Page 2 of 2

Re: Corris 4-wheeler

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:59 pm
by Marquis DeCarabas
RGCorris:54914 wrote:You chaps seem to have such knowledge of the finer details of these carriages, how about thinking of making a full-size replica that could run on the Corris Railway ?

Richard
*waves* Hello RSG!

Re: Corris 4-wheeler

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:35 pm
by RGCorris
Keith&Joanna:54923 wrote:
RGCorris:54914 wrote:You chaps seem to have such knowledge of the finer details of these carriages, how about thinking of making a full-size replica that could run on the Corris Railway ?

Richard
knowledge we may have, oodles of cash we don't  ;)  :lol:  :lol:
If you were willing to do the work, we could try and find you a sponsor !

Richard

(and hwyl to you too, Marq)

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:08 pm
by taliesin001
I may be completely wrong here but i think I heard somewhere that there would be a number of problems if replicating these coaches, I can't off the top of my head remember what those were though!

Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:02 pm
by taliesin001
I have now found the price list. The kit was around £80 with vents an extra £3 and axelboxes another £9. I don't know what wheels will be yet. I will be excepting offers based on that when finished. If I don't have any offers it will be put on ebay. However there is still a very small chance I will keep for a little while if there aren't any offers.

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:16 pm
by RGCorris
taliesin001:54964 wrote:I may be completely wrong here but i think I heard somewhere that there would be a number of problems if replicating these coaches, I can't off the top of my head remember what those were though!
It is usually said that the short wheelbase made them bouncy and rough riding; the bogie vehicles that replaced them were much smoother. It would be interesting to have a full-size replica to test the truth of those stories, even if it proved unsuitable for regular passenger services and was kept for special occasions.

Richard

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:00 pm
by taliesin001
Does anyone have an email address or telephone number for atropos as i need to order the wheels.

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:56 pm
by Tom
You have a PM :lol:

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:22 pm
by taliesin001
roof is now on and nearly complete. Balconies along with brake is now finished and I have ordered wheels so this project should be finished next week.

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:58 pm
by taliesin001
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
picture of progress before the roof is glued on.

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:10 pm
by SLRmidge
That is delightful. :D

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:49 am
by Sir Clothem Cap
4 wheelers are rougher than bogies but I love the tram like look of corris coaches.

Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:59 pm
by taliesin001
thanks for the comments. I have to congratulate brandbright once again for their service. I ordered wheels on friday and they arrived saturday morning! They are now fitted and this just leaves the roof to complete tomorrow.

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:26 pm
by taliesin001
managed to finish the carriage this evening. I am pleased with the outcome and have enjoyed building the kit. I can definitely recommend atropos for quality and they are very much worth the price. Heres the final pic
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:31 pm
by Tom
Wow!!! :shock: :lol: thats excellent, Well Done!!! :D

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:05 pm
by RGCorris
Sir Clothem Cap:55278 wrote:4 wheelers are rougher than bogies  but I love the tram like look of corris coaches.
The design was essentially the same as the street trams current in 1878 - the Corris' owners shared a number of directors with the company based at the Falcon works in Loughborough which specialised in equipping street tramways, so when they were asked to build the carriages and locos they used their existing designs. What was suitable for a street tramway system seems to have been rather less so for a steep and winding narrow gauge railway.

Richard

Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:58 pm
by Sir Clothem Cap
Ahh that explains a lot about corris stock, Even their more conventional carriages seen to be jump on and off style.

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:57 pm
by RGCorris
taliesin001:55340 wrote:managed to finish the carriage this evening. I am pleased with the outcome and have enjoyed building the kit. I can definitely recommend atropos for quality and they are very much worth the price. Heres the final pic
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Looks very good. I don't suppose you would be interested in bringing it to Corris to show at our Model Railway Exhibition over the August Bank Holiday weekend ?

Richard

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:02 pm
by taliesin001
I would have loved to, however it's currently on ebay so going to a new home. Sorry.