I.P. Engineering Penryhn coach

Discussion of Rolling Stock related topics should go here
Post Reply
MTA

I.P. Engineering Penryhn coach

Post by MTA » Sat May 16, 2009 7:24 pm

As seen elsewhere, I bought one of I.P.'s new Penryhn coaches today.

At nearly half the price of the Brandbright one (which it seems will also be lasercut soon) I had to grab one.

Here is the progress so far:

Image

This is the first lasercut kit I have built, and it goes together a treat. The frame sides needed sanding to length (which I wasn't expecting but otherwise this kit has been a dream to assemble so far.

More pictures as assembly continues, I can't do much sanding at the moment as the dust will set off my cold moreso...

SillyBilly

Post by SillyBilly » Sat May 16, 2009 7:41 pm

That's coming together nice and quick

User avatar
andysleigh
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1362
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:21 pm
Location: Guildford
Contact:

Post by andysleigh » Sat May 16, 2009 8:19 pm

that was quick!
Image

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Sat May 16, 2009 9:49 pm

Remember to gently sand all the laser-cut edges - they absorb paint like one-oh!

SillyBilly

Post by SillyBilly » Sat May 16, 2009 9:56 pm

Thanks Brian, I shall use that tip when I build my next one!

MTA

Post by MTA » Sat May 16, 2009 10:04 pm

MDLR wrote:Remember to gently sand all the laser-cut edges - they absorb paint like one-oh!
And glue, as I found out quite quickly!

Chris

Post by Chris » Sat May 16, 2009 10:22 pm

You don't hang about.

MTA

Post by MTA » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:56 pm

A bit of a wait, but this project has made a little step forward.

I've just ordered a 'sample pot' from Farrow & Ball of the correct colour, which is Brinjal. F&B are renowned for making the highest quality paint in the UK, and they are also the only people that produce Brinjal.

http://www.farrow-ball.com/productdetai ... uage=en-GB

Once that arrives I can make huge leaps in finishing the coach.

I'll also be purchasing a set of curly spoke wheels from AnDel in a couple of weeks time, as they are prototypical and the wheelsets supplied by IP are slightly bent!

SillyBilly

Post by SillyBilly » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:45 pm

MTA wrote:the wheelsets supplied by IP are slightly bent!
Phone him up he won't hesitate in sending you a new set.

mhlr
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4336
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Shropshire, England

Post by mhlr » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:21 pm

MTA wrote:I've just ordered a 'sample pot' from Farrow & Ball of the correct colour, which is Brinjal. F&B are renowned for making the highest quality paint in the UK, and they are also the only people that produce Brinjal.
Aye, we use their paints in the houses my parents have done up over the years... They're extremely good paints, and their sample pots are just right for us guys! :D
Image

MDLR

Post by MDLR » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:16 pm

MTA wrote:I've just ordered a 'sample pot' from Farrow & Ball of the correct colour, which is Brinjal. F&B are renowned for making the highest quality paint in the UK, and they are also the only people that produce Brinjal.
I can't quite remember where, but somebody told me that there's a healthy trade in (big, clean) empty F&B paint tins - decorators get the colours matched at B&Q and put the paint in F&B tins, and charge for F&B paints!

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:21 pm

I didn't realise that IP made penryn coaches. THey arn't on their website :| ?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

SillyBilly

Post by SillyBilly » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:34 pm

It's a newish product, and they are usually slow at updates, phone him if you want one is my advice.

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:41 pm

OK, they look nice, are there any pictures of the carriage in realtion to locos or stock, I find pictures on thier own decieving, My railway is small and I was nearly fooled into buying some Pure and simple carriageswhich are huge!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:42 pm

how much do they cost?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

MTA

Post by MTA » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:44 pm

Mr. Bond of the DVLR wrote:how much do they cost?
£29.95

We have two replicas at Amberley, one has just been overhauled (and to a very high standard of finish) and the other is waiting attention after the whitemetal disappeared out of one of the bearings :oops:

http://www.amberleynarrowgauge.co.uk/cl ... ervice.htm

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:57 pm

thankyou very much and nice pictures, there don't seem to be many toastrack carriages on the market and considering many many preserved railways use them I am supprised!
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

User avatar
Dr. Bond of the DVLR
Retired Director
Retired Director
Posts: 4533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm
Location: Suffolk
Contact:

Post by Dr. Bond of the DVLR » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:47 pm

I have gone and bought a penrhyn carriage to modify,
Sorry I just cannot build something without putting my touch on it!!
I got it today and the body is allready built, the seats are my carriage olive green and I shall teak it up to look all lovely!I may put a roof onit!
How is yours coming along?
Image
The railway which people forgot
(to build)

MTA

Post by MTA » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:25 am

It isn't. :lol:

I've got to get a new set of paintbrushes, and new wheelsets.

MoelygestLR

Post by MoelygestLR » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:38 pm

i also have one of these kits. fully painted and almost complete.

really like the idea of working brake gear but, on the two soul bars only one has a holder for the brake gear and its on the same side as the one with the holder for the actual lever so i need to knock myself up another one and align it accordingly.

I know if I tell Ivan he will send me out another but for the sake of a 15 minute job i think its not worth it. hes already been more than generous with me in the past so I think I can sort this one on my own.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests