MOTY 2012

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Post Reply
taliesin001

MOTY 2012

Post by taliesin001 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:56 pm

I have been thinking about what to build for next years MOTY competition since the day after the last show. I think I have finally come up with an answer in the form of the welsh highland ashbury buffet car. This will form the third carriage in the 'rainbow' rake and will be painted in the less bold colour of all over green as it is now. I do remember there being some interior shots of the newly restored carriage on the internet but can't find these now. I will have to pop down to the welsh highland heritage next time I'm in wales. I look forward to starting on this project.

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:50 pm

Excellent choice, I'm looking forward to this! When I built mine, the buffet car was in the course of restoration, and my complete disbelief that there would actually be a partition in the middle of a window meant that I didn't put this in, so as a model of the prototype it isn't exactly great. The opportunity for lot of interior detail is definatly there as well. Lets hope nobody enters an ambulance wagon in the passenger trophy next year :roll:

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:24 pm

Outside layer of the first side done. The next job will be to copy this to produce the other side. I will then scribe the planking and then paint.
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Bit of an update, the outside layers of the sides are done, each made from two layers of plywood to make up the right thickness. I have also cut out the outer layer of the ends and marked out the planking ready to scribe. Due to being quite busy recently i haven't been able to do much to this coach, however its coming along slowly!

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:24 pm

matchboarding scribed and the sides and ends painted. Also made some of the droplights today along with two interior layers.
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:31 am

Very neat!

Do you cut your windows that square, or are they finished with a file? It's the corners I have loads of bother with :?

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:45 am

I use a round punch to create a hole in each corner and join these up with the straight edges so in the end your left with a round cornered window. I then just square these off by eye.

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:40 pm

Always a tricky one those corners and we cant all afford a laser cutter and Ive done a few coach sides cutting to the point of the arc and cutting diagonally across then filing and finishing with a round file.

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:02 pm

I have decided to take on another carriage to enter into the MOTY competition aswell as this one. I started this a couple of weeks ago but is already ahead of the buffet coach. The decision has come after i have found out that the buffet coach was converted back before the era that i model, therefore it would be inaccurate to fit it meaning the coach reverted to an all third. However there was evidence of a small tea table type arrangement that i will incorporate, or i might just fit the full buffet interior anyway. i am also finding it quicker to build two coaches side by side, despite being quite different. Pictures of the progress of the latest carriage to come later.

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:12 pm

Here are the pictures of my latest build, the gladstone coach. Despite looking quite a simple build it's actually more awkward with the varying thicknesses of the open and closed sections. However I think it's gone alright. I now plan to get the buffet coach up to this stage.
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:16 pm

Oh yes! :D

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Does anyone have any idea whether the gladstone coach always had a first class compartment. Im modelling it in 1930's so just wondered whether it was downgraded to third at this time. Any help would be appreciated on this?

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:01 pm

I havn't seen the pictures before - its looking great!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:40 pm

I think it was always first class, certainly Boyd appears to support this (from a quick flick through just now). I think possibly some of the refinements were removed though, such as the curtains and possibly the lighting

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:42 am

Thanks very much! I was hoping it was first class :D I will try and upload some pics of the current progress of the coaches this week.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests