Page 1 of 2

Flash will be here soon !

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:04 am
by swiftsixteen
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to have this new fan powered loco finished by next weekend.
I can't wait, the testbed is such a scream to drive !!!!!
All the main carving was finished today. It is now in auto grade filler primer ready for it's first finished flat coat before moulding.

http://www.swiftsixteen.com/productDeta ... oductID=86

Thanks,
Rob.

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:05 am
by OLD_GUY
But it's not a train... :roll:

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:02 am
by swiftsixteen
No, you are right, it's a locomotive / engine.

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:03 am
by sstjc
Well as this narrow gauge stuff throws up some real strange stuff both model and prototype i don't see any issue with this and as it happens i like it. eg There have been a number of sail powered contraptions used on the full size railways http://www.railwaysofthefarsouth.co.uk/ ... ilway.html

I also applaud anything that is fun, a bit off the wall or just plain crazy because they stop us from taking life too seriously and quite often, like this fan powered contraption, allow those that are not adept at steam stuff have a go. Anyway i'm sure there is a prototype for a fan powered machine on rails somewhere but I can't find it at the moment but i'm sure someone will come up with a link.

So I applaud swiftsixteen for doing something a bit different and I hope he will bring out some more 'different' stuff !

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:52 am
by Steven.T
I think it looks great, think I will be getting myself one!
Will you be including instructions on how to finish it off with the motor and propeller etc?
Also, I take it there will be room for a receiver?
(anyone ever seen anything take off from railway tracks before? :lol: )

Cheers,
Steven

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:41 am
by swiftsixteen
Hello,

I will include instructions on the site plus a shopping list and where to buy. There is plenty of room for everything :D

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:59 pm
by GTB
swiftsixteen:89839 wrote:No, you are right, it's a locomotive / engine.
If it isn't a train, then neither is a single unit railcar...... :lol:

As usual, there's a prototype for everything, even if it wasn't ng.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Schie ... lrampe.jpg

.....or the US contribution, the stealth railcar.

http://thecontaminated.com/wp-content/u ... -train.jpg

..... and of course anything the degenerate capitalists could do, the soviet worker could do better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ER22.png

Did you have one of these as a kid by any chance, Peter?

http://tri-angrailways.org.uk/battleturbo.htm

Graeme

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:31 pm
by swiftsixteen
GTB:89855 wrote:
swiftsixteen:89839 wrote:No, you are right, it's a locomotive / engine.
If it isn't a train, then neither is a single unit railcar...... :lol:

As usual, there's a prototype for everything, even if it wasn't ng.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Schie ... lrampe.jpg

.....or the US contribution, the stealth railcar.

http://thecontaminated.com/wp-content/u ... -train.jpg

..... and of course anything the degenerate capitalists could do, the soviet worker could do better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ER22.png

Did you have one of these as a kid by any chance, Peter?

http://tri-angrailways.org.uk/battleturbo.htm

Graeme
Flash is a locomotive-engine defined by the fact that I hooked up a rake of Binnie tipper wagons to the test bed and it pulled them around my railway. The point will be further driven home when I release the coaches for it.

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:41 pm
by swiftsixteen
http://www.swiftsixteen.com/productDeta ... oductID=86

The first Flash body and hoop a have come out the moulds now, pictures on the site :)
Chassis to come tomorrow along with pictures of the lipo strap.
Thanks,
Rob.

Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:38 pm
by Chris Cairns
Rob, what gauge will Flash be?

Would be great if it could be fitted with dual gauge wheels - Binnie wheels on axles would allow easy gauge change?

Chris Cairns.

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:25 am
by swiftsixteen
Hi,

It will come with 32 or 45mm stainless steel wheels on the standard Swift Sixteen brass tube bush in the back to back. There is noting stopping you fitting standard bearings or even ball races !

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:14 pm
by OLD.GUY
Can this engine also fly ?

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:55 pm
by pauly
OLD.GUY:90119 wrote:Can this engine also fly ?
Yes but only briefly :lol:

Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:50 pm
by swiftsixteen
My personal Flash was born today.
O my, you're going to LOVE it !!!!!!!!
The performance can be HUGE !
It's as good as the test bed, but better because it stays on the bends at a modest speed.

:shock:  :D  :P

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:01 am
by OLD.GUY
Let's fly away ! :lol:

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:46 pm
by railwaygardener
Wondered what the servo was for, until I saw the brake... Any loco that needs such a device must be worth buying!

One query, I have invested in a multitude of NiMH batteries and chargers over the years, does a Li-Po system offer significant advantages in this application, or can I use what I already have?


Derek

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:09 pm
by swiftsixteen
Hello,

I based Flash on Li-po because they have high capacity/discharge/low weight.

But, they also make small NIMH. As long as you can get a NIMH pack to fit, be light enough and be at the correct voltage for your ESC, that will be fine.

My system at 2200amps will last for hours. I think the voltage used is so low, even a 1000 pack will give good run times! This means NIMH may well work, it's more down to weight, under 190g.

Hope that helps :D
Rob.

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:24 pm
by railwaygardener
Yes it does, thank you.

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:48 pm
by tom_tom_go
Great idea Rob, love it.

Combines my love for trains and planes ;)

It would look great in TSR-2 colours:

Image

Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:37 pm
by swiftsixteen