Another Carriage Scratchbuild for laalratty

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:24 pm

Dont you think you are putting the scratchbuilder and the knife craftsman at a disadvantage using a laser cutter in a competition!

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:17 pm

No where in the rules does it say that the entry must be hand cut out by knife, I made the deisgn on the computer and used a tool to cut it out, there was still alot of manual modeling envolved. I don't think anyone else was at a disadvantage considering I was beaten by a 9 year old, the chairman's son, with a rather nice ambulance van. I only got highly comended. I am only useing technology that is available.
You woudn't say using a jig saw is putting people without one in a disadvantaged position now would you?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Endless, Nameless

Post by Endless, Nameless » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:50 pm

I imagine most of the locomotive entries are from people with well equipped workshops- lathes, milling machines etc. Someone who only has access to hand tools could hardly complain that it's unfair that they are competing with that!

Actually many secondary schools now have access to laser cutters, so you are probably at less of an advantage competing against similar ages than it would first appear.

Ratty's work shows that you certainly don't need one to produce outstanding models though!

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:06 pm

True
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Endless, Nameless

Post by Endless, Nameless » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:28 pm

The oiks probably aren't no- very sensible, in my opinion.

I suspect that if you were to show someone your previous scratchbuilding projects, and explain about the MOTY competition and what you'd like to do, most teachers would be quite happy to let you use it- generally in my experience any pupil who is interested in something other than football, girls and bad music tends to be allowed slightly more freedom to express said interests (within reason...).

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:29 pm

YOu are quite true there!! :lol:
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Post by mhlr » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Hence why I got to build a 5'x4' garden tractor trailer when I was about 12/13 at my old school doing welding etc :lol: :lol: Sadly it's falling into disrepair now with the salt air... :cry: Need to whack out my welder n fix the thing.
Image

MTA

Post by MTA » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:49 pm

mhlr wrote:
PCLR wrote:i have accse to laeser cutter at school!!!
So do I but don't have a clue how to use it!
I did CNC Manufacture & Programming as part of my college course, I got a Merit grade for it even though I never touched a CNC machine. Figure that one out!

SillyBilly

Post by SillyBilly » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:46 pm

MTA wrote:
mhlr wrote:
PCLR wrote:i have accse to laeser cutter at school!!!
So do I but don't have a clue how to use it!
I did CNC Manufacture & Programming as part of my college course, I got a Merit grade for it even though I never touched a CNC machine. Figure that one out!
You mean they taught you what you needed to know to write the assignment?

MTA

Post by MTA » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:14 pm

SillyBilly wrote:
MTA wrote:
mhlr wrote:
PCLR wrote:i have accse to laeser cutter at school!!!
So do I but don't have a clue how to use it!
I did CNC Manufacture & Programming as part of my college course, I got a Merit grade for it even though I never touched a CNC machine. Figure that one out!
You mean they taught you what you needed to know to write the assignment?
Twas all simulated software on a PC, the program was written by one of the first tutors in the UK to teach CNC to students.

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:19 pm

If I bought a laser cutter do you think it would pay for itself by offering a laser cut service. Their price ranges from 3 to 24 thousand pounds though.

MTA

Post by MTA » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:01 pm

It certainly is one hell of an investment, but at least you don't have to worry about blunt or broken cutting tools!

Look at I.P. for example, they've increased their range tremendously since Ivan invested in one. He even made the sign to go with his trade stand with it!

I would recommend you contact Brandbright or Ivan (I dare say the former would be more helpful) to ask for advice, as they are the main people using laser cutting so in some respects they would be more 'accessible' than the smaller companies using laser cutting.

PCLR

Post by PCLR » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:16 pm

mhlr wrote:
PCLR wrote:i have accse to laeser cutter at school!!!
So do I but don't have a clue how to use it!  :?  Much happier using a band saw! Althought I'd like to learn to use the laser cutter, maybe make a coach!
we use it for cut out plywood jig saws for year 7s i am planning on 12 wagon to make will it and have 5 plank details on it

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:17 pm

Thanks for that I will approach them. I have seen some on e bay relatively cheap but the bed cutting size is not large enough for a lengthy coach. Im only a hobbyist but if there was a demand for custom built coach sides I would consider something, there as got to be a more less time consuming gadget that can cut out coach panelling. Have u seen the cardboard overlays Brandbright did does anyone know how these were cut?

MoelygestLR

Post by MoelygestLR » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:30 pm

MTA wrote: I would recommend you contact Brandbright or Ivan (I dare say the former would be more helpful)
Ahhh but there are those who think that Brandbright havn't actually got a laser cutter and they just have orders with another company like say IP engineering.

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:05 am

I know that they dont use IP cos I asked if Brandbight would produce me a drawing for IP to laser cut it and it didnt go down well with either party.

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:27 am

brandbright used to punch out the cardboard overlays. :D

METHSSNIFFER

Post by METHSSNIFFER » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:36 am

It must have been a sharp punch, thats what I thought.They must have wasted some cardboard then. I was thinking of somehow making a punch

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:54 am

A Punch! "Aw, That's The Way To Do It!" :lol:

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:47 pm

Right, a bit of debunglefication is in order...!
The first side is on, although I've had to put in a top rail on the inside to stiffen the assembly up, as the wood for the side was quite wavy and it didn't look too good

Image
The top rail can't be seen in the pic, but you can see that I've started on the beading. There is a lot more of this then on FfR Van 4. I've already got through quite a lot of 2mm wide strip and i'm not sure i'm half way there yet for this side

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests