Page 1 of 1

Bachmann lyn regauging

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:33 pm
by LnBmad
So this arrived for me this morning!

Image

I have already removed the bodywork, regauged the pony and trailing trucks and made space ready for the radio gear and 2 battery packs.

I now need to work out how I adjust the centre driving wheels as it has the usual bachmann driving brick that's wider than 32mm on its own!

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:17 pm
by AndrewGVT
Hi
I have been hoping you would do a post about this! :)
I noticed that the name plate is missing is it missing on both sides or just the one? I'm a asking because my one is missing one name plate. If so I buy a set (if I can find were to get them from) I could post the other to you if you want.
Great project, I will watch with interest.

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:46 pm
by LnBmad
I have both plates. They were never fitted to the loco when originally purchased.

Think it will be a case of building a new motor mount and new axles.

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:44 pm
by LnBmad
Mini update:

I have been sent copies of the articles regarding changing the gauge on this loco...

I have also been sent some photos of a converted bachmann chassis using original parts...

Now it's time to cut the existing chassis up I think.... If it goes wrong ill just have to make a new one anyway

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:35 pm
by Peter L
Following this with considerable interest!

Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:46 pm
by LnBmad
So, a little further with this (although its been more planning that anything else)...

The centre driving wheels each separate from the driving gear via push fit. I will refit the wheels in the same manner, waning I have to reduce the axel on each wheel by 6.5mm. These will then fit in a chassis made of 0.8mm brass with 4 spacers in it (2 for the ends, 2 as motor mounts).

Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:55 am
by GTB
LnBmad:84799 wrote:These will then fit in a chassis made of 0.8mm brass with 4 spacers in it (2 for the ends, 2 as motor mounts).
0.8mm is OK in OO/HO scale but far too thin and flexible for SM32.

I'd use at least 1/16" or 1.5mm in this scale. Baldwin would have made the bar frames on the real Lyn 3" thick as they have more daylight than steel.

Regards,
Graeme

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:22 pm
by LnBmad
A little more progress as the bachmann power brick was removed today to be taken into the works this evening....

Image

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:37 pm
by LnBmad
So managed to grab an hour in the barley pit works today. The power 'brick' was dismantled and work began at the axels.

Image

So far 1 axel is complete. The clearance on the motor is tiny but it is clear so as soon as I can return to the works the other axel will be worked upon. Still unsure as to how this new chassis will attach to the body yet but will overcome one challenge at a time.

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:26 pm
by AndrewGVT
looking good! :)

Posted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:23 pm
by LnBmad
Well.... I managed a few more hours in the engine works over the last few days and the regauging is now complete! Still need to fit batteries and speed controller but the hard part is now finished.

With both axels reduced my attention turned to the chassis and motor mount. After drawing various different designs that all looked like they would work my dad came over and asked why I wasn't going to reduce the original mount and chassis down given the work put into the rest of the model so far.... So a mounting plate was made up and the bachmann plastic brick that holds the motor underwent surgery on the milling machine to reduce the width by 10.5mm. Doing this then meant the worms and motor were hitting the sides of the brick, so these were chopped out giving more of a frame chassis look (closer to the prototype). This was then all hooked up to a 12v dc power supply to ensure I hadn't made a massive mistake anywhere and it all worked :)

Image

Image

Image