Festiniog Bug Box No.5

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
METHSSNIFFER

Festiniog Bug Box No.5

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:57 pm

As Im stuck indoors with the snow I thought I would have a go building a bug box. Heres the rolling chassis
Last edited by METHSSNIFFER on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:29 am, edited 9 times in total.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Post by mhlr » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:04 pm

Oh that looks good! Been having quite a lot of discussion on bug boxes here lately! :lol:
Image

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:05 pm

and the start of one side !! Inspired by Andel Models.
[
Last edited by METHSSNIFFER on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

MTA

Post by MTA » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:10 pm

mhlr wrote:Oh that looks good! Been having quite a lot of discussion on bug boxes here lately!  :lol:
It doesn't take long for the bug to bite :lol:

I'll get my coat... :oops:

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:19 pm

Maybe I will have the seat has a bed and call it a "bed bug box!"

Hancockshire

Post by Hancockshire » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:40 pm

Yep the bug box has bitten

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:32 am

One end complete!
Last edited by METHSSNIFFER on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:34 am

Looks good!
What colour are you going to paint it?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:47 pm

I thought about doing this colour scheme or maybe I might do the 1870s livery
Last edited by METHSSNIFFER on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:54 pm

What paint do you use to get that green "straight out of the pot" or do you have to mix it?

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:10 pm

I have a stock of FR Phoenix precision paint and ive been lucky enough to acquire enough of it, as they have discontinued their FR range now. Ive seen some modellers use red for the coach ends Im a bit unsure the FR used a scarlet red on their coaches as you can see in this pic its more of a brown/orange than a red

Merddin Emrys

Post by Merddin Emrys » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:49 pm

That looks great, I like the green colour scheme too and the ends are a orangey / brown sort of colour, I expect Will would know the actual shade

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:55 pm

It will be a time when I come to paint it, but any help on the orangey colour would help when the time comes. Thanks for your comments much appreciated Im busy doing the other end at the mo.

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:58 pm

Can anyone suggest an available make / brand of model paint that's a good match for FR green straight out of the pot ?

I've got a selection of Games Workshop green acrylics in front of me and the Emerald Green don't look too bad.

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:08 pm

Dont go by my picture that seems to appear emerald green. I have used car acrylic paint before. They do do shades of green I guess one will come close and spraying is better than out of the pot dont u think.

MoelygestLR

Post by MoelygestLR » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:36 pm

when I made my Bug boxes i just found an artists acrylic paint of green and red from our local art shop that was something like the colours and i don't think it has turned out too badly. no one has commented about it not looking right so far!

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:45 pm

I agree with the better finish from a spray, trouble is, I have to use it out in the shed an' me thinks it's a bit too blooming cold and damp at the moment.

(Did you see what I did there? blooming?? ;)

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Its certainly not the weather for spraying but heres a tip get hold of a hairdryer gently warm up the can after shakin it per instructions gently heat what you are to spray and then from 30cms start spraying with one hand whilst gentley fanning the hairdrying with the other. Dont use high speed on the dryer u just want some warm air between nozzle and the surface u r spraying.
Caution.. dont spray directly into dryer!!

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks for that, I've made a note cos it was one of the "bits of kit" I meant to aquire for my spray booth (cardboard box!).

I intend getting some heating in the shed / workshop before too long - can't go the whole winter without getting some jobs done in there!

Who'se lettering / No.s / crests do you recommend?

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Find an old microwave excellent spraybooth normally find em down the tip!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests