Page 4 of 7

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:40 am
by invicta280
This is coming along well. I do like your homemade track.

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:57 am
by LNR
I agree with Keith, I don't think I would of been game cutting out the curved piece of track to use for the switch until I'd made the switch complete to fit in the gap!

Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:45 pm
by Dwayne
Thanks guys. I'm reaching the point where all the track will be installed and this phase will draw down in conclusion.

The reason I cut out the section of main before building the switch is to incorporate the two lengths of rail removed into the new switch. Usually there is enough to build the frog and the guard rails... waste not, want not. Other than a small handful of cutoffs all less than 2 inches long, there has been little waste.

I also tend to measure three times... cut once. And if the switch is slightly off measurement, the track can be wiggled to line up without being noticeable.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:30 am
by Dwayne
This evening after working late I was able to finish the 3rd switch at Hope. Had wanted to do this yesterday but other non-Norinoo yard projects kept me away from completing it then.

Image

Image

So that seems to be about it for switches at the moment. I've yet to decide on where I want to locate a siding for the engine shop/maintenance facility. I'm leaning towards it being at Hope but Mags is in the running as well.

If I'm able I'll add the rest of the siding coming off of this switch tomorrow.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:48 am
by Dwayne
An overhead photo of the layout from today...

Image

Still mulling the configuration of Hope. I rarely pass an opportunity to play in dirt. :)

Image

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:42 am
by Peter Butler
Nice work there, and what a difference it makes to see the green leaf and ground cover coming back.
You might find maintenance becomes a regular event.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:31 pm
by Dwayne
Peter Butler:117236 wrote:Nice work there, and what a difference it makes to see the green leaf and ground cover coming back.
You might find maintenance becomes a regular event.
Spring has sprung for certain. With the maple dropping seeds by the hundreds maintenance is already a regular event. Thankfully the seeds only drop for a few weeks before leaves start shooting forth with their welcoming shade. :)

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:45 pm
by Soar Valley Light
Great views Dwayne, they put everything into perspective. You seem to have some nice hills and valleys shaping up around the actual railway. Good work!

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:32 pm
by Dwayne
Thanks Andrew. I've made an effort to keep the switches easily accessible. In the case of the switch at Brendita (visible just to the left of the maple in the center of the photo) the hill there is about one foot away from the track which allows the needed access. The hills justify the various curves of the mainline.

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:40 pm
by Dwayne
Ran the Davenport a bit this morning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyoNGkNYFJU

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:00 pm
by Dwayne
Installed about two feet of track from the engine shop switch at Hope to the future location of the turntable using a clay potting saucer as a mockup.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:25 am
by LNR
And there was me thinking the round imprint in the ground was so you could rest your bucket there! ;) :lol:  
Great video. Your track work looks good now and will get even better with time and a bit of growth.
Grant.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:56 am
by Dwayne
Thanks Grant. Still much to do but I am glad to have gotten the majority of track in place before the groundcovers really establish themselves. As is, I've already had to trim some of it at Mags since a few sprigs were already growing over the track there.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:40 pm
by Dwayne
Another short video.

https://youtu.be/DZ5tE_5S5kE

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:00 pm
by LNR
Well as the camera indicates, the transition in and out of your curves is very smooth. Through points (switches) as well. Excellent track work Dwayne.
I have an old hairdryer to blow the track clean if required before a run. It's not strong enough to shift all the fines that are in the ballast and only removes the leaves and twigs. Good for quick drying paint etc. too. I could see a use for something similar on the Norinoo Junction.
Grant.

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:05 pm
by Dwayne
At this time of year putting up with a few weeks of the silver maple's seeds is worth the shade that it'll provide once the heat of summer arrives. I'd probably wear out a blow dryer at the moment. :)

Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:09 am
by Dwayne
Began collecting parts for turntable build. Whether the idea works or not remains to be seen.

Image

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:37 am
by Dwayne
So I spent some time working on the turntable pivot tonight, mostly turning down the 3/4" x 1/2" bushing on the Taig lathe to fit into the 3/4" x 1/2" male adapter so it would turn freely.

Image

Image

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:47 am
by Dwayne
Attached the turntable pivot to it's base and added some color.

Image

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:09 am
by Dwayne
Progress on the turntable. Next on the agenda is to make a pit for it then the final install.

Image