Page 1 of 2

Heywood Style 4w Brakevan

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:50 am
by SillyBilly
Hello,
I've set myself another little project this evening (it was supposidly my New Year resolution to not start any more projects, 2 days in and already broken), I'm going to produce a 4w brakevan in the style of Sir Heywood's Eaton Railway one.
Image
Image (C) Ben Fisher http://benfisher.fotopic.net/p43790874.html

I shall be building it to suit 'Isabelle', as my dad reckons it has a very Heywood feel. I'm going to draw it out tomorrow, cut the sides, and order the base & buffer beams from my Grandad. I've already ordered the axleboxes, couplings & wheels, these are all Accucraft parts.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:12 am
by mhlr
wow! that will look nice on the SHR!

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:12 am
by ACLR
Great project mate keep the pictures flowing :D

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:30 pm
by SillyBilly
ACLR wrote:Great project mate keep the pictures flowing :D
I certainly will! Infact here is the next update ( if you can understand my drawing!), the end & sides are a different scale because the version of 2D design is only a demo. I would of used AutoCAD, but my dad has his laptop at work (!). It only shows the general woodwork. The mesurments (cm) do kill the drawing though
:( !
Image

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:10 pm
by steamyjim
Great looking brakevan Will!

I wish i could draw on the PC like that :cry:

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:54 am
by SillyBilly
Thanks Jim!

Image
The components as they currently stand, I'm going to cut the chassis members later and attach the axleboxes. The base is currently between Carnforth & Porthmadog, so hopfully it'll turn up on Monday. Could be complete by the end of the month :? (fat chance)!

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:12 pm
by steamyjim
That pic isnt working. Any idea why?

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:10 pm
by SillyBilly
Works for me!

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:15 pm
by steamyjim
Works for me now ;)

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:16 pm
by steamyjim
Looking good!

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:56 pm
by ACLR
looking great mate keep up the good work :D

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:05 am
by Chris Cairns
That is looking very good William.

What type of couplings are you using?

Chris Cairns.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:18 am
by Matt
Great project :D ! I really like the old Heywood railways, because he built them as proper narrow gauge railways instead of a miniture railway stlye.

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:18 pm
by SillyBilly
CCairns wrote:What type of couplings are you using?
I'm using Accucraft round head choppers (as shown in the photos below), becuase 'Isabelle' my 'Edrig' is fitted with them.

I've made masses of progress since the last update (only yesterday). No kidding I'm close to the painting stage! It's turned in to a sort of 7/8ths scale brakevan, but I like a bit of variety. The base turned up this morning, which has allowed me to make up the full chassis, and then begin on the roof. Hopfully I'll pick up a couple of welding rods tomorrow, and make up the handrails. I'll probally put the roof on the roof base later on today. So maybe I'll manage to build this one in a week? Who knows.

Image

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:21 am
by mhlr
you can do that in a week, my workman's was done in a day (including the paint - next to a heater!)!!

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:08 am
by ACLR
its looking great william :D

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:02 am
by SillyBilly
I've completed it this evening, and shall post some piccies tomorrow :) !

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:25 pm
by steamyjim
SillyBilly wrote:
CCairns wrote:What type of couplings are you using?
I'm using Accucraft round head choppers (as shown in the photos below), becuase 'Isabelle' my 'Edrig' is fitted with them.

I've made masses of progress since the last update (only yesterday). No kidding I'm close to the painting stage! It's turned in to a sort of 7/8ths scale brakevan, but I like a bit of variety. The base turned up this morning, which has allowed me to make up the full chassis, and then begin on the roof. Hopfully I'll pick up a couple of welding rods tomorrow, and make up the handrails. I'll probally put the roof on the roof base later on today. So maybe I'll manage to build this one in a week? Who knows.

Image
LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WELL DONE!

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:25 pm
by steamyjim
SillyBilly wrote:I've completed it this evening, and shall post some piccies tomorrow :) !
OOOOOH CAN'T WAIT FOR PICS!

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:28 pm
by mhlr
very good! Is it me, or is there not much activity on the forum atm?