Page 1 of 1

The MHLR goes a bit GWR

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:31 am
by mhlr
Well, I aquired two Brandbright kits, a PS19 and PS20 bogie coaches on eBay, with just the basic body frame completed. A few days ago, I thought, I better get these done before my open day (which is tomorrow), and I finished them at 11:10pm tonight!

I was going to paint them in MHLR blue, with white inlays, like the PTLR is running, but then I decided that I rather wanted some GWR stock, seeing as this probably the most western railway on the forum... so this is what I came up with...

Image

Before the roof went on, showing it's stained interior. Talking of the roof, it was a right pain, seeing as I didn't realise it took so much effort until 10pm tonight, so I tried gluing it on as your supposed to then realised I need to steam the wood with hot water before gluing, and then thought... sod it.
So I got the old 00 gauge track pins out and nailed it on! And it works a treat!

Image

Both as a train.

Image

The passenger coach.

Image

The composite coach.

Image

Image

An extra detail I added, a brake wheel in the brake compartment.

Image

And the rear of the train, showing the cambrian brake lamp.


There's still a few bits to add later on, such as the running boards, but I don't know whether it looks better without them. And also the drop light wood strips, and transfers saying THIRD, FIRST, GAURD etc... maybe even an MHLR emblem in the middle.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:50 am
by pauly
how do they look on yoru tightest curves?

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:07 am
by laalratty
2 very nice looking coaches Pete, hope your steamup goes well

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:03 pm
by andysleigh
V nice.

Now you will need a lawley and do that GWR styling on it.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:15 pm
by mhlr
Pauly: The looks quite tight, and you get buffer locking if the rear coach rolls into the other which is annoying, but you can avoid it by driving carefully.

laalratty: Thanks, you'll see all the stuff from today soon ;)

Andy: Yeah, I really do need to, had them behind a GWR green Edrig today and they looked great!

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:53 am
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Nice to see you got round to painting them! Good luck for today's open day!