The Awchit and Cyder Railway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
laurence703

Post by laurence703 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:50 pm

A break in the weather allowed me to complete the mainline... and run the first Steam loco on the line... still got some sidings to lay but i'm happy with it... the highest point on the line is the back fence and the lowest point is the decking in front of the house so its goes up either side and comes down the other!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Just got the shed sidings to build / lay and make look like a garden railway and less like a train set on sticks and then I'll be even more happy than I currently am with it!

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5719
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:47 pm

Well that looks just right and the loco seems to cope with the radius without having to enter 'the Dark Side' (shed). With the landscaping added you will soon be happy with the result.

laurence703

Post by laurence703 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:02 am

The leader has a relatively short wheelbase so it'll go round almost anything. The real challenge will be when the leek and manifold turns up... That'll probably involve much corner changing...

User avatar
Andrew
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3422
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Post by Andrew » Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:25 am

Wow! That was quick - nice work! I sometimes wonder quite how I manage to take so long to do anything. Perhaps I should ask the 4 kids, see if they've got any thoughts on the subject... Anyway, congratulations on getting up and running - looking forward to seeing the scenery develop...

Andrew.

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:17 pm
Location: Bournemouth

Post by Maple » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:34 pm

Looks great wish i could finish mine that quickly

User avatar
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm
Location: North West Leicestershire

Post by Soar Valley Light » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:12 pm

I wish I could START mine that quickly! :shock:  It does look a very nice job, workmanlike, neat and tidy. Well done.

Just one question...... Is that the dog's best side, photographically speaking? :lol
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

Big Jim

Post by Big Jim » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:49 pm

Fancy coming to Wales to get mine built? :lol:

Nice job and following Peter Jones' advice to get something running asap.

laurence703

Post by laurence703 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:49 pm

Thanks All!

It's not done just yet...still got sidings to lay and make it less like a railway on sticks and more a garden railway...

I spent a few hours this evening building up the dirt around the track in a few places. Also planted a few seeds for next year but a trip to B&Q for some plants for now is on the cards.

Photos of progress to come tomorrow

laurence703

Post by laurence703 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:13 pm

Photos as promised

Image

Image

Image

A few more to come a bit later

laurence703

Post by laurence703 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:43 pm

More Photos!
Image

Image

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5719
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Post by Peter Butler » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:12 pm

Wow! What a transformation..... that will look just great when the planting matures. I thought I worked quickly but you have me beat!

laurence703

Post by laurence703 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:35 pm

Thanks!
Still got a few things to do, but like all railways, they are never complete...

Got to build platforms for the main station, sidings, a small platform for the station at the summit and a shelter, make the section infront of the shed removable and make it look like a bridge and less like a plank on sticks... Also got to put some wedges on the corners...

So just a short list... may even make an Engine shed... oh and something special planned for the main station platform...

User avatar
Soar Valley Light
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm
Location: North West Leicestershire

Post by Soar Valley Light » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:15 pm

Wow, that's very nearly instant railway and it looks so good. Well done. Many things have inspired me and convinced me I should get on and build but none of them more so than your efforts.
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"

laurence703

Post by laurence703 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:31 pm

Good to know I've inspired someone!
Just start building it and see what happens... obviously do a few plans / ideas first

User avatar
Andrew
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3422
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:27 pm

Brilliant progress, well done! And yep, definitely inspiring - I dashed out into the garden and caught the last bit of light to concrete in another couple of blocks for the trackbed in my new terminus... If others can achieve so much so quickly I'd better make a bit of an effort! Keep up the good work...

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:46 am

It's certainly coming on in leaps and bounds! Where's "Emmaville" going to be??

laurence703

Post by laurence703 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:52 pm

I'd be hung, drawn and quartered if I named any part of it after my other half lol!

The plan this evening is to go to b&q again for another met post and one more bit of decking to lay the sidings on and then a small steam up to chill out with a nice bit of scrumpy!

laurence703

Post by laurence703 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:14 pm

Yesterday I laid the last piece of track and brought about the end for the time being on building the railway. I will be swapping out the Tenmille track for peco as there is a small height difference in the rail but its ok for the time being... Will need to ease a few curves later in the year but it can wait til then...

Image

Then this evening, Mr. Petch and Mr. Trebinski came over to test the line for visitor friendliness... it's not too bad but its not big enough to have open days... just two or three people playing trains.

Image

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:10 pm

I await my invitation..................

Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:17 pm
Location: Bournemouth

Post by Maple » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:05 pm

i'm a little bit jealous of two thing. the nice loco fleet, and the completed line. looks grate
'Professional Bodge artist '

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests