Corris 4 wheeler

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
taliesin001

Corris 4 wheeler

Post by taliesin001 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:57 pm

I went to Steam in beds today and there I bought one of the Atropos 4 wheeled carriages. I don't know that much about the corris so some research on these carriages is neccesary, apparently the oil hole and vent combinations were different so I am going to have to find out which one I want to model. The pic below shows the many parts involved in this very good quality kit, some careful reading of the instructions is required! Does anyone know where to get the correct transfers from?
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:03 pm

I have built 13 of those and own 4 I have the vent and oiler hole combinations etched into my brain! Martin at atropos did do some of the transfers that mine now sports, but they were experimental and dont know if he progressed with them. Also the correct corris red is very hard to find as it has no BS or RAL number and as far as I can see is not close to a railway colour. My paint came from the talyllyn which was matched to original paint found on Sir Haydns wheel.

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:17 pm

Hope this helps

Image
Image

Now there were 4 phases of these little coaches lives.
Phase 1, corris red/white, third and first class only
Phase 2, corris red/white, second, third and first classes
Phase 3, Chocolate brown, All classes
Phase 4, Bogie conversion started

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:34 pm

Very helpful! Thanks very much

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:38 pm

if you want any scans of photos or anything let me know I have a huge collection of corris stuff.

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Thanks again!

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:54 pm

Started on this yesterday, the photo shows the ends constructed, next step is the sides. I have to say that I am really pleased with the quality of the kit, everything seems to fit together perfectly!



Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:14 pm

Bit more progress over the last couple of days. I have built the main body and doors and added the beading, next I think I will paint this and then add the detail and handrails. Pic below shows how it looks tonight, the doors are not in it however.
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:39 pm

Looking great Lewis. I found it easier to keep the coach in 3 seperate parts until the very end. Roof, Body and Chassis

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:02 pm

underframe done! just the roof to complete and painting of the brass bits and putting the the parts together and then done. looking forward to getting this finished.

Image

Image

Sir haydn

Post by Sir haydn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:47 pm

looking good Lewis! One thing, the underframe bars at the balcony ends are the wrong way round, the angled ends point inwards. Just mentioned it as I have done similar stuff before and when you look at it at a later date it bugs the hell out of you

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:03 am

thanks, will correct that later!

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:28 pm

I have decided that I after so long i will push to get this finished. I have progressed a bit more with some of the painting and nearly completed the roof. Pictures later or tomorrow hopefully. However due to this coach not actually fitting in with anything i have it may be for sale at the end. I just like the fun of building it!

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:07 pm

Here is a pic of the body posed without anything fixed. As you can see the paintwork still needs touching up in places and the roof finishing. I'm not entirely happy with the roof because it has a slight curve whereas it is not supposed to! )although the angle makes it look alot worse here.
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Done a bit more recently. The brass details are beginning to go on. The painting is pretty much finished bar a few touching up bits. Everything in the photo is placed loosely and the bar brackets are not tight yet.
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Marquis DeCarabas

Post by Marquis DeCarabas » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:12 am

Sir haydn:44785 wrote:I have built 13 of those and own 4 I have the vent and oiler hole combinations etched into my brain! Martin at atropos did do some of the transfers that mine now sports, but they were experimental and dont know if he progressed with them. Also the correct corris red is very hard to find as it has no BS or RAL number and as far as I can see is not close to a railway colour. My paint came from the talyllyn which was matched to original paint found on Sir Haydns wheel.
Not quite true, I'm afraid. I mixed that paint and know the basis for the colour, please don't perpetuate your story above. I'll gladly tell the real version, but it wasn't just matched to the paint on the axle, there's quite a bit more to it than that (and I think you were given the wrong version of the colour anyway!) - however very nice model and the basis for the paint really belongs in another thread.

I (think I can remember how ) can tell you what to do to an existing RAL number to get the colour, then you'll need to alter it for scale. Corris carriage paint was a law unto itself - must dig out the crests sometime.

RGCorris

Corris 4-wheeler

Post by RGCorris » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:25 pm

You chaps seem to have such knowledge of the finer details of these carriages, how about thinking of making a full-size replica that could run on the Corris Railway ?

Richard

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:08 pm

not far to go now. Need to complete the roof and the brakes. Then to buy wheels so that it can be finished. Quite pleased with it, but unfortunately it will still be sold as I nothing to use it with.
Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:15 pm

Theres alot of work gone into that! How much are you selling it for?>
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:29 pm

To be honest I don't really know. I can't actually remember what I payed for it altogether with the vents and axelboxes.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests