Some small projects

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
DolwyddelanLightRail

Some small projects

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Mon May 03, 2010 12:13 pm

Well, finally with Brit in overhaul, some new rolling stock is being made as well (and repairing some old!) I had finally fixed the second "replica" wagon from the "original" D&FGR yesterday, and this happened

Image

Image

And before you ask, no this isn't staged, these pics are as they were found when i *eventually* stopped Pheonix from rolling! So this is back into the workshop! But, there is light at the end of the tunnel, as when i was at Quirks and Curiousities, i got these!

Image

Image

I now need to just paint them to carry on, which is a pain cause i don't have any! But i have to say they are really nice kits to make, and i do recomend them!
(Yes, they were taken on top of a maths past paper!)

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:41 pm

oooooooooooo errrrrrrrrrrrr nasty accident there :shock:
Nice kits. IP?

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Mon May 03, 2010 12:46 pm

90733 wrote:oooooooooooo errrrrrrrrrrrr nasty accident there  :shock:
Nice kits. IP?
The glue on the axlebox failed, you can see it in the top picture by the other wagon!

Yeah, both from IP 4 Plank Wagon and the Penrhyn Open Coach

User avatar
90733
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1955
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:17 pm
Location: West Yorkshire
Contact:

Post by 90733 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:00 pm

DolwyddelanLightRail wrote:
90733 wrote:oooooooooooo errrrrrrrrrrrr nasty accident there  :shock:
Nice kits. IP?
The glue on the axlebox failed, you can see it in the top picture by the other wagon!

Yeah, both from IP 4 Plank Wagon and the Penrhyn Open Coach
ow ye, just seen that. It's easily fixible though? (well i'm taking it is)
The IP kits are good aren't they :D

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Mon May 03, 2010 1:14 pm

90733 wrote:
DolwyddelanLightRail wrote:
90733 wrote:oooooooooooo errrrrrrrrrrrr nasty accident there  :shock:
Nice kits. IP?
The glue on the axlebox failed, you can see it in the top picture by the other wagon!

Yeah, both from IP 4 Plank Wagon and the Penrhyn Open Coach
ow ye, just seen that. It's easily fixible though? (well i'm taking it is)
The IP kits are good aren't they :D
The plastic itself it very firm, shame the glue failed, as i lost all but one of the placers to hold the wheelset in the bearing, so i need to find a way round that at some point!

I love the IP kits, it toom me between 3-4 hours to get them to that stage! and i really enjoyed it! :D

Tom

Post by Tom » Mon May 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Shame to hear about your little accident,

The Penrhyn Coach and the Wagon look excellent :D really thinking about getting one of those coaches now, just havent got alot of money at the moment :(

Tom

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:00 pm

The wagon and coach look excellent! :D

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri May 28, 2010 11:02 am

What Livery do you guys think I should have the carrige in, as i really am stuck! I'm not sure on what colours to use at all :? and I'm getting all the paints within the next few days :?

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 826
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:22 pm

Post by made-in-england » Fri May 28, 2010 11:40 am

Purply pinky for the penryn like this..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adneish/45 ... 930898172/

Like zonk.
Passengers are reminded not to tease the engines

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri May 28, 2010 11:49 am

Nice set of photo's there M - I - E! Thanks for sharing :D

taliesin001

Post by taliesin001 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:44 pm

i agree with the purpley pink colour for the penrhyn coach. They look great in that colour, and authentic.

made-in-england
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 826
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 4:22 pm

Post by made-in-england » Fri May 28, 2010 3:54 pm

Narrow Minded wrote:Nice set of photo's there M - I - E! Thanks for sharing :D
Sadly not mine.. all credit must go to the gentleman who keeps the Guildford Model Engineers site uptogether.
Passengers are reminded not to tease the engines

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri May 28, 2010 6:17 pm

I teaked mine with olive seats. Thus it fits in with the new carriages and with the old. They looks nice in teak but what ever suits you. You will also have to consider a consistent livery to go with your two other carriages....
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

laalratty

Post by laalratty » Fri May 28, 2010 8:48 pm

I say paint them whatever colour you want, surely there must be a livery out there that you think you would want your coaches to be in. Of course you could go for the Welsh Highland in the 1930's look and paint them all different colours...

DolwyddelanLightRail

Post by DolwyddelanLightRail » Fri May 28, 2010 9:09 pm

Hmmmm, i would use the original colours in the pics, but i don't think they'll go well on the other 2

I keep on thinking about putting them in a Cream and Olive livery, simular to yours Laalratty but then again there are probably quite a few railways out there with the same livery as well :| I'll just see what takes my eye!

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Fri May 28, 2010 9:14 pm

Image
Like me, my old carriages are olive and cream. I want to fund a "nuttier" olive though. I think they are very attractive little carriages in a train of three. Also consider what you think looks good with your locomotives. Brown and cream is a fairly safe bet. Incidentally the red/green carriage was a post office carriage but became the skeleton for my MOTY carriage!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri May 28, 2010 9:59 pm

I can sympathise with your problem over choosing a "corporate image" :?

You're either lucky enough to know exactly what you want or you struggle to pick something that you're gonna have to live with. (Or face the ache of repainting - I should have listed that one under my "Garden Railway Dislikes"!)

Don't ask me how I know :oops:

Endless, Nameless

Post by Endless, Nameless » Fri May 28, 2010 11:11 pm

See now, just running freight makes life so much easier... grey primer rattlecan or red oxide primer rattlecan? *flips coin*...  :lol:

Maybe I'm just unimaginative.

Best thing I can suggesting is finding a railway book and flicking through 'till something takes your fancy. It sounds like you want to be a bit different, the trouble is the popular choices are so popular because they look the best!

I remember the Teifi Valley having a few sky blue and clotted cream yellow liveried coaches years ago, which ran mixed in with the standard chocolate and cream ones and looked absolutely awful!

Narrow Minded

Post by Narrow Minded » Fri May 28, 2010 11:30 pm

Best thing I can suggesting is finding a railway book and flicking through 'till something takes your fancy.
Then, stop looking, close the book, start painting.
If you don't, you will see something else that you like and the whole thing just goes round and round!

(Again, don't ask :roll: )

Endless, Nameless

Post by Endless, Nameless » Fri May 28, 2010 11:32 pm

:lol:

Seriously, red oxide primer is the way forwards- cheap, easy, hides mistakes well...

Not sure it'd work well on an open coach though :|

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests