Hancockshire's carriage demand

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Post Reply
Hancockshire

Post by Hancockshire » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Could you give me some dimensions to Make a CAD model. I need
width
height(floor to roof & side height)
length
window dimensions
door dimensions
buffer beam dimensions
roof radius
window/door spacing
& wood thickness

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Post by mhlr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:43 pm

Hancockshire wrote:Could you give me some dimensions to Make a CAD model. I need...
Say "please" hancockshire... :roll:
Image

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:55 pm

You've been a bit vague there to be honest! So many of those values could have large variation depending on the sort of carriage you want, whether you want it to be scale or freelance, match commercial engines or go for something a different size. When I built my first scratchbuilt carriage I did also of this research myself looking at the dimensions on the various manufacturers websites. Although to help you, I typically make my doors 24mm wide, wood thickness is between 1 and 4mm depending on the part and what I have "in stock". Most bufferbeams are the same width as the floor, and I make all of mine out of 1/4inch by 1/2inch stripwood, this is what IP engineering uses

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:22 pm

What type of cariage, there are all sorts from bug box (ahhg) to bogie.
Balcony to bowsider,
Pickering to penrhyn...
I could go on but I've made my point I think!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Post by mhlr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:12 pm

I THINK he's after dimensions for the one you're making laalratty ;) :lol:
Image

Hancockshire

Post by Hancockshire » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:08 pm

sorry, Please. Pete- well done, you got it. I want the dimensions for Laalratty's project. At the moment, I'm working on a Cracker(on CAD). Going well so far. Here's the checklist
Running plate- done
Frames- done
Bufferbeams- done
Bearings-done
Chassis assembly- done
port block- done
piston- done
cylinder-done
cylinder cap- done
crank shaft-done
Flywheel- done
Cylinder/piston/crank assembly- done
Boiler- nearly
smoke box door- done
That is all things I've done
woops, another thing I done is gone off-topic
Bu99er sorry any way, I would like to show my CAD skills to you lot so you could maybe think about electing me Chief CAD designer on the forum. I've already designed PCLR's MMT(Mamod Minor Tram)& he's very pleased with it.

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:42 pm

I'll give you the basic ones, but I can't do all on that list, mainly because the dimensions differ so much round the carriage and to be blunt, I have not got the time to go trawling all over the drawing for all of the measurements
Length 48cm
Width 10.2cm
Body height 10.4cm (floor to roof 9.6cm)
Door I've told you 3cm wide by about 9.2 high
Roof radius, absolutely no idea, I just measure round a convinient cake tin

SillyBilly

Post by SillyBilly » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:09 pm

Hancockshire wrote:I would like to show my CAD skills to you lot so you could maybe think about electing me Chief CAD designer on the forum.
I think what you need to remember is that a few of us are/have done technical drawing basics both by hand and using CAD packages.

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:19 pm

You need to proove it, a highly comended at MOTY says I am!!
hee hee!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

MoelygestLR

Post by MoelygestLR » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:38 pm

And as I am learning to draw buildings plans at Uni, I'm quite good at the hand drawn versions (or will be when iv finished uni!)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Post by mhlr » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:50 pm

I've always been good at hand drawing stuff, and in DT, I have always done everything by hand :lol: Reluctantly (well, maybe not, could be good), I'm going to have to master CAD for the next things I have to do for A level.
Image

MoelygestLR

Post by MoelygestLR » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:26 pm

ohh yerr i forgot to mention I'm alright with CAD as well, Pete if your any good at IT you will pick it up easily. I find it easier that drawing sometimes, if you make a mistake you dont have to start all over agen and if you dont like the deisgn youv not wasted that much time as its quicker than hand drawing.

Endless, Nameless

Post by Endless, Nameless » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:45 pm

I can use fluid dynamics software to simulate airflow over a representation of an aerofoil drawn in solidworks and with variable geometry. Can I be Chief Simulating Airflow over an Aerofoil Person please?

Merddin Emrys

Post by Merddin Emrys » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:50 pm

can you tell me the optimum size of spoiler to fit to a Roundhouse Linda to improve traction on a damp rail (whenever it arrives) :lol:

Endless, Nameless

Post by Endless, Nameless » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:13 pm

How fast will it be going and how much downforce do you want? :lol:

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:26 pm

ooo, can I get that for edrig as well with slippy feet!

And some wings for when the mamods decide to runaway, they can take off then! :lol: :lol:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests