An international forum for garden railway modellers in all scales and gauges. It is free to join and is funded through voluntary contributions by its members. Many thanks to all those who keep it going. https://gardenrails.org/forum/
Does anyone have any experience/advice/ideas regarding installing smoke generators in electric locos? I wonder if Seuthe generators might be a possible idea but these might be small if they are aimed at 4mm scale. I would like to try to have smoke issuing from my (yet to be built) electric locos if possible. Any thoughts?
Re: Smoke generators in electric locos.
Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:19 am
by philipy
Chris, there have been several threads on this subject in the past. If you put "smoke generators" into the search box at the top RH corner of the forum screen, you'll get various thread references and you can take your pick. Tom did a longish thread on using smoke generators to simulate diesel smoke, but the principle is the same.
Re: Smoke generators in electric locos.
Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:49 pm
by chrispearce
Many thanks. I will follow your advice.
Re: Smoke generators in electric locos
Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:47 am
by tom_tom_go
Hi Chris,
I got quite obsessive over my smoke generator mission so I am warning you now in advance before you take the plunge!
And here is one of the smoke units I was testing in action, clag!
Re: Smoke generators in electric locos
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:16 pm
by tom_tom_go
This is a great example of a G scale Piko loco with a smoke generator using DCC control:
Notice the smoke output variation with the engine noise.
Re: Smoke generators in electric locos
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:14 pm
by Scrat
Concerning the V100 East aka Harzkamel.
Nice smoke but it should be black. (see prototype videos)
Re: Smoke generators in electric locos
Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:44 pm
by tom_tom_go
Not really interested in the prototype as for an old narrow gauge diesel white smoke is justifiable!
Re: Smoke generators in electric locos
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:40 am
by Scrat
I agree for your narrow-gauge loco. For the black smoke I was just referring to the Harzkamel Video.
Re: Smoke generators in electric locos
Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:58 pm
by Jimmyb
For a diesel engine smoke comes in three colours, black is not burning fuel efficiently, blue is burning engine oil, and white is water, normal emissions are grey (ish) water and fuel, and varies according to engine temperature and wear.