Page 1 of 1
7/8ths Tubs swift16
Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:36 pm
by Gremlin
Saw a bit of sunshine today so got a few pics of my recently finished swiftsixteen 7/8ths tub wagons.
They are not quite so bright as this, that's the sun for you.
I'm in two minds whether to leave them rather unloved and rusty or introduce some worn colour.

Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:51 pm
by tom_tom_go
They look spot on David leave them as they are
Look forward to seeing them running with your Hunslet soon.
Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:06 pm
by Andrew
Very nice indeed!
I can see why you'd be tempted to try and adding something to replicate very work paint though, just to see if it's poossible - maybe you could try on just one? Can't think how you'd do it, very difficult to improve on the look you've got there. Did you use iron filing-type rusting powder?
Andrew
Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:16 pm
by LnBmad
If you wanted to add traces of old paint use a sponge and dab the paint on. If I were you I'd be adding some dirt on the insides of the wagons but leave the outside as they are.
Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:06 am
by Whosk
The latest American "Model Railroader" had a story about weathering a loco in 7 minutes using 'pan pastel's' and a foam wedge applicator, looks interesting and would suit your task of any more weathering nicely. not that I have tried them.
Wayne
Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:25 am
by jay1976
Could also do just 1 wheel as well so it looks like a recent replacement..
and agree just do 1 wagon to start with as you could always redo the rusty look.. maybe a dent or 2
Posted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:15 pm
by Soar Valley Light
They look absolutely fantastic!
They remind me of many of the tubs and minecars that we used to have around the collieries. Whilst some were painted others were certainly not. I don't believe that some of them had ever been painted, especially the ones knocked up locally in the fitting shops.
I hope I can come somewhere near the standard you have achieved once I start building my own stock. Thanks for the inspiration
Andrew
Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:55 pm
by Gremlin
Thanks guys, might try a bit of colour on one, can always paint it over if it goes wrong.
The finish is just with paint, three colours of artist acrylics, mixed splodged and stippled on. Good fun and really not hard to do.
I have given some denting but the resin is quite thick and hard to distort.
Must find a suitable load of rocks perhaps to give a nice weight.
Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:06 pm
by SapperAnt
Those look fantastic

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:39 pm
by Gremlin
Had another tinker with these today and this is the end result.
Managed to get a picture that is very true to the real colour, sunlight or the camera flash change it too much.

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:04 pm
by MDLR
They look absolutely fine - you have to put quite a lot of heat into the resin to get it to distort! (so I'm told)
Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:04 pm
by laalratty
They look fantastic, nice work!
Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:26 am
by Bill/Rubery
Hello, Maybe you should 'mucky up' the spokes and wheels as they look too clean for a industrial wagon....just a though!
Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:24 pm
by jim@NAL
there bloody lovly look spot on well done .you could paint on some faded numbers etc
Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:11 pm
by Gremlin
like the idea of faded numbering. Yes should dirty the wheels, though I did leave the running part unpainted as I thought it would come off anyway. Really nicely cast kits these.