A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
-
GWR
Post
by GWR » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:57 pm
Hi I have started the groundwork to my first garden layout. The layout will be a 5ft radius circular layout. I’m planning on using MSS track without any points which should be ideal for a couple of my clockwork locomotives and my Millie.
The layout will be 2ft high with a tree growing through the middle of the layout and shrubbery around the edges of the layout.
The posts will be concreted in and weather treated boards will be fitted around the edges.

- 68F8F7B5-4365-4F3E-8578-4CFC15C222D5.jpeg (489.93 KiB) Viewed 8153 times
-
ge_rik
- Administrator

- Posts: 8010
- Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 pm
- Location: Cheshire
-
Contact:
Post
by ge_rik » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:08 pm
Sounds like a promising start. Also looks like there also might be room for future expansion
Rik
-
IanC
- Trainee Driver

- Posts: 799
- Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:15 am
- Location: Nr. Warrington, Cheshire
Post
by IanC » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:19 pm
ge_rik wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:08 pm
Sounds like a promising start. Also looks like there also might be room for future expansion
Rik
I was thinking the same. It's a good plan not to start with something too ambitious.
Ian
-
GWR
Post
by GWR » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:26 pm
ge_rik wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:08 pm
Sounds like a promising start. Also looks like there also might be room for future expansion
Rik
Hi Rik thanks. You are right there is plenty of room for expansion but I will start small to start with as I have seen some lovely circular garden layouts.

-
GWR
Post
by GWR » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:28 pm
IanC wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:19 pm
ge_rik wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:08 pm
Sounds like a promising start. Also looks like there also might be room for future expansion
Rik
I was thinking the same. It's a good plan not to start with something too ambitious.
Hi Ian thanks. I was thinking the same, I’m not to sure about using concreting posts in the winter and is it possible in the winter.

-
tom_tom_go
- Driver

- Posts: 4824
- Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
- Location: Kent, UK
-
Contact:
Post
by tom_tom_go » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:29 pm
Having any size railway is better than no railway at all.
At least you will finish it!
-
GWR
Post
by GWR » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:34 pm
tom_tom_go wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:29 pm
Having any size railway is better than no railway at all.
At least you will finish it!
Thanks tom_tom_go I’m in unknown territory but I’m certain a small bit of progress each time I will conquer my layout build.
-
GWR
Post
by GWR » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:37 pm
This morning I managed to get my posts concreted while it’s mild outside, also soil has been spread over the top of the concrete to protect it. Battons have been fixed in place for extra strength and support. Once all set treated boards will be fitted around the edges and on the top for the track bed. Picture of my progress.

- 2A29FCCA-AAB9-4DD4-B63C-8E097DE48751.jpeg (340.05 KiB) Viewed 8075 times
-
Peter Butler
- Driver

- Posts: 5721
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 pm
- Location: West Wales
Post
by Peter Butler » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:36 pm
Very tidy work there.... it looks as though you have used 3 x 2 studding which is probably not treated against rot. Have you used preservative where the wood is in the ground?
The best things in life are free.... so why am I doing this?
-
GWR
Post
by GWR » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:29 pm
Peter Butler wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:36 pm
Very tidy work there.... it looks as though you have used 3 x 2 studding which is probably not treated against rot. Have you used preservative where the wood is in the ground?
Hi Peter yes I have used 3x2 studding which has been treated at my local timber merchants. I know the wood does look light in the photo but all timber is bought treated.

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests