Vale of Fairway

A place for the discussion of garden railways and any garden style/scale portable and/or indoor layouts
Post Reply
Maple
Trainee Fireman
Trainee Fireman
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:17 pm
Location: Bournemouth

Post by Maple » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:22 am

Lovelly model , but can not help noticing the giant gruffalo in the background, looks great :)
'Professional Bodge artist '

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:53 am

Tis but a baby gruffalo, the wife's Christmas present last year. The local heritage centre had a gruffalo trail and stil have some 7 footers on display. The local carvers can produce them under licence but I can't charge you for looking.

Have to confess the cab style has come from elsewhere on the forum. It is laminated so I can drop the glazing in after painting, a 16mm mag idea. Next step is a floor and control panel if I can find some pictures for ideas.

Dwayne

Post by Dwayne » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:13 pm

Great looking loco. Since you're interested in 7/8ths, consider a visit to the SE Lounge... http://www.7-8ths.info

Here's a photo of my still incomplete 7/8ths Bachmann Davenport:

Image

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks Dwayne, a nice exhaust idea there. I also need to do something around the baguley radiator grill as it is very flat.
I do visit the lounge, there are some clever people on there and plenty of inspiration.

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:53 pm

A bit of progress. Red and white chevrons were a disaster with the chunky rivets.  Body needs a touch up following a glue overload problem  :roll:
After the roof it's electronics time, my wiring is more messy than my gluing so should be fun.  Driver on order from Rob Bennett along with a couple of skips but not picking up until Exeter.
Image
Image

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Image
Image
A few loose ends to tidy up but i do now have an rc 7/8 diesel. I'm not sure long term whether 6 AA batteries will give enough grunt but did a nice slow crawl this afternoon with a swift sixteen flat.  I need to find something to make small Tee hooks for a coupler on a skip wagon but struggling to think of anything commercial that might work.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:01 am
Location: haverhill suffok

Post by jim@NAL » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:26 pm

looking good

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:40 am

Image
Image
Image

Long time, no post. Lost the garden railway mojo last autumn and spent the winter flirting with a 4mm mini layout. A chance Spring clean and Mrs B throwing away a wooden wind chime re-ignited my waste not, want not approach to railways. The chime was sliced up and became a 7/8th flatty that I will post later. Cost nothing as I had wheels and Binnie boxes in stock.
Keeping my frugal (stingy) approach I have started some 7/8th skip wagons by casting a resin chassis and running them on bachmann wheels and Binnie festiniog boxes that have been hacked about to hide the FR. The tipper is a little deep but it comes from a Playmobil double tipper and at 5 euros (before brexit) seemed a low cost easy way out.
The wagon as shown will be a drab green colour at some point, my Army Painter greenskin was obviously from a Martian make-up kit as it was a very lurid green.
Does anybody else have trouble posting from a Samsung tablet? I spent 2 hours last night being told I was a guest and couldn't post attachments.

User avatar
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Post by tom_tom_go » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:10 am

bazzer42:118879 wrote: Does anybody else have trouble posting from a Samsung tablet?  I spent 2 hours last night being told I was a guest cand couldn't post attachments.
What web browser are you using on the tablet? I use Chrome all the time without issues.

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:33 am

tom_tom_go:118880 wrote:
bazzer42:118879 wrote: Does anybody else have trouble posting from a Samsung tablet?  I spent 2 hours last night being told I was a guest cand couldn't post attachments.
What web browser are you using on the tablet?  I use Chrome all the time without issues.
I don't know (too much of an I.T. thicko) but just gone into internet via google and still struggling.

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:10 pm

Image
Image
Image
Tipper No 7 is there'ish. Army painter Army green has hit the spot for me. Timmy Mallet (sledge?) looks happy. The numbering sequence is simply cumulative as I build or buy. Tipper No 8 is in progress and I feel No 9 will be a man rider brake based on a tipper chassis with no tipper.

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:17 pm

Image
Image
Image
This is the wagon that restarted it built from a derelict wooden wind spinner. Main beams are 12mm ramin and the buffer beams some Chris Bird Wilko bamboo plant name strips. Binnie buffers and couplings complete the build to date. I need to add some nail and rivet detail and a number 6 somewhere. A little crude (so am I) but nice to be back on the railway again.

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:50 am

Image
Image
Image
Mrs B has allowed severe topiary to the fuschia behind my harbour station area. It was menace with regards dropping leaves, flowers and berries but felt guilty cutting it down.
Wagon 9 is a simple flat using a slightly imperfect casting and number 10 ( must practice painting numbers) is a crib from Annies Hunslet catalogue.

User avatar
tom_tom_go
Driver
Driver
Posts: 4824
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:08 am
Location: Kent, UK
Contact:

Post by tom_tom_go » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:02 pm

Those last pictures are great, love the loco.

IrishPeter

Post by IrishPeter » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:16 am

It looks like your line has the same sort of supervisor as mine - a Westie!

Cheers,
Peter in AZ

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:27 am

Bags of character. We have two, Hamish (above) and Archie who was probably spoiling for a fight with his own shadow elsewhere in the garden.
Looking at those close ups need to get some ballasting done. I also need to build a low wall behind the platform to keep a boundary. Quite enjoying the railway again but fear the imminent arrival of first grand child may slow progress, as long as he likes trains who cares?

IrishPeter

Post by IrishPeter » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:23 am

Two Westies here too - Geordie and Giles. Like old-fashioned Coppers they seem to go around in pairs. Geordie is very mellow, but Giles is a loon.

I am afraid the next major railway project here is lifting the existing line in preparation for moving to Virginia. I already have cast my eye over the house we are moving to with a view to where the rails will run!

Cheers,
Peter in AZ

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:43 am

Saw you were moving, good luck with the move. I like the planning and building element and would enjoy a new site to work with but not the upheaval of the move itself.

jim@NAL
Driver
Driver
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:01 am
Location: haverhill suffok

Post by jim@NAL » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:10 pm

lovely wagons

bazzer42

Post by bazzer42 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:48 pm

Thanks Jim, hoping to build a tank wagon next using Annie's Hudson catalogue as a guide....I don't count rivets :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests