Page 1 of 2
A February Loco
Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:51 pm
by Peter Butler
It just had to come along at some point!
This is my latest offering to the ever growing stable of motive power.... you would think I like playing trains, but I don't. I make them and that's enough to satisfy me.
This new one is based very loosely on a DeWinton. It is on a home built chassis with alluminium frames, steel frame spacers (bought) wheels and cranks (also from a manufacturer) 6v motor and gearbox (IP I think?) and various bits including LEGO gears.
The pistons operate from gears mounted on the axle.

Bodywork is plasticard with dozens of home made stamped rivets, each one lovingly placed with a dab of adhesive and a sharp pointed instrument. (I'm having my eyes tested tomorrow!!!)

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:10 pm
by steamie1
WoW!
Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:13 pm
by WVLR
Interesting as I'm having similar ideas for one of the Essel Engineering chassis that I bought of Ebay recently.
Batteries in the boiler and turn the funnel for speed control.
Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:18 pm
by Peter Butler
My battery pack will fit comfortably in the water tank but a similar plan to yours was to put a speed controller as the chimney top if I can find a suitable cap.
Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:29 pm
by WVLR
I was thinking more along the lines of having the whole of the funnel turning for the speed control.
Re: A February Loco
Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:57 pm
by MDLR
Peter Butler:96803 wrote:(I'm having my eyes tested tomorrow!!!)
I reckon you need your head testing!
It's certainly going to be a VERY nice loco!
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:16 am
by tom_tom_go
Nice one with the Lego Technic bits Peter.
I have built a small loco/wagon using Lego in this scale before and it's good fun because you don't mind what colour bricks you use

Re: A February Loco
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:35 pm
by Peter Butler
MDLR:96808 wrote:Peter Butler:96803 wrote:(I'm having my eyes tested tomorrow!!!)
I reckon you need your head testing! :salute: :lol:
It's certainly going to be a VERY nice loco!
Eyes have passed the test...... On the waiting list for a Head transplant!
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:28 pm
by Dannypenguin
Like the look of this

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:16 pm
by williamfj
Definately got the DeWinton look about her, I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses from here on in.
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:30 pm
by Peter Butler
Sprayed with grey primer today. Top coat tomorrow with luck.
I'll post photographs when it's done.
Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:11 pm
by jim@NAL
your models are always bloody fantastic mr peter .well done I look forward to seeing more of this ilove the pistons and the fact you have used lego in there too well done
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:34 am
by Droopy
jim@NAL:96849 wrote:your models are always bloody fantastic mr peter .well done I look forward to seeing more of this ilove the pistons and the fact you have used lego in there too well done
I totally agree with that !

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:21 pm
by Peter Butler
Firstly in grey primer....
And then in top coat before detailing.....
Lots of general 'gubbins' to add now.... pipework, stop valves, gauges etc...
Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:26 pm
by WVLR
I like the fancy boiler top and funnel, is this going to be an Emett
style De-Winton

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:37 pm
by MDLR
I know modern locos have to have yellow ends, but.......................
FWOR! It's a bit bright.............................
Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:33 am
by Peter Butler
WVLR:96923 wrote:I like the fancy boiler top and funnel, is this going to be an Emett
style De-Winton ;)
Well spotted.... it is an Emett style DeWinton! My Emetts have been sadly neglected for the past few months, so it is time to put things straight.
Brian, it is BRIGHT at this stage, but when it is covered in various useless accessories it should calm down...
Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:21 pm
by Peter Butler
Now you have heard of 'Polar Bear' and 'Sea Lion'..... well meet....
'Snail'
Looking a lot less yellow now Brian!
Still to follow is the Emett style driver. He will be made from an artists poseable figure which is about 1/12th scale. He can be stuck permanently in any stance, clothed with Miliput and painted. I have used this method before and it seems OK. The head shown in the picture will probably not be the one finally used as I would like someone younger looking.

My March 'loco' might not be a loco at all as I am getting behind with my plans for the winter season. If so the post for that will be elsewhere.
Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:25 pm
by WVLR
Absolutely Fantastic, I especially like the Windermere Kettle.
Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:49 pm
by MDLR
VERY smart (and a LOT less yellow!)
