My slightly less secret MOTY entry

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
SillyBilly

Post by SillyBilly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:46 pm

mhlr wrote:what are you going to use as a vacuum pump?
I think you'll find you need compressed air for air brakes Pete.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Post by mhlr » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:14 am

SillyBilly wrote:I think you'll find you need compressed air for air brakes Pete.
Oh he's doing air brakes then? A bit easier in that case, still, can you get some sort of air pump that small? Are they going to be operated by R/C?
Image

Merddin Emrys

Post by Merddin Emrys » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:51 am

is it some small co2 gas cylinder to power the brakes?

Endless, Nameless

Post by Endless, Nameless » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:50 am

A syringe might work. Bit pikey though, but worth a try.

User avatar
TonyW
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Post by TonyW » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:57 am

A friend of mine put steam heating on his rolling stock a few years ago. It looked very effective on a cold day.

Just a thought...
Tony Willmore
Rhos Helyg Locomotive Works: http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RhosHelygLocoWorks

Merddin Emrys

Post by Merddin Emrys » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:09 pm

steam brakes?

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:39 pm

Nope, not vacuum or steam breaks. They are positive air pressure breaks. For now I have a small air pump mounted in a guards van. When the air pressure is pumped up in the system the breaks are released and you can move off. If the train comes apart or you want to stop the pressure moves back to normal by a valve or by the hoses coming apart and moves the breaks across the whole train to the on position. It is thus continuous breaking. A steam pump will be considered in the future. All is very top secret at the moment as I am not sure if this has been done before and don't want any one (mini town) stealing my idea! I'll put pics up a few days before the exhibition as I recan it would take about a week or so to replicate the breaks... The carriage is coming along well with alot more of the match boarding completed. I am having trouble making the roof as I keep on getting it wrong! I have also lost my memory stick with all the designs on... oooh er!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:06 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR wrote:The carriage is coming along well with alot more of the match boarding completed. I am having trouble making the roof as I keep on getting it wrong! I have also lost my memory stick with all the designs on... oooh er!
You'd do worse than to glue strips of wood edge-to-edge like what I do.............

Image

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:33 pm

Really good luck with the air brakes, I take it you arn't bothering with cylinders on every carriage with the associated triple valves etc!
Not sure a live steam air pump will work that small, we have enough trouble keeping the steam pumps on the locos at Ravenglass working due to the small size of the parts in valves. An axel driven pump might be a better option, with a reservoir and valve somewhere on the loco or in a carriage

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:46 pm

quite true, all my carriages will have cylinders on them when I am done and all non braked stock will have a pipe running the length and brake stands to make sure that all braked vehicles have an air supply. I am maniacally designing the remaining bits tonight as I only have tomorrow left at school and that is where my -cough- I mean the LASER cutter is.
Brian I have followed you're advise and am sticking alternately coloured strips onto a frame of arches to make a removable roof but the arches have been the wrong profile so far and not large enough. I also have to have a split roof. 2 little roves for the balconies and a large removable roof for the main compartment. This tiered roof looks a little odd but I am adding curved ends to the large roof to add more character. The brake shoes are proving troublesome as well!.
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:18 pm

a little update, everything is designed and ready to be cut out. The roof is still puzzling but we'll see how it goes tomorrow!
Footsteps were nearly forgotten. Do I need working lighting as well do you think? I haven't the foggiest where to put the battery box now that the down stairs is filled with brake cylinders etc...
for the little balcony rooves should I make arched cut outs at the edges where they come down so people do not bang their heads?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:33 pm

You could have a battery pcak in a gaurds van and pipe it down the train?

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:34 pm

good idea but too much piping to connect and un-connect when coupling!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Looking good and not long to go now at all! :D This morning I have been attempting my roof. Along with a number of other things on this coach the roof is another awkward feature that at first doesn't seem so. It is in two layers, one hanging over the other at thre sides but flush at the ends. It is also quite thick so I have scribed both layers to make it bend more easily, steamed them and left to form the curve whilst away on holiday. Mine isn't going to be removable though. :D After that there are just a few more detailing bits to put on, aswell as the lettering on one side so it should be finished by stoneleigh. I don't want to be finishing it the night before like I was last year!

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:23 pm

My roof has gone well, I now need to coat it, it is removable and made of individual alternately coloured strips of wood, the curved beams holding them are inscribed in tiny letters with Deben Valley Light Railway!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:46 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR wrote:............the curved beams holding them are inscribed in tiny letters with Deben Valley Light Railway!
Now that IS silly!!! ;)

Well done - I look forward to seeing it next Saturday!

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:28 pm

Got allot done over the weekend, painted everything underneath black with acrylic paint "lamp black" lovely stuff it is, just slop it on and it dries mat and even! The balcony ends were painted black as well and the lettering was picked out in gold - more sillyness!
Image
The exterior of the carriage was varnished teak but I still have another coat of teak to go. I will then "repair" a few bits to the body work and apply one last layer of varnish to make it look like it has been in the shops a few times. Image
Image
Image
Here you can clearly see the brake hanger for the working brakes but I am not letting on yet...
Image
The interior all painted and varnished nicely! Image
and here's that very silly roof!
Still lots more to do though, finish braking, finish varnishing, then there's the balcony ends to properly fit with their rooves, the lighting to install, roof top to finish (guess what colour!) couplings to add and the 45mm gauge exhibition rack to make (they didn't have any 45mm gauge track to have the picture taken with last time which I was most annoyed about...!
Oh and plenty more revision for my exams. All in 4 days and 13 hours- AHHHHG!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:35 pm

Looking great and I LURVE the lettering!!!!! :D

It'll be nice to have a good look at it on saturday :D

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:17 pm

I guess the roof will be white then! In my view a very good choice, white roofs always look good on varnished coaches, also on festiniog vintage stock of course. :D

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:28 pm

oh but of course it will be white! I bloody hope I can finish this in time ooh er!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 65 guests