Dweller » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:24 am

Seems Newqida went into hiding for last year, but starting to show up again.

I got mine from Hamond toys across the pond, in total I think it cost £105 for 4 by the time I'd paid import charges etc. Mine were the pola express/northern lights rake, the plan is to respray them at some point as an 'everyday service' train. I re-wheeled them with GRS steel wheel sets and made up some drag beams from plasticard to fit accucraft choppers to the out ends.

It seems Hamonds habe got them in stock again:

http://www.hammondtoy.com/shop/agora.cg ... 7331&xm=on


I know it's not a full shot but it gives you an idea height wise next to my VoR:


Image

Steve

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests