Mmmmmmmm... :love10:
A Christmas Loco
- Dannypenguin
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 632
- Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 am
- Location: Forest of Dean, UK
- Contact:
Dan
Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/
Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/
- Andrew
- Moderator

- Posts: 3422
- Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm
- Location: Bristol, UK
- Contact:
- tom_tom_go
- Driver

- Posts: 4824
- Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
- Location: Kent, UK
- Contact:
- williamfj
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 605
- Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:20 pm
- Location: York
- Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Today's progress report.....
The access doors and vents are now back on the loco. A new pair of cab doors were made to replace the originals. The reason behind this was to have a one-piece liner inside each side of the cab so that a single sheet of clear plastic can be used as windows. The window sheets have been cut to size with mitred corners so that each piece interlocks and supports the next without messing about with individual bits and the inevitable glue mess everywhere!
I am now working on the chassis and RC equipment which will fit inside a box unit attached to the chassis and will be removable complete.
Meanwhile I have sprayed a primer coat on the body and some of the small attachments I removed before. The primer is a dark grey
and I am tempted to leave it that way. Tomorrow I will shop around in paint stores to see if anything else grabs my attention.
.


The access doors and vents are now back on the loco. A new pair of cab doors were made to replace the originals. The reason behind this was to have a one-piece liner inside each side of the cab so that a single sheet of clear plastic can be used as windows. The window sheets have been cut to size with mitred corners so that each piece interlocks and supports the next without messing about with individual bits and the inevitable glue mess everywhere!
I am now working on the chassis and RC equipment which will fit inside a box unit attached to the chassis and will be removable complete.
Meanwhile I have sprayed a primer coat on the body and some of the small attachments I removed before. The primer is a dark grey
and I am tempted to leave it that way. Tomorrow I will shop around in paint stores to see if anything else grabs my attention.
.
- Dannypenguin
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 632
- Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 am
- Location: Forest of Dean, UK
- Contact:
I think that looks great! 
Dan
Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/
Visit the PFLR website - http://poultonfarmlightrailway.webs.com/
Dean Forest Railway Society website - http://dfrsociety.org/
- GTB
- Driver

- Posts: 1717
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:46 pm
- Location: Australia
I don't even know what and where the SVR is.....Peter Butler:94186 wrote:When you think I used to live within a few miles of the SVR and you are telling me what is there!
No magic involved, just that I remembered seeing something like it when I was researching Fowlers a while back and it turned up in a Google search.
When it comes to colour, it is a prewar design, so would look a bit strange in bright modern colours I think. The LMS/BR ones would have been black when new.
I like your idea of dark red and it looks like the model was once painted maroon.
You could also consider royal blue. Puffing Billy have painted a couple of their diesels in the old VR blue and gold diesel livery.........
http://www.railtasmania.com/photogal/sh ... php?id=343
Graeme
- Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
- Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Well, Christmas is here and my Christmas Loco is nearing completion.
I decided to go with Big Al's colour scheme, which suits the loco well. Wasp stripes will be put on to the beams and lots of grime splashed on all over! Detailing is still to follow but the main body and chassis are well under way. The windows are fitted and the idea works well. Driver is in his cab just waiting to go for a spin.


Can someone please tell me where I can get metal handrail knobs from?
I need roof mounted horns too...... ideas please.
I decided to go with Big Al's colour scheme, which suits the loco well. Wasp stripes will be put on to the beams and lots of grime splashed on all over! Detailing is still to follow but the main body and chassis are well under way. The windows are fitted and the idea works well. Driver is in his cab just waiting to go for a spin.
Can someone please tell me where I can get metal handrail knobs from?
I need roof mounted horns too...... ideas please.
- tom_tom_go
- Driver

- Posts: 4824
- Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
- Location: Kent, UK
- Contact:
-
Big Al
-
MDLR
-
MDLR
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you all on this, but I bumped into The Man That Knows today and he told me there were two 3' gauge examples which came from British Gypsum, but they had worked at a cement works. One had been used as a donor of parts to keep t'other running, so was little more than a shell and was scrapped - the other one went to Armley Mills in Leeds.TommyDodd:94169 wrote:I believe it's now at Butterley so perhaps MDLR can help.
- Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Thanks for that Brian, You are forgiven for the delay!!!!!
I have been to Armley Mills (although some time ago) and was most impressed with the collection there at the time. Some investigation into the collections is now in order. I will continue to post progress on my loco but currently await some materials.
I have been to Armley Mills (although some time ago) and was most impressed with the collection there at the time. Some investigation into the collections is now in order. I will continue to post progress on my loco but currently await some materials.
- Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Further to my question about brass handrail knobs, I have had a rummage through my bits box and found some brass ships stanchions....

When drilled out to take larger diameter brass rod they can be cut into two short stemmed knobs which are then superglued into the body of the loco.

I have just looked at a model ships supplier on line and found single brass knobs for as little as 24p each (incl vat) although I don't know how this compares with Brandbright etc..?

Personally I think they are OK...
What about you?
When drilled out to take larger diameter brass rod they can be cut into two short stemmed knobs which are then superglued into the body of the loco.
I have just looked at a model ships supplier on line and found single brass knobs for as little as 24p each (incl vat) although I don't know how this compares with Brandbright etc..?
Personally I think they are OK...
What about you?
-
MDLR
- Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5717
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Apart from a few details, the loco is just about complete.
I have gone with the grime finish as it makes it look well used, as I'm sure it will be!





I need to finalise the handrails as I have run out of brass rod and the local supplier has been closed over Christmas...... some people treat it as a holiday!!!
Also, buffers are to sourced and fitted along with brake hoses which I have but not yet fitted as they would be too vulnerable sticking out on their own.
The radio control gear is fitted and working and it runs slowly and I expect it to pull a reasonable weight as I have filled the short bonnet with lead and the other with the battery pack etc...
Does it have a front end, perhaps a 'A' and 'B' end? If so which is which?
I have gone with the grime finish as it makes it look well used, as I'm sure it will be!
I need to finalise the handrails as I have run out of brass rod and the local supplier has been closed over Christmas...... some people treat it as a holiday!!!
Also, buffers are to sourced and fitted along with brake hoses which I have but not yet fitted as they would be too vulnerable sticking out on their own.
The radio control gear is fitted and working and it runs slowly and I expect it to pull a reasonable weight as I have filled the short bonnet with lead and the other with the battery pack etc...
Does it have a front end, perhaps a 'A' and 'B' end? If so which is which?
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

