I was thinking of an idea for the brake van: I believe it may originally have been "Irish Peter"'s idea and I have been thinking about it for quite a while now: a little centrifugal governor inside the brake van that applies brakes to keep the train from speeding down grades.
In my job I work with machines with tiny little governors, unlike the traditional Watts governor, they have little "L"-shaped weights that are very compact. There are adjustable "speeder springs" on top of them that vary the amount of spring pressure opposing the outward motion of the weights and therefore set the speed at which the governor acts.
I'm picturing something like this hidden inside the van, with an adjustment knob for the speeder spring under a hatch in the roof. It wouldn't be difficult to build with some bits of metal. I suppose the van would have to be quite heavy so that the engine wouldn't just drag it around with its wheels alternately locking and releasing.
I would need to think of some way to drive the governor from an axle, and of course make working brake gear under the wagon.
You'll probably wonder why I don't just put a radio control in the engine, it's because I am a stubborn luddite and I feel like batteries, wires, and bits of plastic on a steam engine takes away from its, (excuse the made-up word) "steamengine-ey-ness". I would have no problem putting radio gear on a little electric engine, absurdly. I'm relatively young yet and don't have much trouble bending over to open and close the regulator, but a bit of mechanical speed control in the brake van would be nice if it would work.
Does anyone have any opinions on whether this would work or not? I think it has a chance of succeeding if the brake shoes can be made not to bind and enough weight can be on the wheels so the brakes can apply some resistance to the train against the herculean pull of its Roundhouse power source
Well, even if it doesn't work, I can use the home made governor to demonstrate the functioning of flyweight governors to new guys at my work.
I'm excited about the new kits anyway, I find assembling IP kits to be cathartic: not very difficult but not boring either, and the resulting models are nice looking with my Roundhouse engine.



