Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
-
Merddin Emrys
Post
by Merddin Emrys » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:22 pm
-
taliesin001
Post
by taliesin001 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:45 pm
Looks great!

I'm thinking of getting a few of these (well actually quite a few) to attach to the end of my festiniog train. Do back2bay6 still do these?
-
DolwyddelanLightRail
Post
by DolwyddelanLightRail » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:37 pm
How much/how time consuming are these to make?
-
taliesin001
Post
by taliesin001 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:40 pm
Is this an all plastic kit?
-
Merddin Emrys
Post
by Merddin Emrys » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:01 pm
It's a totally plastic kit, I'll be adding lead underneath and I know some people use metal wheels (Slaters?) My wive, Helen did most of the work to assemble it, lots of cleaning up of the parts was required! I made the couplings up and painted it, Im very happy with it really.
Timewise I'd say it took around 3 hours, sat in front of the telly

-
Merddin Emrys
Post
by Merddin Emrys » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:02 pm
taliesin001 wrote:Looks great!

I'm thinking of getting a few of these (well actually quite a few) to attach to the end of my festiniog train. Do back2bay6 still do these?
We bought this kit over 2 years ago, can't remember where now, I want to try some Coopercraft kits sometime!
-
SillyBilly
Post
by SillyBilly » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:29 pm
Nice work, I'm makeing some modifications to the pair I have, such as 3 link couplings, steel wheels and additional buffing plate on the ends for a little extra detail, one day I'll get them finished!
They are £7-8 each off Binnie Engineering who make them, I'm sure I have their e-mail address somewhere if you want, I would've thought they'd be at Stoneleigh though.
-
TonyW
- Driver

- Posts: 1357
- Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 am
- Location: North Wales
-
Contact:
Post
by TonyW » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:33 pm
SillyBilly wrote:... such as 3 link couplings ...
Don't you mean a single link and a hook?

-
METHSSNIFFER
Post
by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:36 am
Its a shame these binnie wagons are not to scale being too narrow but they do make for a nice wagon I replaced mine with the Dinorwic slaters wagon. They are superb!
-
DolwyddelanLightRail
Post
by DolwyddelanLightRail » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:39 am
SillyBilly wrote:
They are £7-8 each off Binnie Engineering who make them, I'm sure I have their e-mail address somewhere if you want, I would've thought they'd be at Stoneleigh though.
Do they come with the wheels/axle boxes etc in that price? Or do you have to get those bits separatly?
-
Merddin Emrys
Post
by Merddin Emrys » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:11 am
it's all in the kit, although most people fit steel wheels, I've not run mine yet though, probably I'll end up doing the same!
-
Merddin Emrys
Post
by Merddin Emrys » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:16 am
METHSSNIFFER wrote:Its a shame these binnie wagons are not to scale being too narrow but they do make for a nice wagon I replaced mine with the Dinorwic slaters wagon. They are superb!
I can't see them being much too narrow comparing the model to Tony's pic of the full size wagon, the real one looks just wider than the 2 foot gauge track looking at the pic, I'll have to find a drawing of it
I've got a Slaters FR slate wagon to do next!

-
METHSSNIFFER
Post
by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:27 am
Me too I have the slaters FR wagon kits and I have now made a jig to solder and form sides and ends from brass strip. Quite easy to do too! Wagon measures 6' x 3' binnies are right length but fall short on width!
-
Merddin Emrys
Post
by Merddin Emrys » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:30 am
found a drawing in Boyd's book (page 152 vol1) it says the real wood wagon is just 2 foot 7" wide which would be 41.3333mm so at about 48mm the model is actually a bit wide! not that it really matters cause it looks right

-
METHSSNIFFER
Post
by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:37 am
Yep you are right just consulted my volume 1 as well 2' 7" wide Im now figuring out the width of slate that it would carry!!
-
Merddin Emrys
Post
by Merddin Emrys » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:38 am
METHSSNIFFER wrote:Me too I have the slaters FR wagon kits and I have now made a jig to solder and form sides and ends from brass strip. Quite easy to do too! Wagon measures 6' x 3' binnies are right length but fall short on width!
if Boyd's right the Binnie is too long too, the real wooden wagons were 5 foot 3" long, it seems like bug boxes wooden slate wagons are tiny

Boyd also say's no two were exactly the same!
-
METHSSNIFFER
Post
by METHSSNIFFER » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:41 am
and it was taken from a rough drawing as well.!!
-
DolwyddelanLightRail
Post
by DolwyddelanLightRail » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:55 pm
Just found out that their £8.25, so i may get a load of them to make a small rake!

-
taliesin001
Post
by taliesin001 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:43 pm
That is what I was thinking, not too expensive and you could mix them with the coopercraft ones and some build some covered wagons to get a mixed rake. I think there was something about this is one of the SMT's, they had built a rake to go behind some vintage stock. Looked lovely but I bet building them gets a bit repetitive!

-
Merddin Emrys
Post
by Merddin Emrys » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:35 pm
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests