Page 1 of 1

A March 'build' (not a loco!)

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:08 pm
by Peter Butler
For anyone following my Christmas to Feb. loco build projects, I thought I would have a change for March.
Not so long ago, a friend gave me a large scale toy train set to use any parts I could for my models. As you can see, the stock was not of any use as it stood but I thought I might use the chassis with some gauge changes.

Image
Image
I ran the whole chassis through my bandsaw and removed the centre section.
Image
Each axle box has been drilled out and fitted with brass bushes then the assembly stuck to plasticard to keep rigid. A new body, based on the ones used on the Leek and Manifold Railway, looked like an unusual prototype to use so I cut some plasticard sheet to shape and I am very pleased with the result so far.

Image
Image
Image
Current stage is with the model in grey primer.

Image
Image
I had planned to do scenic work on the line instead of stock, but the weather has been uncertain and I didn't want to sit and do nothing, so this happened instead!

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:28 pm
by MDLR
Oh, yus! VERY nice!

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:18 pm
by sstjc
Absolutely Stunning !

Like it in that colour as well....

Barry

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:13 pm
by Peter Butler
I am very happy with that grey colour myself. It makes a good base colour to put weathering finish on and even left as it is could be a 'direct from the builders' colour.
Best of all...... £1.00 a can from Poundland!

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:49 pm
by jim@NAL
good looking model yet again mr peter

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:16 pm
by Big Jim
Nice job Peter.
Just the one or is a rake in the offing? Somthing to pull behind your new toy perhaps?

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:03 pm
by Peter Butler
I do like to see rakes of vehicles but hate the prospect of repeating the same thing over again in making them.
Variety is the spice...... as they say!

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:05 pm
by Peter L
That looks brilliant :D

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:01 pm
by Peter Butler
Not much spare time at the moment but I have begun to think of loads for the truck to carry to give it a purpose on the line.
In the 'spares' box I came across left overs from kits modified in the past. These must be 20 years old (at least!) and prove you shouldn't throw anything away.

Image
As far as I recall the tyres came from an Italeri kit of a road tanker which I made into a rail vehicle instead.
The crates look the part to hold such a load together on their journey.
Also, I decided to make a pallet to support another item.....

Image
Image
This is a whitemetal kit of a stationary engine, and very well detailed it is too! I decided to tie it to the pallet with 'rope' as it probably would have been before the ratchet strap revolution.
Image
Image
Centre buffers are on order and weathering to proceed this evening.

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:28 pm
by bazzer42
Another cracker Mr B. Top marks, dead jealous of your plasticard skills.

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:08 pm
by Dannypenguin
Love that! :)

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:19 pm
by Peter Butler
Just back from my 'Engine Shed' where all of the modelling is done these days. The wagon is all but finished with the exception of the buffers and brake pipes. I should find a way of making these as all of my stock should be fitted to complete the image. This will probably not happen until next winter as I have so many other things lined up there just isn't time!
Image
Image
Image
Having 'push tested' the wagon on the track, it runs very smoothly with probably enough weight from the whitemetal load.

Posted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:32 pm
by sstjc
Absolutely stunning !

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:05 am
by DickH
looks brilliant Peter.

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:09 am
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Where was the stationary engine kit from? Looks super!

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:22 am
by Peter Butler
I bought the stationary engine kit from a trader at a vintage vehicle show, but I know I have seen them elsewhere.   I think there is a range available in this scale.  Unfortunately I can't remember the maker.
 This one cost me about £12 which I thought was good value.

Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:17 am
by MDLR
It's nice to see that the wagon loos a LITTLE worn.................