Page 2 of 2

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:48 pm
by Narrow Minded
Any further progress Mr B. ?

Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:19 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
I've had them painted and should do a little more tomorrow!

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm
by Woodfields Light Railway
Judging by the fact that that post was posted 2 years ago, I guess it's painted now? :D

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:58 am
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
There did indeed get painted up and I placed them about but they quickly got damaged. I've done a lot of work with buildings for Woodbridge which I think I posted in my general topic. Perhaps I should have posted them here?

Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:40 pm
by SapperAnt
Thanks for the inspiration to finish and repair some of my structures!!!

Ive made mine from polystyrene but covered with waterproof tile grout I then scribed to make rough stone or just left to represent render.

I'm experimenting with self adhesive floor tiles - of a s uitably sltate tastic texture and colour- to use as slates..........

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:12 pm
by steamyjim
What paint did you use on the buildings? Clearly something that doesn't attack the polystyrene but stands up to outdoor use.

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:16 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Masonry paint for exteriors. White is used and then the colour I want is mixed by adding different amounts of various acrylic paints. A little sand is often added for texture.

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:31 pm
by steamyjim
Mr. Bond of the DVLR:99169 wrote:Masonry paint for exteriors. White is used and then the colour I want is mixed by adding different amounts of various acrylic paints. A little sand is often added for texture.
Thank you! What about your windows and doors - do you buy them in or build them yourself?

Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:41 pm
by Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Doors are all strip wood glued onto plywood and windows are all manner of things from bits of cut up plastic crate to strip wood to bought ones. I am not very good at window frames If I am honest they are the weakest part

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:00 pm
by steamyjim
Mr. Bond of the DVLR:99171 wrote:Doors are all strip wood glued onto plywood and windows are all manner of things from bits of cut up plastic crate to strip wood to bought ones. I am not very good at window frames If I am honest they are the weakest part
It's the bit that is putting me off getting around to my buildings. Building good windows seems like a lot of work for little actual progress! I'll just have to sit down at do it at some stage though. :cry:

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:52 pm
by kandnwlr
If you´re willing to apply the three foot rule, then budgie grit is a surprisingly effective alternative for modelling flint. Photos available ...

Then believe it or not, there is a dolls house materials supplier that does flint paper (like brick paper) - but I clearly not for leaving outside in the rain ....