A place for discussing battery-electric locomotives, whether they're diesel, steam or even electric outline
-
SapperAnt
Post
by SapperAnt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:23 am
Thanks
The chassis ran smoothely on blocks but out on the line the worm gear has just got chewed up. but going forwards only. which is odd.
I shall change the worm gear and re-align the motor. Anyone got a fag paper

-
dhippey
Post
by dhippey » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:38 am
My guess is it is pulled in-line in reverse out out of line in forward. Try moving the brass gear to equalise the movement between fwd and reverse. Maybe try slackening the motor back a little too.
-
SapperAnt
Post
by SapperAnt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:13 am
Will do!
-
Busted Bricks
Post
by Busted Bricks » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:21 am
The worm is long enough that you can move it a bit on the motor shaft to extend its useful life.
-
jay1976
Post
by jay1976 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:15 pm
Mines done about 4 maybe 5 hours running with no wear but I did take a bit of time getting the worm gear correctly lined up.. I have added a drop of carbon grease which made it much quieter(I know people say no need to lube nylon gears, but mine hasnt worn out yet)
oh and it will pull 8 mamod wagons ok on the flat and on a greasy uphill it will just pull the 8 as 9 made it start to spin its wheels, A bit of lead weight would cure that but as we all know mamod wagons are not light.. pulls my 12 big big tippers ok as they are very light(and looks more realistic)
-
MANNIX
Post
by MANNIX » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:46 pm
SapperAnt:89695 wrote:Here's mine. I still need to find something to make an exhaust from.
I have noticed that after prolonged running the nylon worm gear on my example has been pretty chewed up so that in forward it only just goes....not goood.
Click to see full size image
Nice work ! : How did you make all the rivets ?
-
SapperAnt
Post
by SapperAnt » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:06 pm
Blobs of superglue gell
-
MANNIX
Post
by MANNIX » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:48 am
Good idea ! And very easy to make.
-
SapperAnt
Post
by SapperAnt » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:52 pm
Yep. And a lot easier than gluing on individual Cambrian Rivets. Which is how I started doing the rivetting.....and then went bozz eyed.
-
MANNIX
Post
by MANNIX » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:38 pm
Oops ! I'm not patient enough to do that and I'm not a rivet counter...so I do what I can.

-
dhippey
Post
by dhippey » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:38 pm
Don't forget to send pictures of any HGLW products you have built to
hglw@eagleassist.com for us to put on the HGLW facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/hglocoworks (You don't need to be a facebook user to view the page)
It's good to share your ideas with others and for you to get inspiration from what others have done.
TIA
Regards,
David H.
-
Bandit
Post
by Bandit » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:21 pm
dhippey:90476 wrote:Don't forget to send pictures of any HGLW products you have built to
hglw@eagleassist.com for us to put on the HGLW facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/hglocoworks (You don't need to be a facebook user to view the page)
It's good to share your ideas with others and for you to get inspiration from what others have done.
TIA
Regards,
David H.
I'm gonna make it when I'm done. Right now I'm waiting for my loco (chassis & body) kit...
-
jay1976
Post
by jay1976 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:03 pm
A pic or 2..
And then pictured with 2 of hglw coachs ir red(keen eyed will notice they are not in exactly same red shades,this was done on purpose as my line will be preserved lococs and stock so I can run what I want and in any colour I like..
I now plan to remove the axle boxes on the coachs and fit bogies as they dont like uneven track and derail at slightest up or down..I got some old hornby wagons which are very rusty but have good axles and bogies and were very cheap from local charity shop(cost me £1 each wagon)
-
Bandit
Post
by Bandit » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:34 am
dhippey:90476 wrote:Don't forget to send pictures of any HGLW products you have built to
hglw@eagleassist.com for us to put on the HGLW facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/hglocoworks (You don't need to be a facebook user to view the page)
It's good to share your ideas with others and for you to get inspiration from what others have done.
TIA
Regards,
David H.
Done! And I'm very happy to see my photos on FB!

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests