Page 1 of 2
Festiniog Zoo Car Coach No. 1
Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:51 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
The beginnings of my second bug box build the so called Zoo Car coach No.1 of the FR.
Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:57 pm
by PCLR
very nice i like the mess grill
Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:58 pm
by mhlr
lovely

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:30 am
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Verynice, I recobnise the pattern on the middle seat partition, I can't put my finger on it...
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:56 am
by MTA
Very nice, at that sort of quality you should go into business doing commissions

Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:46 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
MTA you really think so! I try my best and thanks for your comments
I guess if there is anyone out there that would like one of my creations then they only have to ask. I have modelled Festiniog and Talyllyn rolling stock in the past and has you can see Im creating a rake of bugboxes at the moment.
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:45 pm
by MoelygestLR
Mr. Bond of the DVLR wrote: I recobnise the pattern on the middle seat partition, I can't put my finger on it...
I too recognise the pattern but can put my finger on it, look in you kitchen cabinets and I bet you will see that pattern! We have some of the exact same pattern wood left over from ours. I can even tell you that you probably got it from B&Q and that is is hardboard.
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:01 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Ahha! From our old house inside the cabinets, yes, great recycling!
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:32 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
Yes you got it !! Its from B&Q and its MDF used for the back of their kitchen cabinets and its a lot cheaper than ordinary sheets of MDF.
I wouldnt use hardboard in my models nasty stuff!
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:59 pm
by MoelygestLR
METHSSNIFFER wrote:Yes you got it !! Its from B&Q and its MDF used for the back of their kitchen cabinets and its a lot cheaper than ordinary sheets of MDF.
I wouldnt use hardboard in my models nasty stuff!
ahhh i thought it was hardboard my apologies!
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 pm
by Merddin Emrys
your bug boxes are looking great, I will need more to go with my Ebay bug box but until my Roundhouse Linda arrives I'm not sure weather to go scale or Roundhouse size!
Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:56 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
Just to let you know the zoo car is coming on, the shell is built just roof to do. Dont know whether to cut out the fleur de lys or paint them in. I guess playing the perfectionist I will probably cut them out, though should of probably done this before constructing the shell. It is a challenge to get them symetrical and all the same size but I'll have a go. Gonna start painting em soon when I have prepared them, some filling to do with fine milliput and then the ol rub down process begins. So fill you in soon!! ah ah
[
[
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:41 am
by TonyW
Very nice.
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:23 am
by Narrow Minded
Another cracker!
You don't half go at a pace! How long does the average build take you?
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:06 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
Thankyou I havent actually timed how long it takes but I would hazard a guess at something like ten to fifteen hours, but you have to allow glue to dry obviously so a bug box like this I could achieve in three to four evenings. Then there is the painting of course and that can be considerably longer. A bug box is a simple build compared to some rolling stock I have modelled take the Talyllyn brake van for instance all the strapping is rivetted and this is achieved by cutting 1mm plastic rodding and applying with mek.
I now use plastic rivets from Cambrian but alas they still need applying and spacing equal distant so the time is in the detail
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:20 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
A new measure ment of kit building speed- BBpH
Bug boxes per hour!!
Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:48 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
Its not based on speed its a leisure, so its quality time based on the quality of product to achieve self satisfaction so speed doesnt come into the equation therefore QT=SS/hrs.
Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:43 am
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Which can be rearranged into a triangle
SS
QT|hrs.
So if you need to find the self satisfactisfaction of the job it is the QT times by the hours you've actually spent doing it.
If you need to find out how long it has taken you over all it is SS divided by QT
and to find out what quality time you've had you need to divide SS by the Hrs!
Does all that work?
Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:41 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
Basic physics it does!! But the more time you spend doing it the better quality the product you finish up with. So all is proportional.
Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:35 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
[Finally got some paint on! Just roof and trim to do.