Page 2 of 4
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:49 pm
by Dannypenguin
Big Al:94192 wrote:Are these any good to you Peter.
Mmmmmmmm... :love10:
Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:07 pm
by Andrew
Wasp stripes are a fairly common theme there, would look good on that chunky beastie I reckon... And lots of grime...
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:20 pm
by tom_tom_go
It is great to see the progress you are making Peter in restoring my reject. Glad she is finally going to get built properly (I am not the original owner, the body work was in a bad way when I got it).
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:06 pm
by williamfj
It's looking good already, and I do believe silks purse out of a sows ear will be deserved title for this project. As for livery here's an idiotic suggestion, black with orange & yellow as seen on many of Fowler's traction engines & road locos. could really use a numpty smiley for that suggestion!
Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:19 pm
by Peter Butler
Today's progress report.....
The access doors and vents are now back on the loco. A new pair of cab doors were made to replace the originals. The reason behind this was to have a one-piece liner inside each side of the cab so that a single sheet of clear plastic can be used as windows. The window sheets have been cut to size with mitred corners so that each piece interlocks and supports the next without messing about with individual bits and the inevitable glue mess everywhere!
I am now working on the chassis and RC equipment which will fit inside a box unit attached to the chassis and will be removable complete.
Meanwhile I have sprayed a primer coat on the body and some of the small attachments I removed before. The primer is a dark grey
and I am tempted to leave it that way. Tomorrow I will shop around in paint stores to see if anything else grabs my attention.
.

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:08 am
by Dannypenguin
I think that looks great!

Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:46 am
by GTB
Peter Butler:94186 wrote:When you think I used to live within a few miles of the SVR and you are telling me what is there!
I don't even know what and where the SVR is.....
No magic involved, just that I remembered seeing something like it when I was researching Fowlers a while back and it turned up in a Google search.
When it comes to colour, it is a prewar design, so would look a bit strange in bright modern colours I think. The LMS/BR ones would have been black when new.
I like your idea of dark red and it looks like the model was once painted maroon.
You could also consider royal blue. Puffing Billy have painted a couple of their diesels in the old VR blue and gold diesel livery.........
http://www.railtasmania.com/photogal/sh ... php?id=343
Graeme
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:09 pm
by Big Al
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:45 pm
by Peter Butler
Thanks for the link Al, however, I can't get in to it and will have nothing to do with facebook.
Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:10 pm
by Peter Butler
Well, Christmas is here and my Christmas Loco is nearing completion.
I decided to go with Big Al's colour scheme, which suits the loco well. Wasp stripes will be put on to the beams and lots of grime splashed on all over! Detailing is still to follow but the main body and chassis are well under way. The windows are fitted and the idea works well. Driver is in his cab just waiting to go for a spin.
Can someone please tell me where I can get metal handrail knobs from?
I need roof mounted horns too...... ideas please.
Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:01 pm
by williamfj
What a difference a lot of TLC makes! IIRC IP Engineering do handrail knobs, as for horns IP, Cambrian and Essel Engineering make them.
Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:50 pm
by tom_tom_go
RH sell handrails and IP do a white metal horn.
Looks great Peter looking forward to seeing it running.
Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:36 pm
by Big Al
Hi Peter, I used R/House hand rail knobs and welding wire for hand rails and step holder.

Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:47 pm
by laalratty
Looks very nice, a great improvement on previously
Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:54 pm
by MDLR
Roundhouse (among others) do handrail knobs, and Cambrian Mouldings have got the horns (in a manner of speaking)
Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:59 pm
by MDLR
TommyDodd:94169 wrote:I believe it's now at Butterley so perhaps MDLR can help.
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you all on this, but I bumped into The Man That Knows today and he told me there were two 3' gauge examples which came from British Gypsum, but they had worked at a cement works. One had been used as a donor of parts to keep t'other running, so was little more than a shell and was scrapped - the other one went to Armley Mills in Leeds.
Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:32 pm
by Peter Butler
Thanks for that Brian, You are forgiven for the delay!!!!!
I have been to Armley Mills (although some time ago) and was most impressed with the collection there at the time. Some investigation into the collections is now in order. I will continue to post progress on my loco but currently await some materials.
Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:35 pm
by Peter Butler
Further to my question about brass handrail knobs, I have had a rummage through my bits box and found some brass ships stanchions....

When drilled out to take larger diameter brass rod they can be cut into two short stemmed knobs which are then superglued into the body of the loco.

I have just looked at a model ships supplier on line and found single brass knobs for as little as 24p each (incl vat) although I don't know how this compares with Brandbright etc..?

Personally I think they are OK...
What about you?
Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:47 pm
by MDLR
They look fine................. and I'm all for furtling in the "might come in useful one day" box and using what you find there.
Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:43 pm
by Peter Butler
Apart from a few details, the loco is just about complete.
I have gone with the grime finish as it makes it look well used, as I'm sure it will be!
I need to finalise the handrails as I have run out of brass rod and the local supplier has been closed over Christmas...... some people treat it as a holiday!!!
Also, buffers are to sourced and fitted along with brake hoses which I have but not yet fitted as they would be too vulnerable sticking out on their own.
The radio control gear is fitted and working and it runs slowly and I expect it to pull a reasonable weight as I have filled the short bonnet with lead and the other with the battery pack etc...
Does it have a front end, perhaps a 'A' and 'B' end? If so which is which?