Page 1 of 1
Scratchbuilt goods stock
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:18 pm
by erikr
Hello all,
Yesterday I introduced myself. Now I 'd like to show you the goods stock I am building.
The base of the wagons is 6mm ply, the sides and doors are 3,5mm ply and the roof is 1,5 mm ply. I scribed the planking with a nail.
I turned the wheels of mild steel, the axles of silver steel. The gauge can be adapted to either 32mm or 45 mm.
Buffers are of mild steel.
There is one more wagon to come!
Greetings,
Erik

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:22 pm
by Narrow Minded
Very nice indeed
I very much like the fact that you have made all doors & drop sides fully working.
Also having re-gaugeable wheelsets is a great bonus for visiting other lines

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:27 pm
by tom_tom_go
Very impressive indeed!
I wish I had the time to not build kits and do my own stuff like you have done.
Cheers,
Tom
RWLR
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:38 pm
by -steves-
Awesome work, has given me the kick I needed to start doing my own, I have the wheels already purchased and the axles, even the buffers, so its just the wood bits and I like working with wood. Still got to learn the metal work, one step at a time
Cracking stock from scratch

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:44 pm
by spooner
Very good work.
How do you make the drop sides?
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:53 pm
by ninge
really nice

wish i had your skill!
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:29 pm
by erikr
Hello Spooner,
Thanks for your reply.
I used thin brass sheet for the the hinges for the drop sides. First I cut a small strip and made a round end on it with round nose pliers.
Then I cut a rectangle of the same brass sheet, sawed and filed a slot in it of the same with as the strip. Then I used the round nose pliers again to form the other haf of the hinge. I used the 3 mm hinge pin to finish the round ends of the hinge. I mounted the hinges on the side boards and on the frame with 1mm rivets, glued in with superglue.
I hope you can understand my explanation, as my English is not so good ( I am Dutch )
Greetings,
Erik
Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:51 pm
by spooner
Your English is better than my Dutch.
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:33 am
by R31 Mark
Erik, I feel someone should say this straight up, Your English is better than that of some of the people born in English speaking countries!, Your writing is quite fluid and fluent too!, Oh and I should mention that I think you've done a great job with all the wagons!, and I love your loco

Mark
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:05 pm
by Sylvian Tennant
Wow, that's is some cracking english and some brilliant modelling!