Page 1 of 1
First attempt At Building
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:51 am
by nzreg
Hello to all,
I only have a very small layout 18 metres long consisting of a straight section with a reversing loop at each end, the loops controlled by spring switches. As my Locos are battery powered I don't have to worry about track polarity.
The photo shows my first attempt at a building.
Based roughly on Highley Station less the station masters house.

I bought the cladding and figures the rest being scratch built.
I firstly made a core from PVC foam board then covered it with the cladding, the station veranda is made from sheets of microscopic glass slides and took a few attempts to get it right.
I also made the windows and doors, the only thing remaining is to make up some signage but so far I think it does the job.
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:20 am
by philipy
That is very nice, Reg.
You should be very proud of it, well done.
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:32 am
by bazzer42
First attempt! I was imaging 45 degree lollipop sticks and gluey fingerprints but that is beautiful. Your perseverance with the glass has paid off as that really looks the business.
I have toyed with framing glass for windows but not been brave enough to date.
Anymore buildings in the pipeline? Please keep us posted..
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:32 am
by steamie1
Very neat.
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:14 am
by Peter Butler
That is a superb job, particularly for a first attempt!
There seems to be a period drama in production on your platform..... passengers dressed in Edwardian costume.... is that the time you are representing with your railway?
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:14 am
by andymctractor
This looks really good. Inspiring.
Am I correct in assuming that foam board covered in cladding makes for a more transportable structure from the weight perspective?
I have been considering foam board with cladding for sometime and I've bought a selection of windows from Hobbies in Raveningham nr. here but I just haven't got round to giving it a go.
I still have a terrace of jigstone cottages that need completing but I need my wife's help to lift it onto my work bench so it remains incomplete.
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:44 pm
by kandnwlr
That Looks excellent. Glad to see that there are others interested in buildings for their lines.
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:46 pm
by Big Jim
Very impressive. Keep up the good work..
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:38 pm
by Andrew
Very nice indeed! Just needs a little more platform now...
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:40 pm
by MDLR
VERY smart!
Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:53 pm
by nzreg
Thanks for your encouraging comments, like everyone here I just do the best within the limits of my knowledge and experience.
There is no other building in the pipeline at present although that doesn't preclude the possibility.
Used 6mm PVC foam board for weight reasons plus its very easy to work with, gluing the parts together with Locktite 401 (is there anything that it wont glue?)
There is someone in Korea that sells it for around $4.00 a bottle, very cheap, just search on eBay.
I made the station building separate from the platform and the two are held together with magnets, makes it real easy to separate them for transport.
Its easy to pickup the complete unit, the main weight being in the slate roof.
My latest project is a turn of the century steam rail motor, more on that later.