Page 1 of 1

Radio control or manual for a battery locomotive

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:51 pm
by Colinjamesporter
Hi Everyone,
Im thinking of designing and building some battery locomotives for 16mm to sell. Not chosen a prototype yet but the plan is likely to be a four wheeled loco such as Midlander on the Talyllyn railway. It is planed to build it 4 wheel drive.
The question is if I go ahead would it be better with Radio control or with a switch to let it run on its own.?
Thanks for the help in advance.
Best wishes
Colin

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:09 pm
by LnBmad
Rc.

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:12 pm
by Woodfields Light Railway
LnBmad:95895 wrote:Rc.
Ditto!!!

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:19 pm
by MDLR
It all depends where in the market you're intending to pitch your loco. If you're looking "cheap 'n cheerful" go for a switch and a standard 2 X AAA battery setup, if you want to make a higher quality model go rechargeable batteries and R/C, but that will be much more complex to build, and expensive. It CAN be done - I've seen an IP Rapier with R/C!!

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:24 pm
by sstjc
Could you not design it with RC in mind but offer the option of just a switch with an appropriate discount.

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:40 pm
by Colinjamesporter
sstjc:95904 wrote:Could you not design it with RC in mind but offer the option of just a switch with an appropriate discount.
Doing this is one of the options I am looking at. I am not quite sure what part of the market I am looking at price wise. Im hoping to offer a detailed locomotive at an affkrdable price.
Best wishes
Colin

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:27 pm
by steamie1
Personaly I switch on a battery loco to check the line is ok (leaves stones etc. on rail) Then I run steam. R/C is another pain in charging the tx etc. Some form of speed graduation is nice like andel models Fifion. BUT manual with RC options so you can cover a larger market me thinks. I would love to see it..

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:32 pm
by jay1976
I had mine with switch then converted them to RC once I had funds.. would be easier to offer battery power with basic speed controller with option of RC 2.4ghz,even steam models are offered manual control(which some prefer) and RC option

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:34 pm
by steamie1
found a picy of it. Would it be matal or brass?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... r_No_5.jpg

Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:48 pm
by Colinjamesporter
Im looking at a metal chassis so there is weight low down for haulage. The body might be plastic with the front part of the bonnet being 3d printed either way. Im currently looking into motors to see if i can find good quality reliable motors at a price where I can make the overall loco at a competitive price. Im currently trying to get dimensions for Midlander as it is the prototype im looking at.
Best wishes
Colin

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:39 am
by philipy
Nice little loco, but from the 'cheap model with wide appeal' point of view, a couple of things spring to mind:

1) There are an awful lot of 'bits' attached to the basic body shell and every 'bit' adds complexity and hence cost.

2) You'll need to do something non-prototypical about the buffer beams/buffers/couplings - very few NG garden railways use this type of arrangement.

As I said, nice little loco and one I'd quite like, but I'm not sure it is a wise choice for a first foray into commercial production.

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:12 am
by Colinjamesporter
The couplings wouldn't be a problem. When delivered to the Talyllyn it had this coupling arrangement.
Image
Best wishes
Colin

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:06 am
by vjoneslong5040
I think you would be better off with a with/without RC option. I have several battery electrics now, my big 2 have RC, and all my smaller ones don't (either switches or speed controllers). To be honest both get equal use, with the manual ones often being seen when I have other things to do (so I just see the odd train pootling round) and the RC ones only coming out when its getting serious. For my steamers I have a similar arrangement. 4 out of 5 have RC, but when I just fancy running something for half a hour then out comes the manual one.

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:45 pm
by Colinjamesporter
The idea of doing both types had crossed my mind. I thought it would be good to do abit of market research amongst fellow modellers before I start anything. The other loco type that had crossed my mind was one based around this one http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/railway/ro ... slet-d6652
Best wishes
Colin

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:33 am
by Big Jim
My thought would be as basic as possible with additional option packs available for the buyer to do what they like with.

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:51 pm
by andymctractor
I don't have any manual control locos at this time but if I do get one it will be only for when I'm operating alone or if I want to run a train continuously at a set speed for a while. Of course both of these options would be available with RC albeit at extra cost.
I am more likely to buy a garden railway loco model that is RC, robust construction, compatable with most products presently available, capable of hauling a sizeable train at prototype or slightly faster speeds and lends itself to repaints and detailing. If you can do that its likely you have at least one customer. :shock:

Good luck