Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
-
laalratty
Post
by laalratty » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:44 pm
You might be slightly suprised to read that I didn't build a single scratchbuilt carriage during 2009, indeed I was rather when I realised at about 12.00 today. So after lunch I got out the graph paper and pencil and started drawing up my next project. This is one I was about to start on last year when the Lynton and Barnstaple stuff off ebay intervened. It is Ffestiniog Van 5, formerly carriage number 12 and will go very nicely with my model of Van 4 that I already have. Below is a pic of the drawing, with the drawing from Van 4 above it (used to make sure that they match) and a pic of the carriage to the right.

There are a couple of scribbled annotations on there to show where I'll change a couple of the dimensions when I put the drawing onto wood (tommorow hopefully) The carriage will be done as it is running at the moment, and it will give me a 4 carriage FfR train, and I'm tempted to get a couple of IP engineering bug boxes following the sucess of the FfR train at the PTLR steamup.
As for when this will be finished, May at the very earliest but probably nearer August
-
SillyBilly
Post
by SillyBilly » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:11 pm
Great stuff Chris I look forward to progress. All you'll need to do then of course is crack out the red paint for those ends.
-
mhlr
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4336
- Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
- Location: Shropshire, England
Post
by mhlr » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:40 pm
WOW, that should make a great FfR train for Tal to pull!
Are you still doing that scratch build service you were offering?

-
Hancockshire
Post
by Hancockshire » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:45 pm
That'll keep ashpan11 happy
-
MoelygestLR
Post
by MoelygestLR » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:04 pm
Ahh so some one has taken a liking to my bug boxes.
Can i give you one hint, make the buffers a bit stronger this time!
Oh and as Will says a bit of red paint on the ends would just top it off!
-
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
-
Contact:
Post
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:38 am
Looks like it'll make a nice project, looking foreward to progress!

The railway which people forgot
(to build)
-
ptlrcecil
Post
by ptlrcecil » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:37 pm
Looks like it could be good. Are you going to put windows on this one and fix the buffers with more than pritstick?

-
laalratty
Post
by laalratty » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:53 pm
No the buffers will be screwed on, just like every other one of my carriages and wagons!
Anyway, other the past few days I've made quite a bit of progress (the carriage now exisits!)

The sides cut out and waiting for the floor and ends to be made

The floor and ends cut out

And assembled, with the buffer beams cut out and one solebar attached. The other one will get attached tommorow, followed by the first side. There will then come a big pause whislt I design the interior, and also return to doing uni work

-
90733
- Driver

- Posts: 1955
- Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
- Location: West Yorkshire
-
Contact:
Post
by 90733 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:59 pm
Nice, what do you use to cut ou the wood? Just that i might try to build something since i have a fret saw.
-
METHSSNIFFER
Post
by METHSSNIFFER » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:56 pm
I admire the coach but you should get recognition for the Drawing as well. A true Draughtsman. Did you have dimensions to produce it, cos it looks spot on!
-
laalratty
Post
by laalratty » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:55 pm
90733 wrote:Nice, what do you use to cut out the wood?
My dads jigsaw, which does require rather a steady hand to get a straight cut. The sides were cut out with a stanley knife as the wood was only 1mm thick.
The drawing was mostly a guess, I had the total length of the carriage (30 feet, which in 16mm scale is 48 cm) but everything else is a best guess from looking at photographs, it did take a few attempts before I (hopefully) got the proportions right
-
METHSSNIFFER
Post
by METHSSNIFFER » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:48 pm
I see you know of Festpedia The FR society. Its a pity they dont have dimensions and drawings on there. I think your guess work is spot on. Ive made a coach in a similar fasion having to cut all window appertures out on a six compartment coach and then produce a fret for the panelling as an overlay all done with a swann morton scalpel blade. If a could have access to a laser cutter I wish! BUT ITS FUN !
-
Hancockshire
Post
by Hancockshire » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:53 pm
I think it would be quite easy to make drawings because I would expect the loading gauge to be the same on all Ffestiniog railway stock
-
laalratty
Post
by laalratty » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:54 pm
METHSSNIFFER wrote: Ive made a coach in a similar fasion having to cut all window appertures out on a six compartment coach and then produce a fret for the panelling as an overlay all done with a swann morton scalpel blade. If a could have access to a laser cutter I wish! BUT ITS FUN !
Yes it sure is, this is my 10th scratchbuilt coach I reckon. This one will need panneling as well, but I make it up from individual strips rather then an overlay. I'd love access to a laser cutter as well but I don't think its going to happen any time soon
-
SillyBilly
Post
by SillyBilly » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:57 pm
Hancockshire wrote:I think it would be quite easy to make drawings because I would expect the loading gauge to be the same on all Ffestiniog railway stock
Just because they fit in the same loading gauge, doesn't mean that they are the same height, far from in infact.
-
PCLR
Post
by PCLR » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:02 pm
i have accse to laeser cutter at school!!!
-
METHSSNIFFER
Post
by METHSSNIFFER » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:24 pm
You r so lucky. Ive been looking into them dont they vary in size. Something to do with the cutting area. Are they easy to use. Do they cost a lot. Could you provide any info on them at all
-
mhlr
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4336
- Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
- Location: Shropshire, England
Post
by mhlr » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:02 am
PCLR wrote:i have accse to laeser cutter at school!!!
So do I but don't have a clue how to use it!

Much happier using a band saw! Althought I'd like to learn to use the laser cutter, maybe make a coach!
-
Narrow Minded
Post
by Narrow Minded » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:10 am
Nice work Chris, keep the photo's coming with the build - I'll be cribbing ideas and techniques off you all the way for my TR No.9
Cheers, Greg.
-
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4533
- Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
- Location: Suffolk
-
Contact:
Post
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:18 am
I use the LASER cutter at school, I would be useing it at the moment to make my MOTY creation this year but I am making a street organ for my GCSE in systems so thats any MOTY plans down the drain!

The railway which people forgot
(to build)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests