Wow!!

Links to and discussion of garden railway video footage or videos of real railways which might inspire members with their modelling
Post Reply
User avatar
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 8018
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Wow!!

Post by ge_rik » Wed Oct 07, 2026 9:09 am

From the comments, it seems this railway is located in the USA. I wish I could get my track laying and ballast to be half as good. And as for live steam slow running .......



Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

User avatar
SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 pm
Location: West Wales
Contact:

Re: Wow!!

Post by SimonWood » Wed Oct 07, 2026 9:22 am

100% agree with your comments Rik. But also, I thought - that has to be new laid track, how can it be so neat? But then, look at the maturity of the scale trees - which also add hugely to the atmosphere. And that tunnel - looks like it has been blasted out of solid rock. Even the positioning of the camera is perfect in giving you that real feeling of watching something that's actually be filmed from a train. Just extraordinary realism.
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

User avatar
Peter Butler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 5723
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
Location: West Wales

Re: Wow!!

Post by Peter Butler » Wed Oct 07, 2026 10:32 am

Wow indeed! A beautiful landscape setting and well filmed video. Most impressive.
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?

User avatar
Ianm
Cleaner
Cleaner
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon May 02, 2022 8:16 am

Re: Wow!!

Post by Ianm » Wed Oct 07, 2026 7:26 pm

Stunning details all round the route. The tunnel is already mentioned. I loved the wing wall built from thin blocks. And the vegetation is super neat and appropriate. Great video.
Ian M
WIRL

User avatar
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1515
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:50 am
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Wow!!

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:40 am

It is a stunning railway in every respect. I think the realism has been enhanced by playing/recording at about half speed.
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

User avatar
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 8018
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Wow!!

Post by ge_rik » Thu Oct 08, 2026 8:05 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:40 am It is a stunning railway in every respect. I think the realism has been enhanced by playing/recording at about half speed.
I'm not so sure. If you play it at double speed (controls in top right corner) then the background foliage towards the end of the film moves in an unrealistic way. Even at 1.25x normal the foliage looks over-animated.

Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

User avatar
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 8018
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Wow!!

Post by ge_rik » Thu Oct 08, 2026 8:15 am

A series of lineside shots in this video. The quality of the painting and the setting really shines through.




Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

User avatar
Lonsdaler
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1515
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 9:50 am
Location: North Yorkshire

Re: Wow!!

Post by Lonsdaler » Thu Oct 08, 2026 9:51 am

ge_rik wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 8:05 am
Lonsdaler wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:40 am It is a stunning railway in every respect. I think the realism has been enhanced by playing/recording at about half speed.
I'm not so sure. If you play it at double speed (controls in top right corner) then the background foliage towards the end of the film moves in an unrealistic way. Even at 1.25x normal the foliage looks over-animated.

Rik
Interesting. I played it at 2x and thought it made it more 'realistic' in terms of how I would expect a 16mm steam loco to run; but of course it looks more 1:1 at the speed the maker has chosen. None of which detracts from the work and effort that's gone into making that a very special railway. I just hope the plywood buildings will be weatherproofed and perhaps brought in during the worst weather.😊
Phil

Sporadic Garden Railer who's inconsistencies know no bounds

My Line - https://gardenrails.org/forum/viewtopic ... 41&t=11077

User avatar
SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 pm
Location: West Wales
Contact:

Re: Wow!!

Post by SimonWood » Thu Oct 08, 2026 10:51 am

Lonsdaler wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 9:51 am Interesting. I played it at 2x and thought it made it more 'realistic' in terms of how I would expect a 16mm steam loco to run;
My expectations of how a steam loco runs have been recalibrated by seeing a couple of locos with slomos running recently. I'm about 95% certain there is a slomo in this Jack (co-incidentally one of the locos with a slomo I saw was a 7/8th Jack).
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

User avatar
ge_rik
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 8018
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
Location: Cheshire
Contact:

Re: Wow!!

Post by ge_rik » Thu Oct 08, 2026 6:26 pm

SimonWood wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2026 10:51 am My expectations of how a steam loco runs have been recalibrated by seeing a couple of locos with slomos running recently. I'm about 95% certain there is a slomo in this Jack (co-incidentally one of the locos with a slomo I saw was a 7/8th Jack).
I posted a comment on YouTube about the slow running and if a Slomo was used and got this response from the original poster
The video is shown at full speed and yes two Slomo devices were used: one between Jack's frames and the other in a coal wagon at the end of the train
Rik
------------------------
Peckforton Light Railway - Blog Facebook Youtube

User avatar
SimonWood
Trainee Driver
Trainee Driver
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:46 pm
Location: West Wales
Contact:

Re: Wow!!

Post by SimonWood » Thu Oct 08, 2026 7:52 pm

TWO slomos! That's the first time I've come across that. Clearly pays off though.
Rheilffordd Moel Rhos: blog - photos - videos

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests