An international forum for garden railway modellers in all scales and gauges. It is free to join and is funded through voluntary contributions by its members. Many thanks to all those who keep it going. https://gardenrails.org/forum/
I plan to run live steam and would like to use 45 mm plastic track. What makes of plastic track are available? Do various brands of plastic track interchange? I have seen talk of painting plastic track. What is the best type of paint to use. How is expansion of plastic track best managed? Thanks for any thoughts on plastic track. Jim
Re: What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:58 pm
by philipy
Jim,
Just to clarify, by "plastic track" I assume you mean metal ( brass, N/s, etc) rail on plastic sleepers?
I'll let others answer fully although I'm not aware that plastic sleepers are a significant problem with live steam.
In answer to your question on compatibility between manufacturers, the question of the 'code' or dimensions of the rail cross section can be an issue, although not insurmountable, and of course trying to convert between bullhead and flat bottom rail also requires some care in alignment, but again it isn't impossible.
Re: What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:23 pm
by yellow_cad
I am asking about track that is 100% plastic (ties and rails).
Re: What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:28 pm
by Jimmyb
There are a number of companies that make plastic track, Bachmann and some sold by ECR, however they are not compatible with each other. As for running live steam, depends on the heat from your loco!!!
Re: What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:37 pm
by tom_tom_go
Heat (gas locos should be fine but coal or meths fired will melt the track), weight and metal wheels are going to be an issue running live steamers on poorly made plastic track that is intended for toy train sets.
Electric locos should be fine using plastic track though.
Re: What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:09 pm
by steamyjim
From personal experience I've had no issues running internally gas fired live steam on plastic track. I'd be a bit wary with methylated spirit firing should there be a flare up, and coal fired boilers have the ash pan down close to track level. I've a couple of circles of 45mm stuff out of Christmas tree sets and an oval of 32mm Faller PlayTrain track that can I use when visiting somewhere. I'm planning a little layout using the Faller Playtrain stuff - on that note, does anyone have any PlayTrain points they'd consider getting rid of?
My ELR Hunslet running on the Faller track below. The Edrig ran just before this, and the Hunslet then ran continuously for almost an hour with no damage to the track.
Re: What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:21 pm
by tom_tom_go
An oval of plastic track used on a table indoors is not the same as installing it outside where it will be impacted by terrain and changes in temperature (the question asking how is expansion managed by the OP led me to believe he was asking for how to use plastic track outside).
I don't think plastic points are going to be durable longer term as the weight of live steam locos will wear the point frogs and blades.
Re: What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?
Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:54 pm
by steamyjim
I came across this chaps YouTube channel the other day while hunting for suitable scale ballast for garden railway use. He seems to have a fairly extensive railway using 45mm plastic track and has a few how to videos on various aspects of using plastic track (including one on painting it). Perhaps worth dropping him a message via his YouTube channel to see how he gets on with the issues you mention.
I am talking about running outside. Yearly temperatures vary from an occasional 105 F in the summer to an equally occasional lightly below freezing in the winter. I do plan a well packed 1/4 inch crushed gravel bed.
If the switches are the weak point, is it possible to integrate metal railed switches with plastic rail track?
Re: What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?
Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:13 am
by ge_rik
My main concern with using plastic track outside would be UV. The track sold by ECR says it's suitable for outdoor use (and live steam) but doesn't mention if it's UV resistant. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223021779374
Rik
Re: What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?
Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:05 pm
by yellow_cad
I understand that some people paint the plastic track to protect against UV.
Re: What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?
Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:19 pm
by tom_tom_go
Why do you want to use plastic track?
Re: What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?
Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:25 pm
by yellow_cad
My thought is to use plastic track several reasons. First is cost, second is the fact that I will be placing my layout under some very messy trees (for shade and other reasons) and believe the plastic would do better in this environment, and third I thought that the natural lubrication properties of plastic would be beneficial since I do not need to conduct electricity through the rails.
Re: What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?
Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:59 am
by Jimmyb
Plastic track is not really much cheaper than metal, especially if you look at ebay. Sap and bird mess will ruin paint on cars, and I would think would penetrate plastic. Plastic wheel cause drag on metal rails, metal on metal being much smoother, so again I feel your reasoning may be flawed.
Obviously these are just my thoughts, and somebody could easily shoot me down.
Re: What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?
Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:39 am
by FWLR
For me it all depends on budget. Like other members have said though, metal is by far cheaper in the long run, although I would try and buy a small amount first if that's the way you are wanting to go and see how well it stands up to everyday wear and tear. By a small amount I mean just a few pieces if that's possible. Then see if it is still want you want to use. Bear in mind though that there are quite a lot of people who use coal and meths fired locos and it would frighten the life out of me if it was my track going up in flames and even more importantly, if my loco was to get fire damaged because of it.
Re: What are the ins and outs of plastic rail?
Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:28 pm
by yellow_cad
Jimmyb wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:59 am
Plastic track is not really much cheaper than metal, especially if you look at ebay. Sap and bird mess will ruin paint on cars, and I would think would penetrate plastic. Plastic wheel cause drag on metal rails, metal on metal being much smoother, so again I feel your reasoning may be flawed.
Obviously these are just my thoughts, and somebody could easily shoot me down.