Page 1 of 1

TINY build

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:37 pm
by ge_rik
One of my various correspondents drew my attention to an attractive little loco which once graced the metals of the 3' 9" gauge Fayles Tramway in Dorset. Constructed by Stephen Lewin in around 1868, it was originally named CORFE but, when it was transferred to Fayles Tramway in 1906 it was given the name of TINY.
Tiny.jpg
Tiny.jpg (572.03 KiB) Viewed 194 times
Source: George Moon Collection

With some prompting, I tracked down plans in edition 121 of The NG&IRM Review and over the past couple of months have been slowly producing 3D printed parts. I have now started construction. There's a fair bit more to do in terms of detailing, but it seems to be coming together.
DSCI1393.JPG
DSCI1393.JPG (3.8 MiB) Viewed 194 times
DSCI1394.JPG
DSCI1394.JPG (2.95 MiB) Viewed 194 times

I'll keep you posted.

Rik

Re: TINY build

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:51 pm
by SimonWood
Love it Rik. What a characterful little loco.

Re: TINY build

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2026 4:17 am
by nick25
This model is so exquisitely crafted!

Re: TINY build

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2026 8:43 am
by StuartJ
One of my favourite locos! Much better looking without the cab though, I think

What chassis are you using?

Re: TINY build

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2026 9:28 am
by ge_rik
StuartJ wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2026 8:43 am What chassis are you using?
My own concoction - using a GA25-370 gearmotor.
DSCI1341.JPG
DSCI1341.JPG (2.43 MiB) Viewed 117 times

I have an aversion to using plastic wheels on locos and so have used Bachmann 24.5mm dia wheelsets. The original loco had solid wheels with spokes moulded on and so I've produced inserts for the wheels to mimic this.
DSCI1364.JPG
DSCI1364.JPG (2.19 MiB) Viewed 115 times

Rik

Re: TINY build

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2026 7:25 pm
by tommygander1941
That is so cute! I can't wait to see the finished product, I do hope the dome will be brass 8)