Busted Bricks
-
Catweasel
Busted Bricks
Just placed my order for a couple of Michael's 4 W/D chassis. One for a body I got from him t'other day and one for a project loco, which willl be revealed in due course. Hint. The prototype is 18" gauge,so will need to be "fudged" to fit 32mm.
-
Catweasel
Busted Bricks
In case any one is interested, a Busted Bricks 4 w/d loco will push an unpowered 4 w/d chassis round 2 ft. 6 inch curves with no trouble. Obviously the unpowered chassis wheels are not turning. A fair bit of grunt for a littl'un.
-
Jerm
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 114
- Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:06 pm
- Location: Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
-
Catweasel
Busted Bricks
I agree. Marvelous bits of kit. Pity that Michael is re-locating. Get them whilst you can. I have a couple built and another modified for smaller wheels under construction. I also have a selection of pulleys available for other projects as I find the belt drive is much more user friendly than fiddly chains. Jig is well thought out and makes things easy. All in all, well designed and very good value. A sad loss when no longer available unless some one takes up the mantle.
Last edited by Catweasel on Tue May 14, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Busted Bricks
-
dhippey
Hi guys, an update to this thread is that the Houstoun Gate Locomotive Works has taken over the Busted Bricks garden railway range. The webshop is now up and running and able to take your orders. Visit www.hglw.co.uk and you will find all the old Busted Bricks items for sale on the Rolling Stock Kits page.
Also see www.facebook.com/hglocoworks to see what I'm up to in the workshop.
If you already have any of the BB models I'd love to have pictures for the HGLW website and FB page to post as inspiration to others. Let me know what you have got.
Regards,
David H.
Also see www.facebook.com/hglocoworks to see what I'm up to in the workshop.
If you already have any of the BB models I'd love to have pictures for the HGLW website and FB page to post as inspiration to others. Let me know what you have got.
Regards,
David H.
-
Si
Great news!
Have to start saving my pennies for a 4wd chassis again.
Anyway, if you want photos of what has been built on a BB chassis, then please feel free to use this one:
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg4 ... en/d18.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg4 ... en/d17.jpg
Have to start saving my pennies for a 4wd chassis again.
Anyway, if you want photos of what has been built on a BB chassis, then please feel free to use this one:
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg4 ... en/d18.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg4 ... en/d17.jpg
-
jay1976
just found the same kits in a mag (16mm assoc) ordered a 4wd chassis and diesel body lb1..
http://www.eagleassist.com/hglw/kits.html
cant wait for them to arrive as never made a sm32 kit before(made OO kits many years ago)
http://www.eagleassist.com/hglw/kits.html
cant wait for them to arrive as never made a sm32 kit before(made OO kits many years ago)
-
Enginehouse
I looked at the new coach displayed in the 16mm mag and decided that I must have a couple after the Llanfair show in a week or so. Interestingly today one of our members brought along to our 16mm local group meet, a very similar looking small battery loco from a very well known manufacturer of steam locos that cost £500 in round figures.jay1976:87025 wrote:just found the same kits in a mag (16mm assoc) ordered a 4wd chassis and diesel body lb1..
http://www.eagleassist.com/hglw/kits.html
cant wait for them to arrive as never made a sm32 kit before(made OO kits many years ago)
This led us to discuss fitting R/C into the BB loco. Battery pack in the cab and its easy. Cost with a cheap 2.4 RC system under £45.00 or with an existing transmitter quite a lot less.
Now busily fitting RC And the almost mandatory brass grab handles to my two BB locos
-
dhippey
In the post Jay, although I missed the postman's collection today, so I guess watch for the postie Tuesday.
D.
D.
jay1976:87025 wrote:just found the same kits in a mag (16mm assoc) ordered a 4wd chassis and diesel body lb1..
http://www.eagleassist.com/hglw/kits.html
cant wait for them to arrive as never made a sm32 kit before(made OO kits many years ago)
-
jay1976
thats ok..wasnt expecting it to arrive until next week one day..
I just been told of a web page which does very small receivers.
http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/rx_dt_land.html
I just been told of a web page which does very small receivers.
http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/rx_dt_land.html
-
jay1976
I looked at the new coach displayed in the 16mm mag and decided that I must have a couple after the Llanfair show in a week or so. Interestingly
This led us to discuss fitting R/C into the BB loco. Battery pack in the cab and its easy. Cost with a cheap 2.4 RC system under £45.00 or with an existing transmitter quite a lot less.
Now busily fitting RC And the almost mandatory brass grab handles to my two BB locos
:lol:[/quote]
Decided I am going to have 2 of the coachs for my birthday in november as wife has been saying what do I want from her and kids so am going to print off the web page and circle the coach with a X2..maybe also a flat bed wagon..For the low cost and for people with not huge amounts to lay out on a hobby they seem ideal and for not much more adding a bit of detail and radio control makes them pretty good...in my other thread of me buying 1 I will update it when it arrives and how easy to build and if dhippey wants to use any of the pics or anyone else feel free..
This led us to discuss fitting R/C into the BB loco. Battery pack in the cab and its easy. Cost with a cheap 2.4 RC system under £45.00 or with an existing transmitter quite a lot less.
Now busily fitting RC And the almost mandatory brass grab handles to my two BB locos
Decided I am going to have 2 of the coachs for my birthday in november as wife has been saying what do I want from her and kids so am going to print off the web page and circle the coach with a X2..maybe also a flat bed wagon..For the low cost and for people with not huge amounts to lay out on a hobby they seem ideal and for not much more adding a bit of detail and radio control makes them pretty good...in my other thread of me buying 1 I will update it when it arrives and how easy to build and if dhippey wants to use any of the pics or anyone else feel free..
-
Busted Bricks
If you could settle for just fwd/rev then a BB loco could be converted to R/C for under £20 if you already have a transmitter I reckon. You would need to run off 3 cells to ensure enough voltage for the receiver but the loco is not overly fast on 3 cells. Just glue two microswitches onto a micro servo.
This receiver:
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_i ... ts_id=5883
This servo:
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_i ... ts_id=2288
Less than £10. Add a few bob for microswitches and a 3 cell holder and you are up and running. It might be possible to squeeze all under the hood.
I did fit R/C with speed control to one. A friend of mine has designed a nice, small and affordable ESC that I intend to manufacture. Unfortunately it looks like my friend has a career change on his hands so plans have had to be put on hold. I have a move to sort out anyway.......
This receiver:
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_i ... ts_id=5883
This servo:
http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_i ... ts_id=2288
Less than £10. Add a few bob for microswitches and a 3 cell holder and you are up and running. It might be possible to squeeze all under the hood.
I did fit R/C with speed control to one. A friend of mine has designed a nice, small and affordable ESC that I intend to manufacture. Unfortunately it looks like my friend has a career change on his hands so plans have had to be put on hold. I have a move to sort out anyway.......
-
tegfan railway
Bit disappointing really, ordered a 4WD chassis and body kit last week from the new website but still no parcel, this is a shame as Michael gave a much quicker delivery service. Hopefully this is just teething problems of the new supplier. At least the delay gives me more chance to collect detailing bits and bobs!
-
Busted Bricks
-
Catweasel
Busted Bricks
You don't need a servo with battery loco's. You do need a speed controller though.
-
jay1976
I got mine today.. I work nights and its my 3year old birthday party this saturday so no kit building until saturday night/sunday..
I got a micro 2.4ghz receiver and a micro speed controller coming in next few days which should in the cab, batterys will fit under bonnet and as i will use rechargable batterys and a small socket(i use the same socket and charger for my other locos)
receiver and esc will fit in the cab on the front bulkhead then i can cover them with a bit of plastic the driver stands just behind them (my normal tin tin man or pirate)
I got a micro 2.4ghz receiver and a micro speed controller coming in next few days which should in the cab, batterys will fit under bonnet and as i will use rechargable batterys and a small socket(i use the same socket and charger for my other locos)
receiver and esc will fit in the cab on the front bulkhead then i can cover them with a bit of plastic the driver stands just behind them (my normal tin tin man or pirate)
-
Busted Bricks
Re: Busted Bricks
Not if you don't need to control the speed. A simple fwd/rev is easily achieved with a micro servo and 2 micro switches. I would show how if it wasn't for the fact that all my belongings are packed away in boxes.Catweasel:87111 wrote:You don't need a servo with battery loco's. You do need a speed controller though.
-
dhippey
Hi, sorry to hear you have experienced a delay. Can you send an email to HGLW@EagleAssist.com with your name and address to allow us to check up on your order. Thanks.tegfan railway:87108 wrote:Bit disappointing really, ordered a 4WD chassis and body kit last week from the new website but still no parcel, this is a shame as Michael gave a much quicker delivery service. Hopefully this is just teething problems of the new supplier. At least the delay gives me more chance to collect detailing bits and bobs!
-
dhippey
Hi Tegfan,dhippey:87135 wrote:Hi, sorry to hear you have experienced a delay. Can you send an email to HGLW@EagleAssist.com with your name and address to allow us to check up on your order. Thanks.tegfan railway:87108 wrote:Bit disappointing really, ordered a 4WD chassis and body kit last week from the new website but still no parcel, this is a shame as Michael gave a much quicker delivery service. Hopefully this is just teething problems of the new supplier. At least the delay gives me more chance to collect detailing bits and bobs!
Have you received your order yet? I've not heard anything from you.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 62 guests