My slightly less secret MOTY entry

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:37 pm

I'm sure you will! I've been working on mine but haven't properly started revision yet, too busy on a load of art coursework that has to be ready for our final exam the second week after we go back!

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Post by mhlr » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:36 am

I should have been making my planned MOTY project but it never got further than the chassis/floor. I just can't be a**ed, and doing other projects. Next year, I'll be able to enter 2 projects though (although I'll be in the adult category then :( , so lesser chance of prizes!)

And Mr B, I think your railway's plan to get more passengers with advertising has gone over the top there. I'm surprised the sides aren't covered with DVLR posters etc haha! What happens when you move and you build a new railway? You'll have to still call it the DVLR! :lol:
Image

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:51 am

Hmm, if Peter Jones can carry the Compton down through his life with him, I am sure I can do likewise with the DVLR!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:29 pm

That's looking really quite something!

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:49 am

The brakes can hold the carriage standing at a 1 in 5 gradient, any more and the wheel just slides over the track!.
One pump of the small hand pump the the brakes are off and the carriage becomes very free rolling.
Once the system is broken or a valve is opened the brakes take 10 seconds or just under to be re applied and the carriage comes to a stand still. They are great fun, I shall put pics up soon as I doubt anyone could replicate them in the 2 days and 22 hours left!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:52 am

Mr. Bond of the DVLR wrote:The brakes can hold the carriage standing at a 1 in 5 gradient, any more and the wheel just slides over the track!.
I would say that that was quite adequate!

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:00 pm

Especially for a railway in suffolk.....
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:28 pm

When you going to post some pics of the braking.? 'Cos i'm curious :D :D :D :D

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:17 pm

Well, not quite yet, but I can show you the carriage on a not quite 1 in 5 test track!
Image
The teak is looking really lovely and orangey!
Image
My new crest!
Image
And the carriage holding up the break carriage as well! No dodges just fantastic breaks...
Image
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:35 pm

Wow, looks great! :D Not long now, just finishing touches!

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Post by mhlr » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:03 am

Fancy looking coach there Mr B! Still not convinced on the actual 'point' of having working brakes, but still, very nice.
Image

George

Post by George » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:27 pm

wow looking goooood mr bond! :D

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Don't forget to do an information sheet - for the punters AND the Judge!

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:52 pm

Oh crumbs I had forgotten... I'll get it done
Well it is VERY NEARLY done!
Image
the exterior now with finished roof!
Image
Blackout material was used for the roof, I had some left over from making my organ - perfect!
Image
This holds the button battery which powers the LED light. It was a hell of a fiddle to solder up.
Image
The lights working, but who's that?
Image
It's Nat Gortag! Should he stay in there for the show? If so I will have to file his bottom down a little so he fits in under the luggage rack.
Just a little weathering to go now and it is finished! I can't help but feel I have forgotten to take a picture of something and put it up here but what.....??
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:55 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR wrote: I can't help but feel I have forgotten to take a picture of something and put it up here but what.....??
Definatly the far end doorknob



:lol:

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:58 pm

oh yes I soldered those up today out of brass plate and rod. I need to put in the door window leather strap thingys looking at the pictures. But there was something else that everyone wanted to see... can't put my finger on it...
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:27 pm

It's gotta be the brakes!

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:28 pm

oooOOOOOooooh! thats it! OK, ok I'll go and take some pictures! I have been informed that it is probably best not to reveal all of my secrets just yet..... so I shan't be letting on today - sorry. Just allot rides on this and it is a system which could possibly be replicated in a day...
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:22 am

Looking forward to the pics later! :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests