Bogie Coaches

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Post Reply
SapperAnt

Bogie Coaches

Post by SapperAnt » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:08 pm

Hey all

I'm looking for some bogie coache, preferably end-balcony type/tramsway style seating. Rather like the W&LLR or ALR. I also like the Victoria Railways ones.

However, as a skit student I cannot afford either the Accucraft models or the Brandbright kits

Can anyone recommend some suitable vehicles???

Ta!

User avatar
GTB
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:46 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Bogie Coaches

Post by GTB » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:29 pm

SapperAnt:72396 wrote:I'm looking for some bogie coache, preferably end-balcony type/tramsway style seating. Rather like the W&LLR or ALR. I also like the Victoria Railways ones.
You could look at the Bachmann US Jackson Sharp cars. They were also available as screw together kits, which would make modification and painting easier if you track some down.

The C&L and the CV in Ireland had coaches that were vaguely similar to these, as did some Aust railways, although you'd really need to cut back the clerestory ends to make them look British colonial, or replace the model roof with a simple arc roof.

Alternatively you could consider the balcony carriage in the IP freelance range as a starting point for some kitbashing. Fit doors in the ends, simplify the side panelling, shorten the running boards and extend the roof over the balconies.

Graeme

SapperAnt

Post by SapperAnt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Oo ok. I'll give them a look

I am tempted by the Andel models bogie coaches but they dont look very "Victorian" to my eyes.....

Im partially tempted to have a go at scratch building one of the Victorian Railways Narrow gauge coaches and one of their brake vans. Both used a common 25 foot chassis....where to find the drawings....

laurence703

Post by laurence703 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:19 pm

Have you looked at the IP Engineering coaches? They do a nice Fairbourne style balcony bogie coach.

Marquis DeCarabas

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:59 pm

SapperAnt:72430 wrote:Im partially tempted to have a go at scratch building one of the Victorian Railways Narrow gauge coaches and one of their brake vans. Both used a common 25 foot chassis....where to find the drawings....
If only you'd asked a week or so ago - I've got NBH, NC, NBC, NQR, NUU and NMM drawings stashed away in the country library.

Tinkers in the dark web: EDIT:

http://www.pjv101.net/cd/pages/c439m.htm

NAB drawing: http://www.pjv101.net/cd/pages/c435m.htm

NBB drawing:http://www.pjv101.net/cd/pages/c437m.htm

NQR (NBH outline) NMM drawing: http://www.pjv101.net/fts/u01/11835.gif

NC NAB NBD NB http://www.pjv101.net/fts/u01/11836.gif

HTH.
Last edited by Marquis DeCarabas on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SapperAnt

Post by SapperAnt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:02 pm

ARGHGH. sounds about right for me.

Ive found some drawings in 1:48 for rolling stock for other Aus. lines; some really good looking stock there.

But a bit daunting. Ive built vans; they are boxes with wheels. Coaches.....so much more fragile due to the windows. Im not sure whether to make from card or plasticard. Ive more experience in doing fiddly work in those two mediums than in wood.....

Marquis DeCarabas

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:13 pm

Check back - I've edited the message.

SapperAnt

Post by SapperAnt » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:43 pm

Sweet!

I really like the Innisfail and also the Buderim stock.

Its British outline but not quite. Buderim, alas is 2' 6" whilst Innisfail was 2'. :-) The coaches for the two look virtually identical; the Buderim guards van is certainly an interesting vehicle.

Marquis DeCarabas

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:00 am

Ah yes. Buderim. Really Rather Ugly Krauss.

SapperAnt

Post by SapperAnt » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:01 am

Yeeeessss. but the rolling stock is nice :-)

User avatar
GTB
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:46 pm
Location: Australia

Post by GTB » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:22 pm

SapperAnt:72441 wrote: But a bit daunting. Ive built vans; they are boxes with wheels. Coaches.....so much more fragile due to the windows. Im not sure whether to make from card or plasticard. Ive more experience in doing fiddly work in those two mediums than in wood.....
I think it was John Rogers writing in Garden Rail, that said something to the effect that coaches are just boxes with holes in the sides.......

Personally I will be using polystyrene sheet (Plasticard) when I get around to putting bodies on the pass car underframes I've got sitting on the workbench.

Wood is OK for goods trucks, but it's a lot easier to get a good finish with polystyrene. It also cuts clean and doesn't splinter. Plus if you are impatient like me, joints are almost instant if you use solvent. Card is generally too thin in large scale I think, but I've never liked using it anyway, even in HO.

For large models it gets a bit pricey buying polystyrene sheet from the model shop and the sheets aren't usually big enough for bogie stock. I bought my sheets of white high impact polystyrene (usually called HIPS in the trade) from a plastics supplier a couple of suburbs away. Polystyrene sheet is used for sign making and I think the sheets I bought were 1200mm x 800mm. I just slice off a strip as needed and store the rest of the sheet out in the workshop between sheets of plywood to keep light away from it. If light gets to it, it slowly turns yellow and brittle.
SapperAnt:72441 wrote:Buderim, alas is 2' 6" whilst Innisfail was 2'. :-) The coaches for the two look virtually identical; the Buderim guards van is certainly an interesting vehicle.
The track gauge of the original is immaterial as rolling stock size is based on a railway's loading gauge....

If you look at the drawing of the Irvinebank Tramway coach in Jim Fainge's list, you'll find it is 2' gauge, but wider than the 2'6" gauge Buderim stock. For that matter, the Puffing Billy line have for many years run pass cars from the 3'6" Mt. Lyell Railway on 2'6".

Regards,
Graeme

SapperAnt

Post by SapperAnt » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks Graeme

I was thinking of using mounting board or the very heavy grey card you can also get, you know like thes tuff you get as backs to sketch books or in the more superior men's shirts.

Ive been used Jim Fainges drawings and Im going to attempt one of the Buderim bolsters and then possibly tackle one of the coaches.

My loading gauge is dictacted by a) my locomotive and b) previous stock which was scaled to suit but loosley based on Irish practice.

I have to admit Ive been hooked on Aussie narrow gauge since being a kid and watching "Come Midnight Monday".

Marquis DeCarabas

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:15 pm

SapperAnt - if you PM me an email address, I have now got a couple of General Arrangements with more dimensions than you can shake a stick at, through the kindness of a gentleman out in Aus. In fact one of them was the first coach I ever tried to make myself. I think the bits are still in the depths of Pendre.

IrishPeter

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:34 am

Well, Victorian Govt Railway 30" gauge passenger stock is about the same size as my 36" gauge stuff which is built to the usual Irish tramway loading gauge which is pretty close to 9'6" H and 6'6" W. Of course when some line gets the full Calthrop treatment you are looking at 2'6" stock that's a foot wider than my 3' gauge stuff.

Ah, the joys of narrow gauge!

Peter in AZ

Annie

Post by Annie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:23 am

The 16mm Yahoo group at..... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/16mmngm/ ..... has some very nice litho coach sides and ends in their files section under the heading 'Cardboard Coaches'. The one in particular that might take your fancy are the sheets for the Innisfail Tramway coach which could be endlessly modified into all manner of colonial style coaches.
For a quick coach to get something running the litho sheet can be used as is, but if you've got a steady hand with a craft knife and you use the sheets in layers to get some depth to the door and window joinery you'll end up with a very nice coach indeed.

I'm planning on using these sheets myself to build a coach for the Kotanga Tramway so I'm not just flying a kite here :)

Annie

Post by Annie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:32 am

You might already know this, but the Jim Fainges drawing for one of these coaches can be found here..... http://www.zelmeroz.com/album_rail/qld/ ... /coach.pdf

SapperAnt

Post by SapperAnt » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:02 am

Oooh! :D I'll have to join

I have some scale drawings of the Innisfail stock but Ive not got around to scaling them up to 16mm scale.......

:D :D

Annie

Post by Annie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:51 am

Image
Image

These are the litho sheets; - tell your printer to 'fit to page' and they should printout full size for 16mm.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests