A train for 'Victor'

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Post Reply
MTA

A train for 'Victor'

Post by MTA » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:44 pm

After what has been a very long period of inactivity for me on the 16mm front (the usual things: work, college, life in general!), I had to do something 'simple' to get me back into it.

I bought some of AnDel's workmen's coaches, as I took the dimensions on their website and got the steel rule out they seemed to be what I was looking for; a suitably sized set of 4 wheelers to suit my much-modified MSS loco 'Victor'.

As with all AnDel kits they went together very quickly and with minimum fuss/effort (after removing flash etc.) The only issue I encountered was with the two covered coaches, where the roofs' had distorted. Several spring clamps sorted that though during the assembly process!

The only departure I've made from the instructions is that the roofs' are removable for when I get around to adding passengers. A brakevan is to follow...

Image

Matt

Post by Matt » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:48 pm

wow, looking great.

User avatar
Dannypenguin
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 am
Location: Forest of Dean, UK
Contact:

Post by Dannypenguin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Like that loco :)
Dan

Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/

User avatar
TonyW
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
Location: North Wales
Contact:

Post by TonyW » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Aaahh, Victor ... I remember him well! And I'm very pleased to see he has not been confined to indefinite storage.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:01 am
Location: haverhill suffok

Post by jim@NAL » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:41 pm

very nice

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:12 pm

Sweet! ;)

User avatar
williamfj
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 605
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:20 pm
Location: York

Post by williamfj » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Nice to see Victor again and those AnDel coaches are really nicely proportioned for him too.

LnBmad

Post by LnBmad » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:31 pm

Cracking work that! I must get a mss loco...

User avatar
Andrew
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3422
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Post by Andrew » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:32 pm

Yes, very nice. I've got an IP Jane that's due for a repaint and Improved Engine green's very tempting, looks great on Victor...

MTA

Post by MTA » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:42 pm

TonyW:92539 wrote:Aaahh, Victor ... I remember him well! And I'm very pleased to see he has not been confined to indefinite storage.
He is very much a 'shelf king', I've run him on a handful of occasions since you worked your magic.

Needless to say, he gets a thorough clean after every running session!

MTA

Post by MTA » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Andrew:92575 wrote:Yes, very nice. I've got an IP Jane that's due for a repaint and Improved Engine green's very tempting, looks great on Victor...
The colour is very much of a 'marmite' nature. I can well remember Tony's comments when he opened the paint tin!

I've often thought about buying another Mamod etc., upgrading it and having it painted in Marsh's Burnt Umber 8)

User avatar
Chris Cairns
Driver
Driver
Posts: 2372
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:25 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Post by Chris Cairns » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Si, great to hear you have time on your hands again to continue with your 16mm pursuits.

Your train certainly looks the part and almost difficult to believe it was a humble MSS at one time.
The only issue I encountered was with the two covered coaches, where the roofs' had distorted.
Just had a near disaster with my enclosed Workman's Coach. With the brake gear & steps already mounted the only way I could get the wrongly shaped roof to fit was to use elastic bands at either end. However I was not fitting them over a table, but rather standing up and the second elastic band 'twanged' back into my hand causing me to drop the coach. Fortunately the damage was a lot less than I expected and I'll just need to live with a crack across a window transparency.

Chris Cairns.

MTA

Post by MTA » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:58 pm

Chris, it's now that the main season at Amberley and Isfield have ended I have a bit more 'me' time. So I have a bit of respite until Easter!

You were very lucky by the sound of it. As we all know, resin is notoriously brittle as I found out the hard way when I dropped an AnDel bogie flat and broke off a coupling and the detail strapping on one end.

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:27 pm

Coaches look great, but my reaction to seeing Victor just now was virtually identical to my reaction when I first saw a photo of it...! :lol: (not a fan of Improved engine green....)

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5723
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:53 pm

The coaches have a distinct Emett, Festival of Britain look about them. I have been thinking of scratchbuilding some but will now look at the kits.

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:50 am

A lovely looking consist. What were you going to do for people?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

MTA

Post by MTA » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:40 pm

A few years ago I'd have said Rob Bennett; but after an outstanding order for the past four years and numerous reminders (including speaking to him in person at the last AGM) I'm looking elsewhere.

Problem is, there aren't a great many figures produced that are what I'm looking for...

User avatar
Superbiker_uk
Fireman
Fireman
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:36 am

Post by Superbiker_uk » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:47 pm

A really good looking MSS loco that :) and a great looking train to boot! Nice job ;)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:43 pm

There's allways Fimo Si!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5723
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:26 pm

Image
Image
These are some of the figures I make using Das clay on a wire armature. Sometimes a Miliput head is attached as the details are much finer.
My younger sons partner makes heads for me occasionally and she uses Fimo to great effect..... more understanding of the human form I think!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests