Vale of Fairway
-
bazzer42
-
big-ted
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:13 pm
- Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Very nice. I love the 'dent' in one of them!
Out of interest, what are the main dimensions of each skip? Height from rail, max width, max length etc?
I' trying to figure out how much I need to scale down the 7/8 tipper I recently built. I was quite surprised when I met up with some other gents running 7/8's stock the other day to find that my little tipper was dwarfed, so I'm thinking I might not be too far off for it to look convincing in 16mm!
Out of interest, what are the main dimensions of each skip? Height from rail, max width, max length etc?
I' trying to figure out how much I need to scale down the 7/8 tipper I recently built. I was quite surprised when I met up with some other gents running 7/8's stock the other day to find that my little tipper was dwarfed, so I'm thinking I might not be too far off for it to look convincing in 16mm!
-
bazzer42
Hi Big Ted,
Chassis is abou 70mm x 160mm. The skip is from lgb and measures 93mm long and abot 98mm wide by52mm deep. The wagon stands 87 mm including the flanges so probably about 85 mm in height.
Cold in Canada? We had an artic blast for two days and the whole of England was in a mad state of awareness - in the end we had a sprinkling of icing sugar. Made the railway look pretty though
Chassis is abou 70mm x 160mm. The skip is from lgb and measures 93mm long and abot 98mm wide by52mm deep. The wagon stands 87 mm including the flanges so probably about 85 mm in height.
Cold in Canada? We had an artic blast for two days and the whole of England was in a mad state of awareness - in the end we had a sprinkling of icing sugar. Made the railway look pretty though
- GTB
- Driver

- Posts: 1719
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:46 pm
- Location: Australia
Skips came in a range of sizes. As an example, the Hudson 'Rugga' type skip was available in a range from 1/2 cu.yd. up to 2 cu.yd.big-ted:122277 wrote:Out of interest, what are the main dimensions of each skip? Height from rail, max width, max length etc?
I' trying to figure out how much I need to scale down the 7/8 tipper I recently built.
Lynn Zelmer has a scan of a postwar Hudson catalogue on his website and the basic dimensions of the 'Rugga' skips are listed on page 43.
http://www.zelmeroz.com/album_rail/uk/m ... als-gs.pdf
It may be that your little tipper works out to be a 1/2 cu.yd. one. It may also be that the other models were based on the Bachmann one, which is big even in 7/8" scale, let alone 16mm scale.
Regards,
Graeme
-
bazzer42
-
bazzer42
-
big-ted
- Trainee Fireman

- Posts: 239
- Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:13 pm
- Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Heh. Vancouver is very similar to my hometown of Reading, (the UK one) in that when we get a dusting of snow, the whole town grinds to a halt and the rest of the country mocks us for not being able to cope...bazzer42:122279 wrote:Hi Big Ted,
Chassis is abou 70mm x 160mm. The skip is from lgb and measures 93mm long and abot 98mm wide by52mm deep. The wagon stands 87 mm including the flanges so probably about 85 mm in height.
Cold in Canada? We had an artic blast for two days and the whole of England was in a mad state of awareness - in the end we had a sprinkling of icing sugar. Made the railway look pretty though :D
Back to trains, I appreciate the link to the Hudson catalogue. Fascinating! Interesting that my skip is very comparable to yours in size, having a chassis of 65*140, a height to rail of ~85mm, and a slightly larger skip of 110mm wide by 105mm long.
Going by the catalogue, the largest, 2 cubic yard Rugga tipper would have been quite a bit smaller, at 77 mm high, 85mm wide at the skip, and on a 125mm long chassis. It looks like there are lots of options in the catalogue larger in capacity though, all be it to a slightly different design, so I think this might be a case where rule 8 applies!
-
bazzer42
Re: Vale of Fairway
I've just lost the lost the last post attempt so will post these pictures and then type....
If you see pictures it's thanks to Tom's IT skills, if there is nothing it is my IT skills....
If you see pictures it's thanks to Tom's IT skills, if there is nothing it is my IT skills....
Last edited by bazzer42 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
bazzer42
Re: Vale of Fairway
Woo hoo, we're in business.
After a 4mm winter break and then a mad season of bridge sales I have got the garden habit back.
EBay recently offered the chance to buy an assembled Accucraft Baldrig. Well it would have been rude not to... Ted is wondering whether I will eventually steam this blighter after having had it a month. In my defence we have had a poorly post op mother in law to look after. Quite looking forward to trying manual control. I was looking for a Regner Vincent when this came up and subsequently a new batch have arrived from Germany and the cash is gone...Dear brexit hasn't done much for pricing and not sure whether the latest fiasco will have an impact on future prices.
I have always wanted a set of log Bolsters and bought some lgb carrier mouldings as spares when I ordered tipper bodies. Over the winter there has been some radical pruning of a hazel hedge on our usual dog walk so some nice straight "logs" came our way. The last bolster will have a brake assembly and thinking perhaps a storage box is needed on the other to hold chains and wedges. So long since the last wagon build I can't recall how I weathered my wagons. The advantage of getting old, everything is new learning (including posting on a new forum with a new tablet!).
It is nice to be back but feel a bit guilty when reading and catching up on posts,. I will feel just as bad when I go back to rmweb next winter
After a 4mm winter break and then a mad season of bridge sales I have got the garden habit back.
EBay recently offered the chance to buy an assembled Accucraft Baldrig. Well it would have been rude not to... Ted is wondering whether I will eventually steam this blighter after having had it a month. In my defence we have had a poorly post op mother in law to look after. Quite looking forward to trying manual control. I was looking for a Regner Vincent when this came up and subsequently a new batch have arrived from Germany and the cash is gone...Dear brexit hasn't done much for pricing and not sure whether the latest fiasco will have an impact on future prices.
I have always wanted a set of log Bolsters and bought some lgb carrier mouldings as spares when I ordered tipper bodies. Over the winter there has been some radical pruning of a hazel hedge on our usual dog walk so some nice straight "logs" came our way. The last bolster will have a brake assembly and thinking perhaps a storage box is needed on the other to hold chains and wedges. So long since the last wagon build I can't recall how I weathered my wagons. The advantage of getting old, everything is new learning (including posting on a new forum with a new tablet!).
It is nice to be back but feel a bit guilty when reading and catching up on posts,. I will feel just as bad when I go back to rmweb next winter
- tom_tom_go
- Driver

- Posts: 4824
- Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
- Location: Kent, UK
- Contact:
Re: Vale of Fairway
All looking good, I like the track and it's surroundings as well.
Any chance of seeing it all in action?
Any chance of seeing it all in action?
-
bazzer42
Re: Vale of Fairway
Blooming hell! It took me 24 hrs to load pictures. I do love a challenge and have to admit I don't operate enough, no automatic couplers though.... 
- Soar Valley Light
- Driver

- Posts: 1490
- Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm
- Location: North West Leicestershire
Re: Vale of Fairway
Hi Bazzer,
Thanks for posting those photos, they are absolutely great. Your line looks so established, I love your planting, it works really well, This is great inspiration, especially for those of us at the building stage.
Andrew
Thanks for posting those photos, they are absolutely great. Your line looks so established, I love your planting, it works really well, This is great inspiration, especially for those of us at the building stage.
Andrew
"Smith! Why do you only come to work four days a week?
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"
"'cause I can't manage on three gaffer!"
-
bazzer42
Re: Vale of Fairway
Thanks Andrew, I think your railway is going to be a cracker. There are so many different things I would have done track laying if I had done a little more research and planning beforehand.
A bit of bolster work after dinner and platforms have been added with some plastic rivets from my brother. They came from a gauge O guild meet but are too big for 7mm. They are lovely to use as they have a split in the shaft to give slight wedge so they push fit in a 1.5mm hole without the need for glue.
A bit of bolster work after dinner and platforms have been added with some plastic rivets from my brother. They came from a gauge O guild meet but are too big for 7mm. They are lovely to use as they have a split in the shaft to give slight wedge so they push fit in a 1.5mm hole without the need for glue.
Last edited by bazzer42 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
bazzer42
Re: Vale of Fairway
Playing with picture posting. If this works 15 and 16 are slowly taking shape. And it didn't and fotobucket has gone ropey on me. 
- LNR
- Driver

- Posts: 1897
- Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:26 am
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Vale of Fairway
The suspense is building!!!
Grant.
Grant.
-
bazzer42
Re: Vale of Fairway
Well Grant, hardly worth the wait! Need to glue the Bolsters on and then add some securing brackets.
Last edited by bazzer42 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
bazzer42
Re: Vale of Fairway
Babysitting tonight but had a brainwave last night. I always planned a tanker wagon and when I saw the Modelearth budget two part tanker wagon for £23 i couldn't be bothered to scratch build a tank. Unfortunately the tank and chassis are one moulding, the second being the filler. I much preferred a skip chassis and managed to trim the chassis off leaving a tank and Base. Not convinced with the filler and may trim that down or build another.
Last edited by bazzer42 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
jim@NAL
- Driver

- Posts: 1142
- Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:01 am
- Location: haverhill suffok
Re: Vale of Fairway
looking good very nice pictures
-
bazzer42
Re: Vale of Fairway
So far so good, brackets and bolster fitted and it has been successfully hand pushed around reverse curves. I may yet get some video for Mr Tom Tom before too long.
Last edited by bazzer42 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
- LNR
- Driver

- Posts: 1897
- Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:26 am
- Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Vale of Fairway
Ah yes, worth the wait!
Grant.
Grant.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests