A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
-
Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Post
by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:51 pm
It just had to come along at some point!
This is my latest offering to the ever growing stable of motive power.... you would think I like playing trains, but I don't. I make them and that's enough to satisfy me.
This new one is based very loosely on a DeWinton. It is on a home built chassis with alluminium frames, steel frame spacers (bought) wheels and cranks (also from a manufacturer) 6v motor and gearbox (IP I think?) and various bits including LEGO gears.
The pistons operate from gears mounted on the axle.

Bodywork is plasticard with dozens of home made stamped rivets, each one lovingly placed with a dab of adhesive and a sharp pointed instrument. (I'm having my eyes tested tomorrow!!!)

-
steamie1
Post
by steamie1 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:10 pm
WoW!
-
WVLR
Post
by WVLR » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:13 pm
Interesting as I'm having similar ideas for one of the Essel Engineering chassis that I bought of Ebay recently.
Batteries in the boiler and turn the funnel for speed control.
-
Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Post
by Peter Butler » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:18 pm
My battery pack will fit comfortably in the water tank but a similar plan to yours was to put a speed controller as the chimney top if I can find a suitable cap.
-
WVLR
Post
by WVLR » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:29 pm
I was thinking more along the lines of having the whole of the funnel turning for the speed control.
-
MDLR
Post
by MDLR » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:57 pm
Peter Butler:96803 wrote:(I'm having my eyes tested tomorrow!!!)
I reckon you need your head testing!
It's certainly going to be a VERY nice loco!
-
tom_tom_go
- Driver

- Posts: 4824
- Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
- Location: Kent, UK
-
Contact:
Post
by tom_tom_go » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:16 am
Nice one with the Lego Technic bits Peter.
I have built a small loco/wagon using Lego in this scale before and it's good fun because you don't mind what colour bricks you use

-
Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Post
by Peter Butler » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:35 pm
MDLR:96808 wrote:Peter Butler:96803 wrote:(I'm having my eyes tested tomorrow!!!)
I reckon you need your head testing! :salute: :lol:
It's certainly going to be a VERY nice loco!
Eyes have passed the test...... On the waiting list for a Head transplant!
-
Dannypenguin
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 632
- Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 am
- Location: Forest of Dean, UK
-
Contact:
Post
by Dannypenguin » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:28 pm
Like the look of this

-
williamfj
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 605
- Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:20 pm
- Location: York
Post
by williamfj » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:16 pm
Definately got the DeWinton look about her, I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses from here on in.
-
Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Post
by Peter Butler » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:30 pm
Sprayed with grey primer today. Top coat tomorrow with luck.
I'll post photographs when it's done.
-
jim@NAL
- Driver

- Posts: 1142
- Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:01 am
- Location: haverhill suffok
Post
by jim@NAL » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:11 pm
your models are always bloody fantastic mr peter .well done I look forward to seeing more of this ilove the pistons and the fact you have used lego in there too well done
-
Droopy
Post
by Droopy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:34 am
jim@NAL:96849 wrote:your models are always bloody fantastic mr peter .well done I look forward to seeing more of this ilove the pistons and the fact you have used lego in there too well done
I totally agree with that !

-
Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Post
by Peter Butler » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:21 pm
Firstly in grey primer....
And then in top coat before detailing.....
Lots of general 'gubbins' to add now.... pipework, stop valves, gauges etc...
-
WVLR
Post
by WVLR » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:26 pm
I like the fancy boiler top and funnel, is this going to be an Emett
style De-Winton

-
MDLR
Post
by MDLR » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:37 pm
I know modern locos have to have yellow ends, but.......................
FWOR! It's a bit bright.............................
-
Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Post
by Peter Butler » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:33 am
WVLR:96923 wrote:I like the fancy boiler top and funnel, is this going to be an Emett
style De-Winton ;)
Well spotted.... it is an Emett style DeWinton! My Emetts have been sadly neglected for the past few months, so it is time to put things straight.
Brian, it is BRIGHT at this stage, but when it is covered in various useless accessories it should calm down...
-
Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Post
by Peter Butler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:21 pm
Now you have heard of 'Polar Bear' and 'Sea Lion'..... well meet....
'Snail'
Looking a lot less yellow now Brian!
Still to follow is the Emett style driver. He will be made from an artists poseable figure which is about 1/12th scale. He can be stuck permanently in any stance, clothed with Miliput and painted. I have used this method before and it seems OK. The head shown in the picture will probably not be the one finally used as I would like someone younger looking.

My March 'loco' might not be a loco at all as I am getting behind with my plans for the winter season. If so the post for that will be elsewhere.
-
WVLR
Post
by WVLR » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:25 pm
Absolutely Fantastic, I especially like the Windermere Kettle.
-
MDLR
Post
by MDLR » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:49 pm
VERY smart (and a LOT less yellow!)

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests