Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
-
laalratty
Post
by laalratty » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:06 pm
Well having run out of the need to build scratchbuild coaches (i've got 9 now though the 4 wheeler is still for sale) I've finally decided to get on with the IMP models kit of the North Wales Narrow guage workers coach kit that I brought at Stoneleigh (Well I brought 2 but I sold one of them). Needless to say, the kit is lot more complex than an IP engineering kit, with much more cutting involved and many of the parts have required extra sanding or even cutting to fit. However i've managed to get the body built

All of the planking had to be hand scribed!!!

There have also been a couple of errors with the kit and the instructions, overall its caused quite a bit of head scratching and the really tricky bit, the window trim and frames and droplights is comming up next. Having had many people say how nice my scratchbuilt coaches are, it would be a bit embarrasing to be defeated by a kit!!!
-
andysleigh
- Driver

- Posts: 1362
- Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:21 pm
- Location: Guildford
-
Contact:
Post
by andysleigh » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:41 pm
that looks great.
and to think i found the small guards van kit hard to build, i cant imagine building that coach.
-
SillyBilly
Post
by SillyBilly » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:01 pm
As exquisite as ever!
-
mhlr
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4336
- Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
- Location: Shropshire, England
Post
by mhlr » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:15 pm
Nah, I doubt you will get defeated by it. Just dont listen to instructions then, use your magic scratch building powers to put the bits together

-
laalratty
Post
by laalratty » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:08 pm
Well I fought the kit instructions, and did I win? Judge for yourself...

The first side of window frames, trim and droplights is complete, although im still not sure if I used the correct sizes of wood for the bits or even put them together right, though I think it looks ok. However all of the window frames and trim had to be cut induvidualy from lengths of stripwood, so it was rather a long job and i've still got 1 side to do!
-
SillyBilly
Post
by SillyBilly » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:02 pm
You've won allright!
-
laalratty
Post
by laalratty » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:37 pm
Well whilst awaiting the return of SLRmidge's van for completion, I managed to complete the window trim of the IMP carriage, and also finish the interior by putting the slats on the seats

Indeed there are not too many bits left in the box now, so it will soon be time to start that oh so joyfull (not

) job of painting
-
ACLR
Post
by ACLR » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:49 pm
looks great now for the paint job
-
Chris Cairns
- Driver

- Posts: 2372
- Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:25 pm
- Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Post
by Chris Cairns » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:50 pm
A lot of woodwork in those coaches.
Will you be able to paint the interior OK with the roof beams in place?
-
laalratty
Post
by laalratty » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:52 pm
Should be able to, though i'll use wood stain like on my other coaches
-
SillyBilly
Post
by SillyBilly » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:54 pm
-
mhlr
- Retired Director

- Posts: 4336
- Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
- Location: Shropshire, England
Post
by mhlr » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:04 pm
SillyBilly wrote: 
.................:knob:
More like

its bloody aweful! I hate it!!!!
HAHAHA

I want one NOW!!!

-
laalratty
Post
by laalratty » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:18 pm
Well its been an age since I posted something about this. You would of thought it would be in service by now but...now ermmm...

As you can see, a lot of paint of various shades has been applied (in fact 4 different paint colours) to try and replicate the ex North Wales Narrow guage carriage livery of vanetian red. Unfortunatly the first three attempts did not match at all really, and the 4th attempt is only a bit closer. However I will paint it this colour (railmatch BR crimson) because I cannot be bothered to carry on looking for the correct paint. Hopefully it will be completed soon, maybe by the end of March (the first anniversery of when I got the kit!!!)
-
SillyBilly
Post
by SillyBilly » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:25 pm
It'll stick out like a sore thumb in your fleet of coaches

!
-
laalratty
Post
by laalratty » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:29 pm
well it's the workers coach and so won't be seen with the others often. The other kit that I brought with this one at Stoneleigh and later sold is also dark red (and embarrisingly is in service despite the fact that mine had a head start of many months) so they should look good together
-
SillyBilly
Post
by SillyBilly » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:32 pm
Right, will it run with the mess van often?
-
laalratty
Post
by laalratty » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:40 pm
probebly not, the workers coach is for the quarrymen at the slate quarry, although I know that really is dosn't fit too well with my railway, the problem was I couldn't stop myself when I saw the £20 price tag.
hmmm this is making me think that there won't be too much I can run it with, maybe just the little scratchbuilt FfR van dad built for the guard, i'll see what it looks like against my other stuff when its finished
-
ptlrcecil
Post
by ptlrcecil » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:29 pm
Looking good ratty.
Windows look nice

-
laalratty
Post
by laalratty » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:49 pm
After a week of sustained work on this carriage, the painting is finally complete (after about 4 months :roll: ), and as you can see in this pic, the carriage is also finally on its wheels!

The Truss rod has been fitted on one side and just needs gluing in, and the glazing has also been fitted on one side, another long job as the the glazing for each window has to be individually cut.

There is just the fitting of the rest of the glazing, and the details like air pipes, steps and vents to do before this carriage is finally finished

Last edited by laalratty on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
SillyBilly
Post
by SillyBilly » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:51 pm
laalratty wrote:and the details like air pipes
Does this mean your going to have to dual brake your locos

?
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests