Page 1 of 1

SAR rolling stock

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:33 pm
by JMORG
Does anyone know if there is any South African Railways rolling stock being produced? The only example I have seen are the "pre-production" cycle wagon kits ACME produced (which I have an example of), but these havent been followed up on by the looks of it.
Cheers.

Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:36 pm
by MDLR
Jurassic / Triassic models had SAR coaches in their range, but as of September last year they hadn't been re-introduced.

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:28 am
by ianfolland
Been busy renovating our house, hence not been paying attention to posts on here!

I still have some bogies available. Half of the archbar variety are gone, but the cast steel didn't sell as well for some reason; I only had 50 kits of each type produced incidentally. I'm not planning to produce any more at the moment, and if I eventually do so they will most likely be in resin rather than white metal, and hence unfortunately more expensive, though easier to produce consistently accurate parts.

The CAD work for a DZ-6 wagon, with Accucraft compatible couplings, is done but at the moment I haven't had masters produced. I may produce a limited run of kits for myself and interested others. I don't believe there is much of a market for kits to produce detailed models in 16mm scale. People will spend a lot of money on detailed locos and then be content to hang shiny toys on the back in many cases!

I have put some detail pictures on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/69051105@N ... 302589825/


Pictures below:

Image


Image


Image

Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:11 pm
by JMORG
They look beautiful! :)
The ACME SAR kits appeared to have stopped. I had one of the 30 or so beta "B" wagon kits, and that was a dream to put together.
Cheers. :)