Page 1 of 5

Festiniog Bug Box No.5

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:57 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
As Im stuck indoors with the snow I thought I would have a go building a bug box. Heres the rolling chassis

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:04 pm
by mhlr
Oh that looks good! Been having quite a lot of discussion on bug boxes here lately! :lol:

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:05 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
and the start of one side !! Inspired by Andel Models.
[

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:10 pm
by MTA
mhlr wrote:Oh that looks good! Been having quite a lot of discussion on bug boxes here lately!  :lol:
It doesn't take long for the bug to bite :lol:

I'll get my coat... :oops:

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:19 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
Maybe I will have the seat has a bed and call it a "bed bug box!"

Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:40 pm
by Hancockshire
Yep the bug box has bitten

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:32 am
by METHSSNIFFER
One end complete!

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:34 am
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Looks good!
What colour are you going to paint it?

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:47 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
I thought about doing this colour scheme or maybe I might do the 1870s livery

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:54 pm
by Narrow Minded
What paint do you use to get that green "straight out of the pot" or do you have to mix it?

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:10 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
I have a stock of FR Phoenix precision paint and ive been lucky enough to acquire enough of it, as they have discontinued their FR range now. Ive seen some modellers use red for the coach ends Im a bit unsure the FR used a scarlet red on their coaches as you can see in this pic its more of a brown/orange than a red

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:49 pm
by Merddin Emrys
That looks great, I like the green colour scheme too and the ends are a orangey / brown sort of colour, I expect Will would know the actual shade

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:55 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
It will be a time when I come to paint it, but any help on the orangey colour would help when the time comes. Thanks for your comments much appreciated Im busy doing the other end at the mo.

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:58 pm
by Narrow Minded
Can anyone suggest an available make / brand of model paint that's a good match for FR green straight out of the pot ?

I've got a selection of Games Workshop green acrylics in front of me and the Emerald Green don't look too bad.

Posted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:08 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
Dont go by my picture that seems to appear emerald green. I have used car acrylic paint before. They do do shades of green I guess one will come close and spraying is better than out of the pot dont u think.

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:36 pm
by MoelygestLR
when I made my Bug boxes i just found an artists acrylic paint of green and red from our local art shop that was something like the colours and i don't think it has turned out too badly. no one has commented about it not looking right so far!

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:45 pm
by Narrow Minded
I agree with the better finish from a spray, trouble is, I have to use it out in the shed an' me thinks it's a bit too blooming cold and damp at the moment.

(Did you see what I did there? blooming?? ;)

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:58 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
Its certainly not the weather for spraying but heres a tip get hold of a hairdryer gently warm up the can after shakin it per instructions gently heat what you are to spray and then from 30cms start spraying with one hand whilst gentley fanning the hairdrying with the other. Dont use high speed on the dryer u just want some warm air between nozzle and the surface u r spraying.
Caution.. dont spray directly into dryer!!

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:08 pm
by Narrow Minded
Thanks for that, I've made a note cos it was one of the "bits of kit" I meant to aquire for my spray booth (cardboard box!).

I intend getting some heating in the shed / workshop before too long - can't go the whole winter without getting some jobs done in there!

Who'se lettering / No.s / crests do you recommend?

Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:20 pm
by METHSSNIFFER
Find an old microwave excellent spraybooth normally find em down the tip!